OK Boys, Overdrive Pedals

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the bb pre ala Timmons, however, it has been replaced by the Maxon OD 808. Running effects and the all important Eq through the loop, then the Maxon in to the front of the amp and it's top shelf distortion as a perfect layer over the Stiletto's excellent gain channels. The Maxon sold ibanez the 808 circuit in the early tube screamer models, and the newest has the 808 circuit. It is more evenly balanced than the overpriced BB pre, and it sound sweet rolling back the volume knob as well!

This is my favorite topic about the stilettos. They are the most transparent and responsive amps ive ever played thru. every guitar, pup and stompbox you throw in front of one will dramtically change the tone. Awesome. Ive really started to build my OD collection when I got my stiletto. My 2 favs are the Barber Direct drive and the danelctro CTO-1. Ive also found you can get instant SRV with an OD808 on tite gain mode! The barber just kills though. Ihave catalinbread boxs, menatone, fromel and many others and for me the barber is untouchable

My two favorites for the Stiletto are both from HBE: the Power Screamer and the Germania.

I keep the Screamer on low gain but high volume, so it's more of a clean kick. The Germania is set up about half way, and it gives gain with certain tone frequency changes. Mine has a three way switch for tone, so it can give boosted treble, more treble, or boosted low mids. Treble settings are good for Les Pauls, low mids for Strats.

I have only used the maxon od 808. Sounded Great in all the clean channel modes and could be tweaked to sound decent in the dirty channel of the amp. I cant believe nobody on this board has really given much attention to the Bk butler Tube driver pedal. So many great players have used this pedal in their rigs to achieve some killer tones (David GIlmour, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Andy Timmons (used this pedal to recreate some of the tones from his resolution album in The STILETTO's clean channel ; the bb pre he uses mostly in the LONESTAR). I want to get a Bk Butler Tube Driver for my Stiletto eventually. So many people have raved about this pedal on other Boards. Just trying to get my nerve up to throw Down some Dough on one :mrgreen:

The Maxon 808 is not just for SRV, it nails the electric gypsy tone with a little vol roll of at the guitar, also it adds sustain, OD and transparent girth to the stiletto's mojo for killer Petrucci solos too! As for the BK tube driver, I bought one and sent it back eating 75$ just to get him to take it back for $300. It sucks for any chording stuff, big note OD soling and subtle stuff it could work well with, but in general rolling back the volume from higher gain settings I can get everything I want with all kinds of subtle Gilmour bluesy stuff out of the stiletto and the Maxon.

I'm using a tubescreamer clone that I built. It sounds fantastic through my Stiletto. Unfortunately, I can't use it in my rig, since I switch from clean to distorted quite often.

I'm going to build something so I can use it though.

cragginshred said:
The Maxon 808 is not just for SRV, it nails the electric gypsy tone with a little vol roll of at the guitar, also it adds sustain, OD and transparent girth to the stiletto's mojo for killer Petrucci solos too! As for the BK tube driver, I bought one and sent it back eating 75$ just to get him to take it back for $300. It sucks for any chording stuff, big note OD soling and subtle stuff it could work well with, but in general rolling back the volume from higher gain settings I can get everything I want with all kinds of subtle Gilmour bluesy stuff out of the stiletto and the Maxon.

Hello Cragginshred just wondering to be sure if when you were discussing the Bk tube driver you were referring to it with use with the "Stiletto" with regards to it not being the greatest with regards to chording stuff? I myself have heard from other people that the tube driver pedal sounds super great in some amps and not so super great in others. i have also heard that the 4 knob version he is currently making sound really good, and some people have gone so far to say that changing out the stock preamp tube it comes with can make a big difference in whether or not your gonna dig this Pedal.
Thanks

Well, I only use my Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face with my Stiletto. Ok, it's not an overdrive pedal, but what the hell...

Thanks guys.
I've had a couple of Bixonic Expandora pedals on my board for a long time. Around ten years I think. Yikes!
I'm thinking maybe it's time to change thing up.
I've been eying the Xotic products or maybe that Barber Direct Drive that droptrd is lovin'.
The Tim or Timmy sound like they could be pretty cool too.
Lots of good choices.

mikey383 said:
I'm using a tubescreamer clone that I built. It sounds fantastic through my Stiletto. Unfortunately, I can't use it in my rig, since I switch from clean to distorted quite often.

I'm going to build something so I can use it though.

Which one did you build? I am interested in doing the same, but there are too many choices!!! :lol: :lol:

Surferdeac,
I used it with the stiletto's clean channel per Timmon's recommendation and video reviews. It was ok, but not worth the $ at all. It was a brand new one from BK himself just 2 months back. As I said you could certainly use it many ways but nothing that was as cool as what I am getting with the gain modes in the stiletto.

my vote goes for a Barber DD. although it's a TS based OD it can be set to avoid that typical "middle honk".

just lke this: :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBAKySMusog

Viggo,.... nice shredding! I dig strats that go from mellow bluesy gain stuff to full on melt your face shred! Were you using the Stiletto's clean channel with the barber, or one of it's gain setting plus the barber or a different amp or what???? The bummer about the barber video reviews just like the maxon reviews is, it gives you no idea of what it is like going in to the front of your amp boosting you rigs current gain settings. Thanks for you vid and please provide more info regarding amp used and clean or amp gain settings.

Riff Blister said:
What kind of OD pedals are you using with you Stilettos?
Have you found that magic stomp box that you really like?

Just heard a few vids of the Wampler Triple Wreck. Holy Crap, that is one over the top pedal.

cragginshred said:
Viggo,.... nice shredding! I dig strats that go from mellow bluesy gain stuff to full on melt your face shred! Were you using the Stiletto's clean channel with the barber, or one of it's gain setting plus the barber or a different amp or what???? The bummer about the barber video reviews just like the maxon reviews is, it gives you no idea of what it is like going in to the front of your amp boosting you rigs current gain settings. Thanks for you vid and please provide more info regarding amp used and clean or amp gain settings.

well, have to be honest, this is not me!! :D it's a guy that i know. he's the test guy for Matusa amps. www.amplificadoresmatusa.com.br.

he was testing the clean channel of one of their amps and just throw in a Barber DD in front. :shock: a blast!!!!

Fulltone Fulldrive 2 through the fluid drive setting is excellent for that extra liquid lead boost :D

Vigo1999 said:
cragginshred said:

well, have to be honest, this is not me!! :D it's a guy that i know. he's the test guy for Matusa amps. http://www.amplificadoresmatusa.com.br.

he was testing the clean channel of one of their amps and just throw in a Barber DD in front. :shock: a blast!!!!

Vigo1999 your honesty should not go unappreciated. On a forum such as this any one could pretend they are someone they are not.

I am going to check into the Barber Direct Drive. Those Tim or Timmy pedals still have my interest too. Thanks for the input.

Oh, by the way I look like Brad Pitt and play guitar like John Petrucci :)

Latest posts

Back