What to change in my Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deftone82

Reaction score
Hi all

Since a while I've got a Mark IV widebody combo.

I have been reading a lot about switching tubes, speakers, external cabs...
What advice can you guys give on what will be an improvement for my amp?

Currently I'm using:
- pre-amp: 5 12ax7 tubes
- power section: 2 standard Mesa 6L6 in the outer two sockets, 2 sovtek 5881WXT in the two inner sockets
- speaker: standard black shadow C90

- guitar: Gibson SG standard

I hear alot about EL34 tubes, V30 speakers, Thiele cabs...what could I chance for sounds like(what ever channel...):
- Metallica: chunky 'James' rhythem stuff or the "seek and destroy"-intro sound!
- G'nR: Slash's plucky warm lead tones
- Mastodon: the more raw, nasty heavy tones
- others: AC/DC, Pearl Jam, ...

I know it's a lot and quite different sounds but I thougt the metallica sound in the lead ch, GnR or Mastodon (offcourse with different settings) on Rhy 2...

Maybe I need to switch pick-ups?

Bring it on!

First off, the manual says you can run 5881s in the Class A (outside) sockets, or all four sockets. So I'd swap the 5881s and the 6L6s.

Running El34s in the outside sockets will give a more midrange focus (Marshall-esque), but will take away some of the highs and low end punch.

I've had good results by installing vintage preamp tubes in my IVb. They removed much of the boxiness from it, making it sound more "organic", or closer to my Mark IIs.

Hope this helps.

For the Metallica tone you may need hotter pups and a closed back speaker cab. For GnR and AC/DC you should be able to get pretty close with the setup you have now.

dodger916 said:
First off, the manual says you can run 5881s in the Class A (outside) sockets, or all four sockets. So I'd swap the 5881s and the 6L6s.
Running El34s in the outside sockets will give a more midrange focus (Marshall-esque), but will take away some of the highs and low end punch.

That's strange...the guy I bought this from said he got the amp looked after before selling....
And that swapping, is it something I can do myself?

And does a Mark IV need to be re-biased after installing new tubes?

thanks for the help!

For the Metallica tone you may need hotter pups and a closed back speaker cab

and by pups you mean....?
I allready hear that closing a mark IV combo is not the smartest thing to do because of the heat of the tubes....so I probably need an external cab?

and by pups you mean....?
I allready hear that closing a mark IV combo is not the smartest thing to do because of the heat of the tubes....so I probably need an external cab?
Pick ups. I wasn't suggesting that you close your combo, I said a closed back speaker CAB. A 2x12 or 4x12 recto type would suffice. As far as settings go you have to take recommendations with a large grain of salt. 50% of your tone comes from your fingers, guitar type, and room size/shape. Slash uses Marshalls last I looked so I would begin on channel 2, class A, with a fair ammount of gain.

I would highly suggest Tung Sol EL34's in the outer and Tung Sol 6L6's in the inner slots. I run class A most of the time in triode and get great classic tones. Pull the fats and push in the shifts.

So about those tubes, can I switch them myself or do I take it to a dealer?

cheers

You can switch easily on your own. Make sure the amp is off and the tubes are cool. Grab them by the base and wiggle back and forth until the come out. The EL34's I used were kinda tall and took a little fiddling to get them in, but they sound amazing.

Oh and you don't need to bias a Mark IV.

I would suggest a Thiele cab with EV speaker.
They are a bit rare, but there are a few companies out there that build them with the (excellent) new EVM speakers. Those cabs really complement the MkIV combo to my tastes.

I changed them myself...could not wait!

I gues it worked...there's still a sh*tload of sweet sound coming out of that beast!

So I'm going to look for a 1x12 or 2x12 external, closed-back, speaker cab.

Anyone other options, next to the Thiele with EV speaker?

Take it to a professional repairman first. Tell him you need a diagnostic an overhaul and a Cap job. Every 10-12 years these amplifiers need new filter capacitors. I replaced mine on a Mark 1, and now I love the sound, volume is much higher... I also had it voiced for more upper mids like an old Marshall. The tech I took it to(Val King of kingamplification.com) is registered with Mesa/Boogie as an authorized repairman and a real standup guy, so I know its good work.

deftone82 said:
Hi all

Since a while I've got a Mark IV widebody combo.

I have been reading a lot about switching tubes, speakers, external cabs...
What advice can you guys give on what will be an improvement for my amp?

Currently I'm using:
- pre-amp: 5 12ax7 tubes
- power section: 2 standard Mesa 6L6 in the outer two sockets, 2 sovtek 5881WXT in the two inner sockets
- speaker: standard black shadow C90

- guitar: Gibson SG standard

I hear alot about EL34 tubes, V30 speakers, Thiele cabs...what could I chance for sounds like(what ever channel...):
- Metallica: chunky 'James' rhythem stuff or the "seek and destroy"-intro sound!
- G'nR: Slash's plucky warm lead tones
- Mastodon: the more raw, nasty heavy tones
- others: AC/DC, Pearl Jam, ...

I know it's a lot and quite different sounds but I thougt the metallica sound in the lead ch, GnR or Mastodon (offcourse with different settings) on Rhy 2...

Maybe I need to switch pick-ups?

Bring it on!

treedroppings said:
Take it to a professional repairman first. Tell him you need a diagnostic an overhaul and a Cap job. Every 10-12 years these amplifiers need new filter capacitors.

Ok, please explain a bit, because I will have to tell this in dutch! And I really have no idea what your are talking about!
What did it cost you?

ps: the amp is around 12 years old...
ps2: I'm from belgium, so a job by Val King will turn out a bit expensive!

Back