Petrucci using AXEFX

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where did that info come from? i would like to read about it.

supposedly he has it on tour... for effects only. dweezil zappa uses them, and apparently has been showing him what to do with them.

May want to check your facts, JP's gear listing (and pics) from this tour dont imply he's been using AxeFX live

May want to check your facts, JP's gear listing (and pics) from this tour dont imply he's been using AxeFX live

Guys, chill out. He does have it on the road with him too. He's got one in his dressing room rig. Sheesh.

CudBucket said:
Guys, chill out. He does have it on the road with him too. He's got one in his dressing room rig. Sheesh.

Heard he had a Petrucci-modded AxeFX for the shower. Apparently more gain.

Ran across this on Boogie's site...From the wiring description the Axe appears to be used for just for effects, but sounds like more than just for practice. Yeah, I know, does it really matter, not really but then again why does this forum exist in the first place. :wink:

As gear was pared down for some international touring in 2010, John made the switch to the new Axe FX unit by Fractal and just two Mark V heads. The simpler set up was holding up well so the decision was made to continue with it for the North American Iron Maiden tour. All of the channel switching selections are made with one head that is fed into the the Axe FX by the FX send of the Mark V. The signal is then split to stereo with the Axe FX and returned back into the main head’s FX return and the other Mark V’s FX return. This routes all tones to the same power section of the second Mark V so you have a true stereo image.

Full article http://mesaboogie.com/news/2010/07/dream-theater-john-petrucci-and-john-myung/

It is in his B-rig live for a while. I am not a fan by any means of the man, but **** I think it was all over the place months ago. There are even pictures of it in his live rig. And why not?

It is good no doubt about it. I'd love him to ditch some mesas and see some fans unloading them to buy the axe or something.

He has 1 on his practice rig, and he used one for effects only on the small rig put together when they opened for Maiden. Check his website for gear photos. Mesa/Boogie also posted photos.

I finally had a chance to play one of these and WOW, this thing is over-hyped. The effects were entertaining, but this thing sounded pretty digital to me. I had my suspicions from youtube videos, but I wouldn't judge a tone completely from a mystery recording.

Well, I guess some people just like how things like this sound.

adamlanghans said:
I finally had a chance to play one of these and WOW, this thing is over-hyped. The effects were entertaining, but this thing sounded pretty digital to me. I had my suspicions from youtube videos, but I wouldn't judge a tone completely from a mystery recording.

Well, I guess some people just like how things like this sound.

Did you play it for more than 5 minutes? I've owned one for almost 2 years. The effects are not just "entertaining". They're world class delays, reverbs, etc. The amp sims sound amazing. If it's not for you, fine. But I've heard tons of Mesa clips and vids that sound like **** too. But I wouldn't judge the amp based on a short demo. BTW, where did you get to play it? They aren't in stores and can only be purchased direct or used.

I also own a Mark IV so it's possible to own a tube amp and an Axe. Lastly, JP has already stated that he does use the amp sims direct in Pro Tools and that he thinks it sounds incredible.

Back