Mic ideas and techniques for LSS tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First off, I'm new here but have gained much from everyones posts in the past, so thank you.

I'm in need of a budget (under $150) mic to capture the sweet sexiness that roars from my LSS. I'm going live for this post, and I've been reading up on the Heil PR20, SennhE609, and of course, Shure SM57.
Thoughts? Techniques? I bow to your wisdom.

AG

All the mics you mention would be fine. For some other options, check out a used EV RE10 or RE11. These work great on dark amps like the LSS. I've been using one paired with a ribbon mic (Trion 7000) live on my LSS. The Sennheiser i5 is popular with some but it is basically a variation on the SM57. Sometimes the windscreen on an SM58 gives just enough variation from the 57 to do the trick.

I usually just use an SM57. I just posted a tune I recorded using my LSS and an 57. See what you think...

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=48113

Yeah, I'd love to own a Royer or two, but if I did, I'd propably just sell them and buy another Mesa. I'll try the sm58 since I've got one. Just grabbed an e609 silver to try out. I'll let you know how this thing does dangling from the handle. Not sure. Thanks for the audio too. Good times.

Peace.
AG

--------
PRS + LSS 1x12 = awesome

I'm finding that I can't stand my SM57 on my LSC. I'll hear a great tone going with the amp only to record it and find that what goes to tape sucks. I think its the SM57. I always have to roll off this gnarly high end that I'm not hearing in the room in front of the amp.

Any suggestions on a mic tha better captures the sound of this amp? I've been wondering about the Sennheiser E609.... I like the idea of the way it is mounted... I wouldn't need a mic stand.

Hey Joe what you do'n with that Tele in your hand. Absolutely fantastic. You should be on that new Lee Ritenour CD.

I've had great luck with the Dragonfly by Blue Microphones. It's a good all-purpose mic (acoustic, vocals etc), and it has a swiveling head, so it's very easy to set it up in front of the amp and record it at several angles wthout actually repositioning the mic, listen back and identify the 'sweet spot.' I found it captured the feel of the LSS accurately too; I can definitely hear the amp on the track.

gregrjones said:
I'm finding that I can't stand my SM57 on my LSC. I'll hear a great tone going with the amp only to record it and find that what goes to tape sucks. I think its the SM57. I always have to roll off this gnarly high end that I'm not hearing in the room in front of the amp.

Any suggestions on a mic tha better captures the sound of this amp? I've been wondering about the Sennheiser E609.... I like the idea of the way it is mounted... I wouldn't need a mic stand.

It's probably not the SM57, it's more likely the mic placement.

If you point the mic directly at the center of the speaker, you'll get a very bright tone. If you point it right at the edge, it will probably be muddier and bassier than you want.

Experiment with different placements. There's lot of stuff out there about tilting the mic and so forth, but I find that with the mic pointing straight in about half way between the center and the edge, right up to the grille, sounds reliably good.

vanceen said:
It's probably not the SM57, it's more likely the mic placement.
This.

The best spot I've found with the 57 is to point it perpendicular to the grille, aimed at the intersection of the speaker's dust cap and actual cone. From there you adjust to taste: towards the cap for brighter, away for darker.

Funny mic placement related story...at my church a guy had a Mark IV. He borrowed it to one of the other players and for some reason, the amp sounded like a horrible $69 Peavey through the PA. I go down to take a look and find that he mic'd the Boogie emblem! Moved the mic to that place I described and viola!, Mark IV awesomeness returned.

-dave

I hang a Sennheiser e906 from the handle of my amp so that the mic is closer to the edge of the cone than it is to the dome. The mic is against the grill cloth. The mic's switch is in the position that it shipped in.

The e906 is a very natural sounding mic. I hear my amp, just louder.

This is with an Express 5:50 and a tweed Deluxe (5E3) clone.

Back