Mark IIC+ - Guide for Dummies

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a non-geq IIC+ and have to disagree with most people who claim that you need an EQ pedal to do metal. This is totally false, my C+ can do metal in spades.

Here are my settings:

Volume1= 7 (pull)
Treble= 8 (pull)
Bass= 5
Mid= 8
Master 1= Your choice (pull)
Lead drive= 4 (pull)
Lead Master= 3
Presence= 7

This gives you a nice thick sound with humbuckers.

I am on a quest for a c+. Do you think this is the real thing? And what do you guys think of this price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-IIC-II-C-Head-EQ-Reverb-100-watt_W0QQitemZ270447557837QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef7ee3ccd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Thanks,

Mike

p.s. Don't buy it, lol.

Definitely the real thing. Although I wouldn't shell out 3.2k for it, I do think it's priced well considering how mint it looks.

Elpelotero said:
Definitely the real thing. Although I wouldn't shell out 3.2k for it, I do think it's priced well considering how mint it looks.

Thanks, what about the whole Simul-class thing. Is that important if you're going for the Petrucci/Black album thing?

Thanks,

Mike

What do you think of this value?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-IIC-Fully-Loaded-2C-II-Simul-Class_W0QQitemZ160360221052QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item255636c97c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Nazgul666 said:
What do you think of this value?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-IIC-Fully-Loaded-2C-II-Simul-Class_W0QQitemZ160360221052QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item255636c97c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
First of all, the serial number (11503) indicates it's an upgrade, meaning it has a lower market value than a production C+. So, I'd say the offer price is at least $600 to $800 high for an upgrade. Bear in mind, an upgrade is in every way a C+, but they don't command as much as production C+'s. All these amps have some variation in tone, even among units with identical features. I've heard some say they had upgrades that they preferred over comparable production models. So, if you want the sound of a C+ and are not concerned with collectibility, I'd say look at an upgrade. In my opinion, this one is overpriced. It would be fairly priced for a production C+.

Second, this thread is not the best place to post this question. You'd be better off posting in the Classified section.

Just picked up a IIC+ with Serial 1243x. It is a simul-class, reverb, no-EQ. Received it, turned it on and saw the dreaded operational smoke.
Spoke with Mike B, he thinks it's probley just the switch that blew. I noticed one of the silver caps was ready to burst.
So needless to say it went in before I got to compare it to my 60/100. I am getting all the caps replaced and a general cleanup and inspection.
Should be good as new in a couple of weeks.
Mike confirmed the C+ status by visual inspection. Kind of cool to have of of the first ones.

I have just found a Mark II-C preamp block diagram in one of Mesa's old brochures.
Many people in this forum have known this for years but, being myself no electronic engineer, I thought it was worth it to share it with other rookies like me.

Lead mode has a First Gain (Input) - Tone (and Treble shift)/Volume1 - Gain makeup - Lead Drive volume - First Lead Gain - Tone shaping - Second Lead Gain - Tone shaping - Mixer Amplifier Gain - Lead Master volume - Reverb (Rev. Driver & Rev. Return Amp) - Effects Send/Return - Effects buffer gain - Master1 Volume - Graphic EQ path

Rhythm mode has a First Gain (Input) - Tone/Volume1 - Gain makeup - Rhythm Tone shaping - Mixer Amplifier Gain - Reverb (Rev. Driver & Rev. Return Amp) - Effects Send/Return - Effects buffer gain - Master1 Volume - Graphic EQ path

Maybe this information has been already posted a thousand times but I found it very useful (at least, for me) to have a block diagram like this one.
Regards
Daniel

By request, I scanned the block diagram so you can find it here below.

CCF11282009_00000.jpg

Boogiebabies, I know you will immediately realize that the preamp tubes names (V1A; V1B; etc) don't match the ones stated in the Maintenance & Repairs manual. I have no idea why.

Best regards

To my eye, this is the flow diagram for the IIC+ not the IIC. Note how the effects loop comes after the lead circuit.

I believe that in the IIC, the effects loop comes before the lead circuit. The position of the effects loop relative to the lead circuit is why the lauded "loop test" is able to differentiate a IIC from a IIC+. To my eye, the circuit as drawn would "pass" the loop test, making it a IIC+.

I do see that the diagram says "IIC" at the top, but did Mesa differentiate its documentation between IIC and IIC+ at the time?

Chip

Regarding the documentation differentiation, in a 2005 Mesa brochure, Randall Smith was promoting the Mark IV as:
"Voted amp of the year three times in Europe and still one of our most popular models, includes fabled II-C Lead sound."

This was 2005... so it seems Mesa was trying to downplay the difference between the C and C+ (even 20 years after they stopped producing the II-C+) and refusing to give the C+ its own identity.

Maybe in RCS mind, the II-C and the II-C+ are essentially the same amp. We can only suspect that, had he designed the C+ himself, he would have called it the II-D.

Just guessing... but this could be the reason why an apparently II-C+ diagram says II-C at the top.
Regards

I bought my Mark IIC+ with a 13xxx serial number directly from Mesa. At the time I don't recall anyone from Mesa actually telling me I was getting a C+. For years I just thought I had a Mark IIC. It wasn't until I pulled it out of the basement after not playing much the last 10 years and doing some web searches and finding out there was a C and a C+ and I had a C+. None of the papers that came with the amp said C+ either.

My amp is getting delivered today after getting a once over from MikeB at the Mesa factory. Can't wait to play with it. I have been playing my son's Line6 Spyder IV that I bought for him. Then in 2 weeks or so my 83 Les Paul Custom should be ready to play. A local shop is taking off the Kahler bar I foolishly put on.

I have a Mark II. which I believe to be a IIC, but the serial number is in the 38** range. As in, almost 10,000 short of where a IIC should lie.

It has all of the specifications to match a IIC -

HRGX chassis code / export tranny / 100/60 switch
Pull Shift on Bass
Pull Gain Boost on Master 1
Effects loop on back, as opposed to Preamp out/Power amp in

And it doesn't appear as though there have ever been any modifications... if there were, they were DEFINITELY by Boogie and at least have been since the 80's since they were done. What's the deal with my amp?

nocluejimbo said:
I have a Mark II. which I believe to be a IIC, but the serial number is in the 38** range. As in, almost 10,000 short of where a IIC should lie.

Pull Shift on Bass

And it doesn't appear as though there have ever been any modifications... if there were, they were DEFINITELY by Boogie and at least have been since the 80's since they were done. What's the deal with my amp?
http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/serials.html
try this....

lesterpaul said:
nocluejimbo said:

Pull Shift on Bass

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/serials.html

try this....

Yeah, I have seen that chart before... except this amp bears absolutely NO resemblance to a IIA except for the low serial.

Latest posts

Back