Better lead tone from a 2ch Dual Rectifier?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerrick

Reaction score
Right now im really liking the rhythm sound of my dual rectifier. Its insane. But the leads arent as creamy as id like them to be.

I have an early revision G, so im not expecting the creamiest of lead tones, but figured I can get better than where I am at. Ill have to get my actual amps setting up here Monday night, and ill try to get a video too, just as reference to the tone.

But any settings you guys have for a DR that gets a good creamy lead tone would be great to see. Im not trying to copy Petruccis tone, but figured id post here as he has a great lead tone that many study and try to replicate with their gear, and hopefully that can somewhat translate to other Mesa amps and help me get my tone better.

Thanks. =p

I dont have a Recto, so I cant help for settings on there. But... I do suggest putting some delay, light chorusing, maybe even an overdrive on your lead channel. For reference, Petrucci uses a stereo delay set to 250 milliseconds on one side and 500 on the other side for his main lead patch (same effect can be achieved with parallel/dual delay)

Ive been thinking about adding some Chorus lately. Im the guitarist of a instrumental prog metal trio, and im always thinking of ways to completely fill out a venue with just my guitar.

I do use a boost in front of the amp for both clean and rhythm/leads, which helps a lot, and is always being turned on or off depending on the mood, and style of the song.

I wish I could use a stereo setup. My cab can be used in a stereo mode, but that doesnt do much and im not in a situation where I can haul around another cabinet.

Ill be getting the video up tomorrow. =p

A few searches on google and other forums will yield some of Petrucci's Recto settings. I have found that knocking down the mids some gets me a creamy tone metal lead tone. Bumping them up gets you Santana.

Ive must been unlucky with searches then. :oops:

I tend to run my mids higher than most. Helps me cut through well and just sounds better to me compared to less mids or settings with mids completely scooped. Maybe ill have to find a good medium.

Time to find my camera and go to practice now.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=32699

This thread has his settings on his Roadking. You may be able to use that as a good starting point

Thanks. His Modern setting is basically what im at, which is kind of funny cause ive never seen his settings before. I do use more mids and presence though.

I had some problems with youtube, but here is my amp. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylomKKHB5JA

You know it honestly could just be the behringer cab bottlenecking the amp.

LTE said:
You know it honestly could just be the behringer cab bottlenecking the amp.

There is a running joke between my friends and I where whenever we see a Behringer anything someone is obligated to say "Eww... Behringer". Same thing applies to Line 6, haha.

That being said, it would be a good suggestion to try through a different cab and see if the difference is something you like.

Nah, no bottle necking with the cab, Behringer doesnt suck that bad. Ive gone through a lot of other cabs, and there are some differences in sound, but nothing major and nothing that magically changes my tone. Which is why I still have the Behringer cab, it was cheap, no worries about blowing the speakers, and sounds great, specially onstage or outside, its very open and doesnt focus the sound where its pointed, the sound goes everywhere. =p

Though I havent tried a Mills afterburner. lol

I put my Rat pedal in front, and used that as a boost, which I may start using for now on. It sounds great, adds a bit of compression, and really saturates the sound. Adds a bit more grit to the clean channel, but I can deal with that and just switch it off when I need to.

Latest posts

Back