3 Channel Recto Presence Mod....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So... is the reverse true? Will putting a 100K in the 2nd channel make it sound like the 3rd channel?

RGT said:
So... is the reverse true? Will putting a 100K in the 2nd channel make it sound like the 3rd channel?

They will not sound exactly the same, due to the lack of negative feedback on the red channel, but it may make them sound more similar.

I have a question for all you recto players, how does your channel 2 compare to your stock channel 3 in vintage mode?

on my recto the presence at 12:00 on channel 2 seems to be roughly equivalent to 3:00 on channel 3. This is the opposite to what is written in the manual which suggests that there should be more presence available on channel 3.

interestingly when both channels are voiced to modern it works as described in the manual and channel 3 has more presence available than 2

is this normal or is my recto crazy or am i crazy? ;)

mooooooo said:
I have a question for all you recto players, how does your channel 2 compare to your stock channel 3 in vintage mode?

on my recto the presence at 12:00 on channel 2 seems to be roughly equivalent to 3:00 on channel 3. This is the opposite to what is written in the manual which suggests that there should be more presence available on channel 3.

interestingly when both channels are voiced to modern it works as described in the manual and channel 3 has more presence available than 2

You might want to have it looked at. That's not the way it's supposed to work.

mooooooo said:

Hey,

If you look at the post I made called "Presence Knob Trouble", I describe the exact same thing with a Road King II. Several other users commented that they've noticed exactly the same thing as well with Roadsters and a Rectoverb. I never noticed it before because I rarely turned channel 4 to vintage.

The reason for this (I believe) is due to the increased presence pot value drastically reducing the sensitivity of the knob in Raw and Vintage modes on ch4.. it won't actually give the Raw and Vintage modes more or less presence. You'll notice that if you near-dime (or dime) the knob on both channels they'll be equally bright in Raw and Vintage modes.

Modern mode is the exception because it naturally has so many of those higher frequencies that get attenuated by the presence control, and thus it benefits more (i.e. gets more sweep) from the increased sensitivity/range of the presence knob.

RoadKinger483 said:
My problem with the rectos are the clean channel........ I'd like a better mid and treble control without overdriving the channel....you know, SQUEAKY CLEAN!!!
Me too! My 3 channel Recto is my first real amp. I love it and have tweaked the rock/metal tones even more with a tube screamer and an EQ pedal. However the clean channel has always been a bit of a let down and I just accepted it as I guessed no amp can do everything well, so I was considering getting a Fender amp or something similar at some point in the future to give me the bell like cleans. If I could get squeaky clean tones out of the DR with no breakup at all it would be a much better amp than it already is.

enuenu said:
Would a Road King be even better than a Roadster?

Kinda. If you like the power tube matching and the ability to switch cabinets, then yes.

The Roadster and the Road King can differ in their metal tones ever so slightly. The one thing the Roadster can do that the Road King can't is run on 4 EL34s. However, the Road King can run on 4 6L6s and 2 EL34s at the same time, which is absolutely brutal for high gain, IMO. It's loud, tight, punchy, and you get all the best characteristics from 6L6s and EL34s.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks. I see that Mesa make special cabs for the Road King with a half open back and a combination of C90s and V30s. These cabs would sound quite different to my Recto cab I would think.

A Road King rig lives in my dreams. Until then I will cuddle my Recto every night.

Difficulty, I'm not in America, I'm in Asian country so I just want to buy ONLINE
Some body help?
Thanks!

I'm glad I saw this thread. I've been leaving the presence off on channel 3, and keeping the treble around 11 to tame the fizz and it doesn't work too well. I'll be trying this 25K pot!

I have a sort of fizzy sound on Channel 3 on Modern setting of my Triple Recto that I would like to eliminate, installing the new potentiometer.

Is there any way to buy the potentiometer on Internet? I'm Italian and I think It could be too expensive to call Mesa in America and tell them to sell me the part!

A litte OT: having the EL34 in the poweramp section, what pre tubes should be installed to replace the original and old Mesa tubes?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

You could just install any 25k pot and you would be fine. There is nothing unique about Mesa's pot.

And for preamp tubes, I like a mix of Sovtek LPS in V1, Electro-Harmonix in V2 and a Ruby Chinese in V3.

But you might just want to run the EL34's first and see if you like the current preamp tubes.

can this be done on the old 2 channel DR?
will it make much of a difference,or not really needed on the 2 channel?
i have a 25k and a 50k pot.

Back