Metallica Load/Reload...Garage Inc Tone(s) HELP!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm lookin for tips on closing in on one of the tones mentioned above. I am particularly interested in the onboard Mesa EQ and/or Parametric EQ settings that James would have used to record.

I am using a Mark V Head any tips for settings here would be cool too. I can get a Puppets/Justice tone no prob but now looking to explore with one of these other tones...

I"m stuck tho can't find anything decent.

I've been able to get kind of close by combining my rectifier and C+ simultaneously. As for parametric EQ settings, take a look at Flemming Rasmussen notes in the Metallica subsection of the rigs and tones area.

Yeah I tried those settings. I spent sometime going over those pics and I have my Mark V (C+ mode) and my Rane PE15 (Parametric EQ) dialed in, I find the Justice Rhythm settings to get me a good over all tone - BUT nothing at all close to the tones off of and modern Metallica tones like the albums mentioned above...

I cam across these clips here that some guy did - they sound bang on!! I'd love to get those settings, even a feel for/idea of the EQ curve and frequencies to focus on on the Parametric side too...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1874041

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=298888

Had a sonic breakthrough last night and thought I'd revive this old post. To get the Load/Garage Inc tones just take your favorite Puppets settings and raise the 750 slider to just over the centerline. Sounds wierd at first but once you hear it miced up you will believe. :D

ryjan said:
Had a sonic breakthrough last night and thought I'd revive this old post. To get the Load/Garage Inc tones just take your favorite Puppets settings and raise the 750 slider to just over the centerline. Sounds weird at first but once you hear it miced up you will believe. :D

Here are my settings on the Triaxis for the Load tone:

Gain 6
Treble 6.5
Mid 5
Bass 3
LD Gain 1: 0
LD Gain 2: 7.5
Presence 5
Master Volume 5.0
A/B Output 5 (both of them)

2:Ninety Settings
Volume at Noon
Presence at 9.5

I'm using a Gibson Les Paul Custom with EMG 81/85 pickups

Hi Guys!
I'm new to the board and this is my first post.
I'm trying too to get closer to Hetfield's main cruch tone on Load/Garage Inc albums, well, I'm happy of the tone that I'm currently using, but I would like to get closer to the best tone ever on metallica albums. I know that a big part of it it's the custom eq that James have used and that is stored in his rack probably in the unit with the 2 box looking things on the front placed just below the mesa high gain amp switcher on his 2008 rack review, when he started to blend it with the diezel.
I've heard that unit is actually a mesa studio preamp that has been defaced and used only as eq (I don't know if the whole setup and the custom eq is stereo or mono, but actually I'm using a stereo setup on my main rig). After many years I've finally made it and building my main setup:
1- Juice Goose power conditioner ground loop control 320
2- Korg "ToneWorks" DTR-1 rack tuner
3- Sony WRR-840 wireless system
4- Nady 1200 Wireless system
5- Dunlop DCR-2SR custom rack wah
6- Mesa/Boogie TriAxis preamp
7- T.C. Electronics M2000 (really hard to set up, I actually using it to simulate ambient)
8- T.C. Electronics Triple C stereo compressor
9- Rocktron Hush IIC
10- Mesa/Boogie 20/20 power amp
- Mesa/Boogie 4x12 oversized w/ Mesa Black Shadow EV EVM12L 2000W
- Behringer FCB1010 foot controller
I'm actually waiting a mesa high gain amp switcher to arrive and still searching for a roland jc-120 head to use for clean tones.
There is someone who knows more things about Hetfield's tone or who is more skilled than me would like to help me? I can provide some pics and wirings if needed.
Thanks!

Hey welcome,

here is a list of many pieces and some settings james used:

http://www.montyjay.com/jamesamps.html

lots of his amps including triaxis are modified, so that plus the stuff they do to the sound in studio make it really hard to be spot on. you can get close, and as long as you like the tone, nothing else matters. :)

scott

Thanks!
I know Monty Jay from long time and I was inspired by his fantastic website in building my rack.
I know that a lot of James's equipments aren't stock and I know that his main tone in the late '90's came from the modified triaxis. I cannot find any good info on that too, and I prefer to not go messing inside my unit.
Thanks for the info in anyway ;)

I'm getting real close to nailing the load/reload tone with my DC-5.
Gain: a hair over 8
Treble: 7.25
Mid: 4
Bass: 2
Pres: 6
Master 3.5
Output: 3.75
Graphic EQ; 80hz bottom of slider covering center line
240hz same as 80hz
750hz top of slider just below center line
2200hz same as 80hz
6600hz bottom of slider just above center line

Then I have a Gmajor in a series modded loop with the parmetric eq set up
3500hz +3db @1oct
4600hz +4db @1oct

Guitar is an ESP EXP with EMG 81/60 combo

MesaGod666 said:
Here are my settings on the Triaxis for the Load tone:

Gain 6
Treble 6.5
Mid 5
Bass 3
LD Gain 1: 0
LD Gain 2: 7.5
Presence 5
Master Volume 5.0
A/B Output 5 (both of them)

2:Ninety Settings
Volume at Noon
Presence at 9.5

Just a couple of quick questions - if you turn it down, to say, volume at 9 o'clock, what would you change to get approximately the same tone? What's your Dynamic Voice setting? Presence 9.5 means 9.5/10 or between 9 and 10 o'clock?

Sorry for the bombardment, but I really like that tone aswell, and I haven't gotten around to nailing yet on my own, I found this thread and I thought "hey, nice!", but I gotta clear things up, so I spend as little time as possible to get 80% there and tweak when I have more time.

Latest posts

Back