The Mark IV thread....!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fdesalvo said:
I just don't get how ppl can honestly say their MKIV can't get super tight, saturated, or lacks low end

+1

If I had a Mark IV with any of those symptoms I'd do the following:

1) Preamp tube swamp and if that didn't work,
2) Poweramp tube swap and if that didn't work,
3) package it up and send it to Petaluma for a checkup.

does anyone know of an existing thread that explains the IVa loop buttons and their functions in more detail than the manual? i usually just use the normal loop. tanks dudes.

Nothing special to it my friend. I wished they did more. :) You can use only one pair at a time. Normal loop cannot be switched off. The switchable can be. You can assign which loop a channel can use by using those little rocker switches next to the loops.

emperor_black said:
Nothing special to it my friend. I wished they did more. :) You can use only one pair at a time. Normal loop cannot be switched off. The switchable can be. You can assign which loop a channel can use by using those little rocker switches next to the loops.

thanks man, i thought maybe i could rock od on rhy2 and lead but not on rhy1 via those switches. :?

Hi guys, I need some advice about the purchase of a MarkIV head :)
I found a guy who sells a B medium head at 1850€ from 2008, then another guy who would trade my ENGL Fireball from 2008 (which I'm trying to sell) for his A short head from '90 if I add some extra money, let's say 900€.
Pricewise (and lookwise, I love it) I'd go for the MarkIVa short head, but it now it has about 20 years (even though the seller says it's in very good conditions).
Could I miss something from the A VS B, i.e. I now the B has footswitchable FX loop and I hear of a better rythm2 channel...
Thanks for any advice!

blastomorpha said:
Hi guys, I need some advice about the purchase of a MarkIV head :)

Wow! US$2500 for a Mark IV head? Want to buy mine? Seriously, look at this beautiful example from eBay in a mahogany cabinet. Only $1650, and it says worldwide shipping, which can't be much over $200.

Anyway, lots of players here say they prefer the IVa over the IVb. I'm sure the difference is subtle, but I like my IVa head a lot.

Good luck!

try searching on uk ebay site or try to lower the price.

i'm from italy too and i found a 2008 model short head for 1700€ shipped in PERFECT shape. export model obviously.

you can always buy from the states but you will have to use an external step down transformer.

they're not gonna sell them for that price. trust me :wink:

BTW A vs B versions: they're almost identical. thus b version has better and more useful features. and since they're almost sounds the same i would go for a newer model which would be more reliable.

I found out!!!! The secret is less gain more drive!! No one recommended this but it allows the eq to do it's job rather then being over compressed by the pre-amp. So happy with this amp!!!

Yep, there's a lot of subtle shades to be had by using different combinations of gain and drive. I find that when drive is higher than gain you get a smoother, tighter tone. Using gain higher than drive sounds a bit more raw and growly. Adjusting the treble with these two changes things even more.

Keep in mind that the knob EQ is at the front of the signal chain, so it will have a bigger impact on the character of the breakup. The Graphic EQ is post-gain, so it works better for overall tonal shaping. That's why running the bass knob high makes the amp farty. It's letting a lot more bass through early on.

I've just spent my first hour with my new boy (thanks to DaveP!).
:*
!Bqt!JIgCGk~$(KGrHqEOKj8EugDPiMO7BLwij2Zj-w~~_12.JPG

What can I say, I'm amazed by the tons of tones it can delivers (I only tried tweed+triode+class A at very low output level, barely past 1), I love the Rhy2, it can to everything from clean to 80s metal. How can the MarkV Rhy2 be better when the IV one is awesome? :mrgreen:
Now I have to find a good modern metal tone (I'm coming from an ENGL Fireball so I'm a little biased about it) and I'll have everything I want!
I must buy a better cab, my Peavey 212XXL sounds crap with the Mark (it was better with the Fireball) and I'm sure it spoils the sound a lot :lol:

****, yesterday I tried to switch from "mid gain" to "harmonics" (still in Tweed and Class A): say hello to awesome modern metal tone!
My Fireball is crying in a corner ad hoping to be sold soon :lol:

great!! have fun with it :mrgreen:

which cab are you using it with?

is it 110v? how did you managed that in the end?

B. Ste said:
great!! have fun with it :mrgreen:

which cab are you using it with?

is it 110v? how did you managed that in the end?

At first I tried the amp with my Peavey 212XXL, not bad I have to say, I also have a 1x12 Mesa/Boogie cab with EVM12L, I'm used to close cabs sound but it's really good, way more definition in low and high frequences (with the Peavey I dime all presence knobs at 10!), I even have to lower gain and drive a bit in the lead channel. This cab is louder (and heavier) than the 2x12 I have!
Now I'm waiting a Thiele with EVM12L to complete my killer Boogie stack :twisted:

Yes, it's 110V, I bought a 500W step-down converter.

Hey dudes

Just a little report on the amazing mk4. I had been lusting after one for about 15 years when I finally pulled the trigger. I've had it for a year now and this is the only amp I've had since I started playing 22 years ago that has completely cured my amp gas. I love everything about it, the clean, r2 and lead are just my sh!t.

If I were to loose it or if it got stolen I'd have to get another cause nothing stirres my soul like that mk4 tone.

Amen brothers

My amp can go up and down in volume periodically. now i know this can be a tube, but the volume comes back up tagain. And i can hear slight crackles when played. I notice when i move the speaker cord... it affects the volume and the crackle sometimes goes away... but with the amp being loud, it vibrates the cord, causing the problem again.

So is my cord bad or the port? and if either. is there a way to clean it before i go buy a new cord?

Back