2:90 vs Recto 2:100

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petejt

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in getting a stereo poweramp, particularly a Mesa/Boogie. The Strategy 400/500 & 295 are out of my league, so I won't concern myself with them.

How does the 2:90 compare to the Recto 2:100?

Both have a Modern mode, so I guess this is similar the the Modern/Red mode on the Dual Rectifier amp heads? It disengages the negative feedback to let more low end through?

I know that the 2:90 is 10 more watts less powerful than the 2:100, so I guess there is a little less headroom there, although headroom is not such an issue, 80 watts would be enough for me.

All I can say is, is that I like the sound of an old (pre-1995) Dual Rectifier POWERAMP in Orange mode, regardless of what rectifier (diode/valve) is used or bold/spongy mode. It would be great if I can get this sound in stereo.

And I wouldn't mind trying the Red mode/Modern again.

Is the 2:90 more like the Mark series poweramps? I don't really need Simul-Class, mostly because I already have it in my MarkIV amp head, running the dry signal and a split signal to an external poweramp, which needs to be stereo for the wet/wet sounds.

Would the 2:90 be like Vintage/orange mode on the Recto amp head? And does the 2:100 have Vintage/orange mode too? Or are they both just a 'regular' mode and then when engaging Modern mode, disengage the negative feedback like on the Recto amp heads, and boost some top end?

I need help with this so I can work out which one to get. The 2:90 seems more available than the 2:100, so if the 2:90 does replicate a Recto's poweramp in Vintage mode, then I could buy that.

Please help me, thanks.

Sorry folks, I should have described some more things about the situation.

My Mesa/Boogie MarkIV is my main amp, which apart from some effects pedals out front, will run the 'dry' unaffected signal.

The Satellite Send jack of my MarkIV will go to a stereo poweramp, to run a stereo 4x12 cab adjacent to my MarkIV's 4x12 cab.

The MarkIV's tone is very focused, tight, chuggy, roaring in the mids, and crunchy, lots of top-end crunch. The tone I want for this stereo poweramp will be very dark, rounded, and BALLSY. It has to be tough-sounding, but focused so it dovetails in with the MarkIV's sound, not compete with it. It has to complement the MarkIV's sound. A bit of upper mids will be nice, but not too much. The emphasis will be on the lower registers- it has to be a dark sound without being too dominating. This is important.

So, it would help for the stereo poweramp to impart some of its tone on the preamp signal. Poweramp distortion is also desired, but not completely necessary. I do not want a sterile, 'clean' poweramp sound, which I know does work well for effects. Even though stereo effects will be used, I'm not worried about that.

And another thing, the 4x12 cab is wired for 2x16 ohms, 16 ohms per side (channel). Will the 2:90 or Recto 2:100 be able to handle that?

Since you aren't running any stereo effects and using only one preamp, why are you trying to get a stereo setup. It would be easier and a hell of a lot more economical to run two speaker cabinets that are voiced the way you want out of your Mark IV. One more thing, cranking the volume to get power tube distortion while running a 2:90 and the Mark IV simultaneously would be loud enough to kill everyone within a 50 foot radius.

ryjan said:
Since you aren't running any stereo effects and using only one preamp, why are you trying to get a stereo setup. It would be easier and a hell of a lot more economical to run two speaker cabinets that are voiced the way you want out of your Mark IV. One more thing, cranking the volume to get power tube distortion while running a 2:90 and the Mark IV simultaneously would be loud enough to kill everyone within a 50 foot radius.

Basically what it boils down to, is that I like the sound of an older Dual Rectifier poweramp. Because that particular cab WILL be running a stereo effect, I want that sound, or similar, in stereo. Also I need something that is smaller than an amp head, and 2U rackspace is a perfect size.

It's a strange sort of setup, as it will be "stereo within stereo"- a stereo cab that itself forms one side of a stereo pair setup. This stereo business is crucial.

The two poweramps that fit that category are the 2:90 and 2:100.

I am having a lot of difficulty finding a used 2:100. I have though found lots of 2:90 poweramps, as well as mono Recto amp heads.

If the 2:90 can replicate what the 2:100 can do (and thus what a Dual Recto can do, but in stereo), then I will buy it, since it is more available.

I know that the 2:90 has the Modern mode, just like the 2:100, but yet my main concern is getting the Orange/Vintage mode- that's what I preferred when using the Recto amp head. I will though re-try the Modern/Red mode, but still, if I can have the Orange/Vintage mode, then that would be perfect.

So, all of you that have either of or both the 2:90 and 2:100, or at least used them or one of them, please post here with whatever you know, thank you.

I think I answered this on Rig-Talk too... in short, the 2:100 crushes. If you want versitility, go with the 2:90.

It was stated in a previous post that the two amps modern modes are not similar. With the 2:100 when switched to modern mode the negative feedback from the output transformer to the phase inverter is removed and the location of the presence control is moved. On the 2:90 the modern mode just re-voices the negative feedback, there is never a situation where there is no negative feedback going into the phase inverter.

In the dual rectifier power amp in modern mode removes the negative feedback, so if that is what your going for, the 2:100 is your best bet.

The 2:Ninety is the power amp section of a Mark IV... actually, it's two Mark IV power blocks.
The 2:100 is the power amp section of a Dual Rectifier (x 2).

It's actually a 20 Watt difference-- 10 per side.

But tone-wise, they are very different power amps. You'll get the dirtier heavy response from the Recto and the more tightly-focused Mark-series response from the 2:Ninety. Both great amps, but your use is a bit more specific. I think Mark series amps and Recto amps make a great pair for diverse tone with good blends, so you probably want the Recto. But don't expect to push it into clipping territory unless you're on a stadium-sized stage.

The 2:90 is Simul Class..
The 2:100 isn't

The Simul Class runs 2 sets of tubes in Class A mode and 2 sets of tubes in Class AB

The 2:100 is all Class AB

That's likely the biggest difference.

I don't think you'd miss the 10 watts per side.. the 2:90 is very loud and powerful.

bjoneill74 said:
I don't think you'd miss the 10 watts per side.. the 2:90 is very loud and powerful.

Ha! NOBODY in the history of rock music has ever complained about a 2:Ninety not being loud enough :p.

Back