What's your recording setup?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
e-ray said:
^^Yup... monitors look pretty poorly placed in general, I don't know about the Alesis's, but the KRK's should be sitting upright.

Here's my space... Not as much gear as a lot of folks, but it's what I need at the moment.

monitoringef8.jpg

Dude, can u tell me the make of the desk tat you have. Its really simple and elegant and I've been looking for something like that that comes with the added rack space on the table top.

Cheers,

My system is quite simple. I use it for learning songs mostly.

I run my roadster into a vox 2x12, mic that with a SM57 into one channel of a m-audio mobile-pre. The other channel I run a second SM57 for vocals. I run the headphone output of that into a behringer powered mixer out to two PV115 mains setup in mono. I usually run the 2x12 in another room as I can monitor from the behringer at the same time as recording.

The m-audio runs into my laptop via usb and I setup Sony Acid to record the two channels into separate tracks. I use the vocal track for making vocal notations as I play.

Once I get the track down, I usually copy and paste the guitar track into another track and apply effects if needed.

Metric Halo ULN-2 w/ 2D + DSP
Mackie Onyx 800R going into the MH via ADAT
bunch of ribbons, tube mics and dynamics
Apple Computer
Logic Studio 9
1.5TB OWC Mercury Pro 7200 RPM External FW 800 HD

These 2 end pieces you see on each side of the desk were given to me by some people I recorded last week. Pretty cool huh.
I am still working on getting the cables all tidy and what not... and still finding homes for all of my gear in the rack-mounted areas.

newdesk.jpg

newdesk2.jpg

newdesk3.jpg

I've got a page on my blog devoted to my recording setup ( http://www.gearacquisitionsyndrome.com/2007/08/recording-gear.html ), but in a nuthsell, here's my setup...

- lotsa different but relatively inexpensive mics (typically Blue "Ball" and Cascade FatHead for electric guitar, AT2020 and Kel Audio HM-1 for acoustic guitar, Studio Projects C1 or T3 for vocals, and Studio Projects C4's and Shure PG52/PG56's for drums)
- Presonus Digimax FS preamps/converters with ART MDM-8L compressors/limiters
- Sonar 6 Producer with a variety of plug-ins, my favorite of which is Izotope
- M-Audio BX8 monitors

studiorack062308.jpg

newstudiodesk.jpg

newstudioroom.jpg

The first dozen or so tracks here ( http://www.gearacquisitionsyndrome.com/2007/08/sounds.html ) were recorded using this setup.

--B

Gateway computer (5 years old +) with XP home
M Powered Pro Tools 8.0.1
M Audio Pro Fire 2626
Behringer 8 channel preamp

Line 6 POD XT Live
Line 6 POD Farm

Mackie 8" monitors
Antares AVP

SM57s
Sennheiser e609
Studio Projects C1
A/T 3035

more, but i'm at the office right now... can't think

SM-57, 31-band eq, dbx 166xl compressor, Hush noisegate super c, Tascam 2488 neo. Ok for quick recording of riffs and general messing around but would really like to get into computer based recording. Was one of the unfortunate individuals who bought windows vista when it first came out and tried to get pro-tools to work with it. I'm kind of waiting for an excuse to buy a Mac notebook as they seem to be better suited for recording.

what? Pc's are fine to record on, and just as capable as a mac. And if pro tools wont work with Vista, its not Vista its pro tools not getting with the progam and patching their software to work with Vista. Ive been running Vista since they came out with service patch 1 and I have not had one single problem... Im running windows 7 now with fantastic results. Although I don't use Pro tools anything. I use Adobe Audition 3 .. samples here http://www.myspace.com/burnstudios

MacBook Pro
Logic Studio 9
Presonus Firestudio Mobile
M Audio iControl
M Audio BX5a monitors

Yamaha MO6

Peavey Rockmaster pre
Tube Works Real Tube II pre
Digitech GSP1101
Lexicon MX300

Since I'm an apartment dweller (who also gets up at 1AM for work, 2AM on my days off), I do all of my recording direct, hence the rack stuff.

burnstudios said:
what? Pc's are fine to record on, and just as capable as a mac. And if pro tools wont work with Vista, its not Vista its pro tools not getting with the progam and patching their software to work with Vista. Ive been running Vista since they came out with service patch 1 and I have not had one single problem... Im running windows 7 now with fantastic results. Although I don't use Pro tools anything. I use Adobe Audition 3 .. samples here http://www.myspace.com/burnstudios
yeah I dont know man, I bought Vista when it first came out and pro tools at the same time, the guy at the local music shop said they would have a driver out real soon available for download. It ended up bieng like 8 months. Then still had no luck getting them to work together. Not saying it cant be done, but just seemed like a PITA for how much money I had invested in it and the time it took to wait.

Boss BR1180CD (on board effects and Cab models as well)
MKIV
Various pedals
SM58
EV nd267 Dynamic
Sterling Audio St55 Condenser
Presonus Tube Pre on the way.
AKG K240s headphones

I think that's it.

Scott

Cubase Studio 4
Pod x3 or Revalver MKIII for guitars/bass
Superior Drummer 2.0 (Metal Foundry)
I have Edirol MA-15D monitors
Using Sennheiser HD280 headphones for tracking.

Seems to work ok for what i'm doing.

Heres some recent pics of my humble little studio. you can check out some of my work at www.burnstudios.com and http://myspace.com/burnstudios
bs1.jpg

bs2.jpg

bs5.jpg

bs3.jpg

bs7.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Some nice setups in here,I am using a firebox rokit 8's a rokit 10" sub sonar 8 producer dfh and a bunch of plugins,its a mess rite now I know LOL!
I just got my mark iv so I will be using that but I used to use the line 6 vetta II HD.
IMG_2641.jpg

IMG_2639-1.jpg

I use Logic Express 9, Apogee Duet, Shure SM57s, American Deluxe Strats and Gibson SG Standards, my Roadster head, into a Rivera Silent Sister. It works great.

(3)Presonus Firepods
Gateway lap top running Cubase SX3
SAC-2K control surface
Avalon 737 pre
Monitors:(small)JBL LSR 25P
(Large)Meyer833 powered by McIntosh2300

Latest posts

Back