Pedals that stack well with LSS Drive channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chmiel

Reaction score
Hey guys,

recently bought a Lonestar Special and a Stilleto Cab - absolutely loving the sound im getting with my Fat Strat and LP.

I am using the drive channel with the drive engaged, and both knobs set to about 2 O'Clock - creating a nice thick, creamy but still harmonically beautiful and clear lead tone.

I was just wondering what anyone has used to stack on top of the drive channel to push it a bit further? the important part is making it a little bigger while retaining the amps characteristics

Im thnking of getting a bb preamp, as when andy timmons uses it to push the channel a little further its just huuuuge.

Also considering:
Zendrive 2, ethos overdrive, butler tube driver and timmy

any other suggestions? any experiences?
Cheers!

Only one that I have found that works is the RC and find amp sounds best with guitar tone rolled off.

I have tried Lovepedal Englishman, MI Audio Crunch Box, Blue Boy, Xotic AC, BB have not liked any of them with LSS - it just gets unruely, woofy and/or furry. RC on the other hand eq's it perfectly, gives it spank clean top end, grunt like a 2*12 and brings channel 1 & 2 together eq wise.

Next on my list to try is Java Boost.

Very interested also to hear other peoples experience.

Zendrive 2 my friend. I got stuck in the shed with that combo for hours today!

Nice and touch-sensitive, big and warm sound (esp. for single notes - wow) and not one iota of the LSS vibe is compromised. I bet you'll love it.

Not tried it with a LSS, but the Fulltone FDII works well for me with LSC and MKV amps - the variety is huge, and with some adjustment, can go from light crunch to singing sustain with the extra boost engaged

Some good demos on Youtube if you want to hear what the pedal can do

As ever with Mesa, your sound is in there somewhere, and you need to tweak to find it, with this or any other pedal. When you do, tweak time spent is well worth it 8)

Im sure the zendrive will be amazing for leads

how does it do with open chords with just a hint of break up on it?

Thanks for the sugesstions guys, any more out there?

I have 3 boosts, all used on channel 2 with drive engaged usually on the thick setting with drive up at about 2 oclock with the gain around 11 oclock. I have an Hartman germanium treble booster, a very old Boss OD1 and a Skreddy Skrewdriver. All are used individually, not stacked, to help the amps overdrive out and give different 'flavours' of overdrive. I really love the Skrewdriver. Amazingly touch sensitive, and I have dialed mine in so it has a hint of a fuzz flavour on lower notes, (and I hate fuzz!) and lovely warm drive on the higher notes. It is warm and lovely, not bland like some ODs. The OD1 gives more ACDC type tones and the treble booster is more old school drive. I really wanted the LSS as a stand alone amp but ended up embracing pedals as the LSS works so well with them.

I picked up a Way Huge Pork Loin pedal last week and it sounds phenomenal with my LSS, both channels, but I'm not using the drive on channel 2 at the moment: I'm pretty much setting it as a slightly crunchier and slightly louder version of channel 1.

Back