What tubes are in your amp and why?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrykeBack

Reaction score
I've got a rectoverb series 2 head that I'm going to be retubing and wanted to get a feel for what you guys were using in whichever amp you have. Any why you decided to go that route.

So if you could say what amp your using and what tubes you got and perhaps what didn't work that would be awesome guys.

Let's see here:

Mesa Mark IV - Well, I have some older SED 6L6GC's, when they were still Svetlana, in the power section and some RCA 12ax7's in every slot except the Phase Inverter, which has a JAN GE 12ax7wa in it's slot. Why are they in there? This combination can sound smooth or aggressive depending on how I dial the amp in. The overall clarity is top knotch mated with that sweet Boogie preamp saturation. I'm scared to even turn the dials on the amp. :)

Triple Recto - Ruby EL34B-STR's in the power section, RFT Ecc83's in V1 and V2, EH 12ax7 in V3 and Ruby 9th Gen Chinese in the Loop and Phase Inverter. The EL34B-STR's give the amp more depth and smoothness, but the RFT's in the first 2 slots aid tremendously to the overall tone of the amp as well. It's kind of like pouring chocolate syrup over chocolate brownie ice cream. Those tubes working together thicken things up a great deal, but it's real smooth and sweet. The EH is at the end of the cascading gain stack and is also driving the tone controls. The Chinese preamp tubes work really well in the Phase Inverter. I don't use the Loop because I don't run effects.

I've got other amps, but they're not Mesas. :)

Dale

Triple Rec
JJ ECC83 Hi Gains in V1,2,3, a regular ECC83 in V4, and a balanced one in V5. Why? because I wanted to try something different, heard the rave reviews and gave 'em a shot. No regrets. They sound killer...much better than the stockers. When the long-plate 803's are available I will try one in V1 just to see what it does.

Power section: SED 6L6's (Mesa STR454). Not much different than the STR430's that came in the amp, a bit tighter and maybe a hair louder too (!) Why? Was going to try the JJ's here too, but I had a tube go redplate on me during rehearsal, and my local music store had GT (ewww), and Mesa 430's and 454's.

Rectifiers: JJ GZ34 (5AR4). Why? Punchy as the diodes, no volume loss, and still retains just a little bit of the rectifier "sag" that makes soloing sound sweet.

Yes, I bought into Bob's hype...and happy I did! I'm not really one to change tubes just for the hell of it (not too often anyway). Routine maintenance, or if I get some that just plain sound bad. I am very happy with this amp now, and will probably retube with the same thing next time.

I run the stock Mesa branded tubes (EL34's) in my two channel Dual Rec. The local dealer is two minutes away, it's just convenient! I'm satisfied with my tone, I have'nt justified the need for tonal improvement via tubes. Instead, I just buy another PRS guitar, or at least a new set of strings. :lol:

My Nomad 100 212 has Electro-Harmonix 6L6EH tubes in it. I first started using those in my old DC-5. Right now the pre-amp tubes are stock, but when the time comes to replace them I like the 12AX7EH tubes.

My NOS Blue Angel is stock.

Currently:

V1 = GT Mullard Reissue
V2 = Electro Harmonix
V3 = Shuguang 9th gen.
V4 = Shuguang 9th gen.
V5 = JJ ECC83

P1, P2, P3, P4 = SED Winged C 6L6GC

Why?

Because I wasn't happy with the 5 JJ preamp and 4 JJ Power Amp tubes that were in there. The current config. sounds smoother and warmer to me. I still have the JJs becaue I expect to put them back in and see if I've changed my mind about them.

I think my favorites though were the stock Mesa tubes which I don't have anymore.

Dave

I think my favorites though were the stock Mesa tubes which I don't have anymore.

Wow, you really think that? I bought my rectoverb used and though the guy said he barely played it, I know from experience that my last amp sounded so much better after a fresh set of tubes and almost consider it a waste for the first 3 months I had it with old tubes. I think I will always do that with a new amp. Just to start fresh, new tubes.

Currently:

V1 = GT Mullard Reissue
V2 = Electro Harmonix
V3 = Shuguang 9th gen.
V4 = Shuguang 9th gen.
V5 = JJ ECC83

P1, P2, P3, P4 = SED Winged C 6L6GC

That configuration looks very similar to what Doug was recommending to me except maybe a JJ high gain in the electro harmonix spot. I think I will try teh JJ 803 in V1 as well.

I got the first four tubes from Doug.
Did you try other preamp tube configurations before you ended up with that? I'd like to skip the hastle and get to what works best so I can focus on playing the guitar :twisted:

I run the stock preamp tubes. But in the output section I'm running a pair of EH EL-34's and a pair of THD Yellowjackets.

I did a lot of experimenting with tube configurations, but this one just happens to be the most pleasing. It really tightened up the bottom end and gave the top end a more vintagy vibe.

stock tubes in everything!

why? Because Im too cheap to retube em, and last time needed a re-tube I was given some Mesa STR430s, so in they went.

I do have have a pair of old american 6l6s (GE I think). Which sound nice and I toss in here and there for shits and giggles.

OK guys, my tubes arrived today and I'm wondering what each V of the preamp does what? I know v1 is supposed to be your drive channel but?

I've got 2 of the new telefunken copy JJ 803S ( 1 of them balanced)
1 high gain JJ 83S (balanced)
and 2 Shuguang C 9th generations (1 balanced)

Along with the 2 SED 6l6s.

Since I've got a few balanced tubes I've got options to try on the PI but the layout I was thinking in my head was:

V1=803S
v2=803S
v3= shuguang
v4=shuguang
V5=JJ 83S high gain.

Does that look about right or should I mix it up other places?

You might have trouble with microphonics using the 803 in V2. Long-plate preamp tubes are more prone to micrphony, and the 803 has VERY long plates. Try the ECC83S in V2 and put the balanced chinese in V5.

According to Bob at eurotubes, the 803's are good in all slots for vintage amps, but in high gain amps you should only use it in V1 because of the microphonics issue.

I should have a couple of ECC803's sometime this week, one for V1 in my Triple, and one to try in a Marshall. Will post my findings.

then where should I put the other 803? :( 5 preamp tubes and 5 preamp slots and 2 of them are 803s...****, is the v2 the first gain stage of the overdrive, or lead channel?

MKIII
SED EL34/6L6
V1 Telefunken smooth plate
V2 RCA 7025
V3 an old 12AY7
V4 RCA 7025
V5 RCA 7025

Studio 22+
JJ EL84
V1 Mullard CV4024 (lead channel)
V2 Mullard 12AX7
V3 Brimar 12AX7
V4 JAN GE 12AX7
V5 JAN Phillips 12AX7

50 Caliber+
Valve Arts/Shuguang 6L6 (blackplate tall-bottle)
V1 80's Chinese gray plate 12AX7
V2 80's Chinese gray plate 12AX7
V3 80's Chinese gray plate 12AX7
V4 JJ ECC83S
V5 JJ ECC83S

when you said putting a long plate tube in V2 can make the amp microphonic..what type of sound would that be? it sounds great on the cleans but in the high gain in can have almost an echo affect in it and it will crackle at odd times. could this be the microphonic issue? Perhaps I'l order another high gain JJ

Echoing can be a symptom of a microphonic tube, also hum, squealing, and all manner of strange noises. Until you can get another hi-gain, try the extra 803 in V4 (fx loop), or put one of the stock tubes back in V4.

I originally had JJs in my RK, but I put some more Mesa stock tubes in. I liked the feel better.

Stiletto Trident Stage 2

V1 jj ecc83
V2 rtf 12ax7
V2 jj ecc83
V4 Chinese 9th gen
V5 jj 803 balanced

Ruby el34bstr power

Really like the Jj's with the stiletto. Tried the tung-sols but sound too ice-picky and harsh for higher gain rhythm , like the stock EH do.

Back