Mod Kits for Mesa Amps????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#2121313 said:
Basically a Mark V C+ mode mod to make it EXACTLY the same circuitry and push pull options with same tube options as the DRG model C+.

Thanks.

Not to rain on your parade, but if you want a DRG C+, sell your MkV and buy one. Be forewarned, they are definately NOT as user friendly as the MkIV or V. I had the pleasure of playing a MkV last night for a few hours. My favorites were Ch1 Tweed, Ch2 MkI, and Ch3 MkIV. This was with EL-34 power tubes and "substitute" V1,V2 and V3 preamp tubes. I had the MkV opened up for current draw measurement the other day. One look inside the chassis was enough for me. I'm sure it could be modded, but it would not be any fun doing the work. :(

I'd like to have LESS gain on R2 of my Mark III Blue. I can't switch from clean to R2 without wishing their was less gain (or adjustable gain on R2). I can't get that bluesy/classic crunch without a pedal on R1.

OK.....so far we have:

Bias Pot (I don't like the idea of external ports because the Plate Voltage and Bias Current really need to both be looked at)

Footswitchable Boost on DC's (I will look into this one on my DC-10 when I find some time)

Facelift: Not sure what can be done about the III. Basically, you would have to switch some components in when the amp is turned to the distortion channel since everything in the clean channel is also in the others. That one might be a bit advanced. I'm thinking fairly simple to install for the 1st set.

Filter Cap replacement kits

1/2 speed switch for the fan (not sure about this one, but I'll look into it)

High end fizz removal on 3 channel Recto

Mark III R2 Gain & Master Volume mods

More gain on Mark IV R2

Some of these, I will need to wait until I can open the amps up and make sure that they work. I may have to start with the amps I own, DC & Heartbreaker. :D Looks like I need more amps! :D

Any other suggestions?
What would make them easy to install? Pictures?

Kiff has some cool midi ideas, you might PM him MJ.

Monsta-Tone said:
Facelift: Not sure what can be done about the III. Basically, you would have to switch some components in when the amp is turned to the distortion channel since everything in the clean channel is also in the others. That one might be a bit advanced. I'm thinking fairly simple to install for the 1st set.

Not a problem. I was thinking it would be pretty complicated. I will have to call Mesa and see if they know of anything that can be done. I dont know if it would be as easy as having seperate gain controls for each channel considering that it has cascading gain from everything working together. I imagine thats why they went with the Mark IV because this was a nondesirable trait of the mark III.

Its basically the treble knob being turned up high to get the right amount of grit on the leadchannel, which in turn gives a little grit to the clean to as well as volume. Maybe having a seperate treble control for the lead and for clean. I will call and post what Im told.

Monsta-Tone said:
OK.....so far we have:

Any other suggestions?
What would make them easy to install? Pictures?

DC-5 reverb mod for better reverb

5-way Midrange Sellector switch for channel 2

Footswitchable (adjustable) Solo Boost (works just like the newer models of Mesa amps where you have a Solo button and a pot to adjust the Solo volume)

I'd provide hi-res DC-5 pics if you wanted them.

The better Reverb is easy enough to do.

The 5-way mid switch is pretty easy to do too, but you need a hole in the chassis or to use an existing hole that is not needed. I usually use the Reverb footswitch jack on amps where it is easily accessible, or the Mix or Slave pot holes.

The Solo boost is tricky. I don't know if it infringes on any patents that Mesa has and I certainly can't afford a lawsuit. The one I do is similar, but not identical to theirs, so I guess I'll have to check.

Looks like I need to get some parts together and figure out what a fair price is for all of them.

I would greatly appreciate some before and after shots.

I'd love to see the "secret" mod Mesa do to Mk-IIA amps that makes the effect loop useble and the Dirty channel more verstile. I'd also love to see a GEQ and/or REV added to amps that don't have it .
Unfortunately, living on the other end of the globe makes sending an amp to mesa cost about as much as another amp ...

check out FJA mods on youtube..i dug his 5150 mod..he does mesa too..so far just rectifiers i think. (single all the way to the RKII)

just to make sure i get on any mods you might come up with for the Mark III, as others have mentioned my desires ... it is both great and bad that i can get every single tone i want out of the amp - just not at the same time. but i can get more tones since i did the R2 volume mod. i think i get three ... another gain increase/decrease FOOTSWITCHABLE is my desire. i don;t really care personally whether it's on R1 or R2, although i guess R2 is the best spot to keep R1 "tamed".

as i may have mentioned before ... my playing sucks, but my amp(s) SINGS ...

MJ Slaughter said:
I always thought it would be nice on the DC amps to have a footswitch to engage the pull boost on the clean channel with the ability to level the boost volume with the other modes.

+1 would add essentially a third option (not including GEQ) on the footswitch.

MT-

It would be cool to swap out a pair of 6L6s for EL34s. You couldn't make a non simulclass amp into a simulaclass amp without an OT replacement, but you could rewire for one set of EL34s instead. Running a set of 6L6s and EL34s would be very nice for all of us that don't have a simulclass amp. If you didn't like the sound, you could always switch back.

-Murf

Murfman said:
MT-

It would be cool to swap out a pair of 6L6s for EL34s. You couldn't make a non simulclass amp into a simulaclass amp without an OT replacement, but you could rewire for one set of EL34s instead. Running a set of 6L6s and EL34s would be very nice for all of us that don't have a simulclass amp. If you didn't like the sound, you could always switch back.

-Murf

:D That's not a bad idea, I'll have to work on that!

We have an illness in the family that will delay the mod kits, but keep them coming. Once things settle down a bit, I'll get right on them.

I am a DC-5 owner.

I would also be very interested in:

-DC-5 reverb mod for better reverb

-5-way Midrange Sellector switch for channel 2

-Footswitchable (adjustable) Solo Boost

-but I would also be interested in some kind of a mod for more gain on channel 2, or even a way to just tighten up the current gain channel.

DBDbadreligion said:
I am a DC-5 owner.

I would also be very interested in:

-DC-5 reverb mod for better reverb

-5-way Midrange Sellector switch for channel 2

-Footswitchable (adjustable) Solo Boost

-but I would also be interested in some kind of a mod for more gain on channel 2, or even a way to just tighten up the current gain channel.

If I end up keeping my DC-5 I might be interested in these also.

Monsta-Tone said:
Murfman said:
MT-

-Murf

:D That's not a bad idea, I'll have to work on that!

We have an illness in the family that will delay the mod kits, but keep them coming. Once things settle down a bit, I'll get right on them.

I think if you get Mk 1 reissue schematics, that would help you, because the re-issue can use 4 x EL34 s, 4 x 6V6's, or eurotube guy said 2x e34l's plus 2x 6L6's

Links to the schematics :D
http://www.tubefreak.com/mkirga_1.jpg
http://www.tubefreak.com/mkirga_2.jpg

Monsta-Tone said:
Well...
I'm definitely thinking about the following though:
Variable NFB

Lately I had played a Triaxis in the FX return of my MkIVa amp and noticed something curious. When I footswitched between the three amp's channels, I heard that the sound changed when I selected the lead channel. It became bigger and bolder. I suppose it has to do with the poweramp, since the amp's preamp should be almost completely removed at the FX return jack. If you found me a way to add a switch which could make me activate that "supposedly-poweramp-feature" for the Rhythms, I'd pay you a hundred bucks for a cap. It's just that good. :)

Maybe this is a completely stupid question :oops: and not at all possible but
could you somehow replace the mid and bass pots on R1 and R2 with
pushpull pots on a MKIV and wire them so that R1 and R2 have seperate
mid and bass controls? Please don't laugh at my lack of electronics savvy!
Thanks!

That could most likely be done, but it would take another LDR to remove the existing bass and mid when R2 is sellected.
Also, it would have to be concentric pots which would basically have 2 knobs in the place of one.
That's not really something that I would want to have as a kit, maybe though!

Latest posts

Back