Is it possible to make the Lonestar lighter?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASBerklee12

Reaction score
You may have seen my classified ad for my 1x12 LSC combo. I'm selling it due to weight--tonally, it's my favorite amp ever, bar none. I simply can't deal with the weight, living in Boston and not having a car.
But I've had some trouble selling it, which has made me think...I love the tone, so why not make it lighter? Why exactly is it so heavy in the first place?
I know Mesa uses high quality components, which all add to the weight a bit--the electronics and tubes, etc. But those can't be THAT heavy. Obviously, the speaker and/or cabinet itself is the cause of the weight.
I just saw an ad on ebay for a re-cabbed LSC. It was a 1x12 and is now a 2x10. The guy built a new cab. Pretty cool.
So, I'm thinking, I only have a need for one speaker (or 2 10", whichever one is lighter). What do you think about relocating the Lonestar into a new, smaller cab (my amp is the oversized 1x12, not the compact) or even convert it into a head and buy a small 1x12 cab? Again, whichever one is lighter would be what I need.

Is it possible? Is it worth it? Is it stupid? All thoughts are appreciated.
Smitty

Smitty -- there are two other threads (at least) about this currently on the first page of the LS forum:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=44547 (which is mine -- obliquely titled "Piglet")

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=45476 (Maury's -- a work in progress, it seems)

Do it, don't sacrifice tone for weight.

I should add here: the amp itself IS heavy. In my new shortbody head shell, the amp still weighs more than 30 lbs... it's not light. The Freda 1x12s is really light, and weighs less than the head does (about 30 lbs). The amp's weight probably stems mostly from those big transformers you see sticking out of the bottom.

That said, as heavy as it is, it's great to have it condensed into a smaller format, and I have zero regrets about making the move.

I highly recommend the Freda as a lightweight speaker cab. Mesa's compact cabs are great too.

Stick some neo spekers in it. I put 2 celestion neos in my LSS and it is so much easier to carry. Sounds great but I do concur that it will change the sound. In my case I thought it changed it for the better, but that is only my opinion. Also it has to be said that speaker changes are like pick-up changes in that you will never know until YOU try it. I would say though that I find all the negativity about Neo speakers laughable, especially as most detractors have probably never even tried them.

I asked my neighbor (a carpenter) to build me a copy of an express 5:25 1x12 combo cabinet. He finished it 2 days ago and I gigged with my new "LSC express" Friday and Saturday. I'm very pleased with the results. The tone is more focused. On the gain channel I think that's a good thing. On the clean side I think its a bad thing, but not a deal-breaker. I'm not especially proud of my tolex job, and I have to redo the slightly crooked grille cloth baffle - but all in all I'm very happy. Clean tone might have gone from a 10 to a 9 but lead tone went from 10 to 11 and portability is off the charts. Weight is 50lbs. Tolex, grille cloth, handle and corners are from MojoTone.com. 1/2" birch plywood from Lowes.

LSCexpressRAW.jpg

lonestarexpressclone.JPG

Yeah, I'd say go with a head/cab setup. I have an LSS head with a 2x12 cab that is very easy to move. You could find a short box head and then get a nice 1x12 cab.

Maury said:
An exercise program...shaved off 20lbs, har har har...
Looks good man. I'll post pics once I get mine in a head box. I'm thinkin blonde tolex/wheat grill a la Mark 1. Mmmmmmm.....

Latest posts

Back