Lonestar Reverb Problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R_Rbnsn

Reaction score
Hi guys,

For months the Mesa Lonestar has been on the top of my "most wanted gear" list and today after 8 months of saving up my hard earned cash I finally bought one second hand in excellent condition. Of course I've been sat playing with it for a few hours, getting acquainted with my beloved new amp, however I seem to be having an issue with the reverb which I hoped you might be able to help me with.

It seems that the reverb doesn't seem to be working at all for either of the channels, even when the level at the back is set to max I'm getting nothing. If you rock the amp or tap the reverb tank then you get the typical reverb spring rumble so it seems it is working to some extent, however it just doesn't seem to be adding any reverb to the guitar signal at all. The guy I bought it off said he's never used the reverb and therefore didn't really have any insight into why it wasn't working, and I've read here that new users unfamiliar with the Lonestar may have issues with it seeming to not work; however I don't seem to be having any luck so far and just wondered if anyone had any insight and might be able to help before I take it to my tech.

Like I say it still makes the typical reverb rumble sound if you tap the tank so it makes me think there must be something I'm either not doing or there is some connection somewhere that isn't being made... I'm sure it must be something simple I'm just not doing, and obviously I'd rather fix it than give it to my tech to be fixed!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

PS. It's not a Lonestar Special, so does that make it a Lonestar Classic? It has only the two power options of 50 and 100 watts. Just wanted to know!

Hi

First off you do have the Classic. I have the Special and had reverb issues with mine. I ended up getting a new reverb tank, (about 35 quid I think) from TAD, (Tube Amp Doctor). The other thing you could try is changing out the valve associated with the reverb circuit, (the manual will tell you which valve drives the reverb). Other than checking all the connections I can't really think of anything else.

Good Luck

Check the RCA jacks and the ft switch in the amp where the reverb wires are connected to. It's so tight there that sometimes one of the contact touches the ground and basically bypass the reverb circuit.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I've had a look inside the amp and the RCA connections just on the inside when you look in seem to be connected okay. The reverb tank itself however is in the bottom of the amp and is covered in a case which is strapped down. Do I need to remove this to check the connections at that end? How does one remove it?

Thanks

Ryan

Do this easy thing first. plug a ft switch in the rev ft switch jack and see if the issue is w/ the switch. If this jack is shorted, you won't get any rev.
To completely check the rev yes you do need to. Unscrew the strap screw and just take that whole bag out. take the tank out of the bag. Disconnect the rca wire. Do you have an ohm meter? use that to see if the wire or the jacks on the chassis is shorted.

Hi guys,

Just to let you know I've gotten the reverb problem fixed. After giving it to my tech he discovered the wires inside the tank itself had torn away (probably from being shaken/wheeled on the castors) and he managed to reconnect them. It cost around £30 to have it repaired (just in case anyone else is experiencing the same problem).

Thanks for all your suggestions along the way

Latest posts

Back