New tubes with Yellow Jackets - burning smell

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregrjones

Reaction score
I recently retubed my LSC with new EL84's (using Yellow Jackets) and 6V6's (I've used this config before).

After a couple of minutes of playing, I started to smell something burning so I immediately turned off the amp. The tubes were hotter than normal.

I couldn't see smoke and the tubes look like they are still new but I'm afraid to turn the amp on again until I get some feedback about the possible problem.

I had the amp set at 50 watts, was using the 4 ohm speaker jack and had the bias switch set to EL34. I was NOT running the amp very loud.

Please advise.

BTW, I tried turning the amp on again afterwards and this time watched the tubes very closely. The first power tube started burning red hot. I turned the amp off before smelling anything.

Could my YJ adapters be bad?

Groove Tubes.

But one reason I suspect the YJs is because the reason I retubed was due to the fact that with the previous power tubes in the YJs, I was blowing fuses.

Now, the problem is different though....

I did put 6v6's in the amp last night and they're working alright as well.

You could have damaged the yjs with the bad power tubes. Where the tubes arching? I had a similer problem when I had a power tube short out and the yj took a hit before the fuse blew. The problem did not present itself till later. I by no means am an expert but I would suspect the adapter. good luck.

Greg I had the same problem. Sent the YJs back. They sent me new ones back. Tried these and the same thing happened with the burnin smell and smoke. I gave up and never tried them again. Fortunately I don't believe that amp (LSC) was damaged. Sorry I know this doesn't help you much. Who did you buy the YJs from?

Latest posts

Back