V twin into Fender tube amps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluezyBruce

Reaction score
I am wondering if people have used a V twin in Fender tube amps and if they had any eq cludder or over Eq problems between Fender tube amps and the V twin distortion pedal?

I have found this when using some Mesa amps but I just figured thay didn't blend well.

Thanks,

Bruce

I have used a V-Twin into a original Fender Blues Deville 2x12 as my gigging setup for at least 7 or 8 years, and I think it is wonderful combination. Most of the time I would use the Blues Channel on the V-Twin and very rarely use the solo channel. I have never had a problem with EQ'ing the two to get the sound I want. The trebel on the V-Twin is very interative. I typicall keep the bass at arount 12noon, and the mid around 10 o'clock with treble at 2 or 3 o'clock. I have had good results with this EQ range.

I liked the V-Twin>Deville combo so much that a little while ago I bought a DC-5 combo, which I think was a good tradeoff. I still use the V-Twin>Deville combo for recording sometimes, but for the most part the V-Twin has been relegated to backup duty. The Deville on the other hands gets used regularly in my rehearsal studio by the other guitarist in my band. He loves it and has migrated away from his other amp to the point that the last two gigs we have had he has used the Deville. The DC-5 and the Deville have a sweet ying & yang to it that yields a good balance for the type of music that we play.

Good luck with the V-Twin. Make sure you experiment with it for a long while to find the settings that lend to your playing style. Don't give up on it too early. Like any Mesa amp/product it may take a while before you dial in your tone.

I got my V-Twin in 98 and used it on my Blues Deluxe... fantastic sound. I bought a Blues Jr. with Bill M Mods and gave the Deluxe to my kid. I now run the V-Twin into the Blues Jr. all the time. I normally start with all the EQ settings on the pedal and amp at noon... then I tweak for the room, etc. Never had any trouble with the V-Twin and Fender amps...

The V-Twin and V-1 were born to play through Fender amps. The natural clarity and mid scoop of the Fender is the perfect complement to the darker and more midrangy Mesa sound. I carry a V-Twin as a backup for my Tremoverb anyway, but I've many times used it in practice studios and at shared-backline gigs into any sort of Fender amp (even solid state) and got good results. Particularly with the much-maligned 1970s Twin Reverb which you seem to find everywhere.

The main thing the Vs do not sound good through is a Mesa amp! Apart from a Blue Angel, and maybe something like a Lone Star, although I've never tried that. The 'EQ clutter' thing is very apparent otherwise.

I used to run the V-twin pedal through the .50 Caliber + amp with fantastic results! More recently, I ran it into a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 with great results as well. I'm using it through the clean channel of my MarkIV currently just for some alternate lead tones, and they don't really mesh too well. There is definately an EQ conflict, and you really have to tweak the V-Twin to arrive at a satisfying tone. I'm probably going to eventually acquire another MIDI switchable router and just run the V-Twin through the MkIVs effects return. That DOES sound much better. As Far as plugging into a Fender, I tried it with one of the Twin Reverb reissues, and was less than impressed. It sounded way too edgey and trebley for me.

woodtones said:
As Far as plugging into a Fender, I tried it with one of the Twin Reverb reissues, and was less than impressed. It sounded way too edgey and trebley for me.
\

What were the tone settings on the Twin? I normally start with everything at 12 o'clock, or 5, and tweak from there. Always works for me. However, Twins, IMHO, are always too bright and clean for me. Hard to tweak that out.

I also run everything at 5 on a Twin Reverb (give or take a bit on the volume, and not that much on the reverb). Most importantly, make sure the Bright switch is *off* since it adds some nasty top-end fizz that the treble control can't dial out - and if it really is then too dull, turn up the treble instead. The Normal channel is also much less edgy than the Vibrato, so if you can live without reverb and tremolo, you can use that for a better tone. (You can also 'sidechain' the reverb channel from the Normal if you just want a bit of reverb, but the two channels are out of phase so you need to keep the volume on that channel much lower than the Normal channel or it thins the tone.)

Most Fender amps seem to take "most" distortion pedals pretty well.....

I had a V twin for a while, and it sounded good through friends' Fenders, Music Mans, Carvins, etc....even my Studio Cal 22+....... Although I eventually got rid of it.....too "Heavy Metal" sounding for me, overall.

I agree with an earlier post that the re issue 65 Twin Reverb is an exception. A friend bought one and is disappointed. Even a L6 POD is too harsh through it!! He eventually found and bought an old '70's Silver face Twin and couldn't be happier! :D

What were the tone settings on the Twin? I normally start with everything at 12 o'clock, or 5, and tweak from there. Always works for me. However, Twins, IMHO, are always too bright and clean for me. Hard to tweak that out.

I can't remember exactly what the V-Twin's settings were, but I do remember just setting up the Twin Reverb for a nice round clean tone, and when I kicked in the V-Twin it was way too raspy. I tried briefly to dial it out, but that underlying nastyness was always there. I done this in a music store while just trying out amps & stuff, so I did'nt mess around with it too much.

Back