22%
Green
28%

Total votes: 36

Paw
Mark II

King of the Mark III's

Post by Paw » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:17 pm

I'm a bit curious about the Mark III(s) as I've never tried one. I thought it would be fun to check out the popularity of the different stripes/editions, and hear some opinions about them, so I made this poll/debate :mrgreen:

Rules:
1. You should have tried at least two different editions to vote.
2. Base your judgment on the amp as a whole, not one channel.

The poll won't be very fair as only a few individuals have tried all editions, but I guess it will give us some kind of hint to which are the preferred sounding ones. And yes, sound is subjective, so don't take this too seriously and remember this is just for fun :wink: Now do your duty and start voting :D
Last edited by Paw on Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrMarkIII
Dual Recto

Re: King of the Mark III's

Post by MrMarkIII » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:39 pm

You mean "subjective". :D

Paw
Mark II

Post by Paw » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:18 pm

Thank you for the correction :lol: fixed

KRAUT
Donating Member

Post by KRAUT » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:20 pm

Rules:
1. You should have tried at least two different editions to vote.

..........I have a blk-dot + green-stripe, owned also a blue-stripe years ago

2. Base your judgment on the amp as a whole, not one channel.
.....voted for green-stripe
best vol-balance between all 3 channels, best chn.2 voicing

IMO the blk dot has the better lead-tone, its more aggressive and searing....
what i like a bit better.
- Mark IIb SGX -
- Mark IIC+ DRGX -
- Mark III blk-dot DRGX -
- Lonestar Classic Head -

CoG
Donating Member

Post by CoG » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:54 am

Warning, rant here.

God, I'm sick of this discussion. Note that (almost) the only people who care are kids who don't own a Mark III (or, generally, any other 'real' amp) and are trying to find a way to sound like Petrucci but they can't afford a Mark IV, or who just bought their Mark III in the past, like, month and are either honeymooning or having buyer's remorse. I own a green and a purple and have played a blue. The differences between the amps are barely worth mentioning.

If I recorded parts blindfolded with someone plugging me into each of my own amps I wouldn't be able to tell them apart except on R2, where the green has more gain and less bass. I used to think there was more of a difference between the stripes until I actually tried recording and A/B ing parts and I couldn't tell the difference. Anyone who says he can pick the different stripes' R1 or Lead channels out of a blind taste test is full of it.
Royal Atlantic RA-100 Head
MkIII Green Stripe DRG
Lots of Mesa cabs
Marshall JCM800
Also owned: Rec Pre, 20/20, Bottle Rocket, MkIII Purple Stripe DRG, Rev F DR, Rectoverb 50 Series II

Paw
Mark II

Post by Paw » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:43 am

CoG wrote:Warning, rant here.

God, I'm sick of this discussion. Note that (almost) the only people who care are kids who don't own a Mark III (or, generally, any other 'real' amp) and are trying to find a way to sound like Petrucci but they can't afford a Mark IV, or who just bought their Mark III in the past, like, month and are either honeymooning or having buyer's remorse. I own a green and a purple and have played a blue. The differences between the amps are barely worth mentioning.

If I recorded parts blindfolded with someone plugging me into each of my own amps I wouldn't be able to tell them apart except on R2, where the green has more gain and less bass. I used to think there was more of a difference between the stripes until I actually tried recording and A/B ing parts and I couldn't tell the difference. Anyone who says he can pick the different stripes' R1 or Lead channels out of a blind taste test is full of it.
God, did you get your period lately? :lol: But seriously, it's just a poll man, stay out if you don't want to participate :wink:

CoG
Donating Member

Post by CoG » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:44 pm

With 45 posts, you have no idea how many times this topic has come up and it's always exactly the same.

Edit: here is the thread, so you you don't need to search the archives

OP: What are the differences between the stripes? I am trying to get Petrucci's tone, which one is closest to a IIC+?
Some guy: (link to the kind of crappy mac.com boogie page)
OP: O NOES IT SAYS THE BLACK AND PURPLE STRIPES CAN'T DO METAL
Some other guy: I own two III's and I can't really tell them apart.
Some other other guy: I own a III and a IIC+ and they are different amps. The III is more aggressive-sounding and the IIC+ is smoother but has less gain available.
Another guy: can mark iii do metal like extreme technical metal like dread cthulhu on the forced anal discharge cd? sorry for english
Yet another guy: what tubes you put in them makes a bigger difference than any difference between the stripes
And another guy: the III is a great amp but the Mark IV is better for live
Somebody else: I heard the red stripe is closest to the iic+

There you go. The Mark III dot/stripe thread in eight lines.
Last edited by CoG on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MkIII Green Stripe DRG
Lots of Mesa cabs
Marshall JCM800
Also owned: Rec Pre, 20/20, Bottle Rocket, MkIII Purple Stripe DRG, Rev F DR, Rectoverb 50 Series II

DaveP
Mark III

Post by DaveP » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:22 pm

I think the brown stripe sounds like ass. Just my opinion.

MrMarkIII
Dual Recto

Post by MrMarkIII » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:33 pm

I wanna know how you got that brown stripe on the back of the amp chassis. Ouch! :D
CoG is correct. (And funny :lol: as well.) No stripe is "better" than any other stripe. I've played a Blue for 20 years at four-hour gigs every weekend. Recently got a Green. Could not possibly tell them apart blindfolded.
Buy a more recent iteration, i.e., a Blue or Green, for no other reason than the newer ones are probably in better shape and the older ones are closer to needing a cap job.

CoG
Donating Member

Post by CoG » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:46 pm

MrMarkIII wrote:I wanna know how you got that brown stripe on the back of the amp chassis. Ouch! :D
CoG is correct. (And funny :lol: as well.) No stripe is "better" than any other stripe. I've played a Blue for 20 years at four-hour gigs every weekend. Recently got a Green. Could not possibly tell them apart blindfolded.
Buy a more recent iteration, i.e., a Blue or Green, for no other reason than the newer ones are probably in better shape and the older ones are closer to needing a cap job.
Rabies had a brown stripe Mark III. Actually, those were the tubes in his green stripe after he tried putting KT88s in it. Four brown stripes.

I'm not sure why guys get hung up on buying an $700-$1000 used amp. If you don't like it, it's 25 years old, it's not like it's gonna depreciate anymore, just flip it again. You're pretty much just borrowing it with a deposit. And seriously, if you don't like a green stripe or a red stripe or whatever, you're not gonna like one of the other stripes more.
MkIII Green Stripe DRG
Lots of Mesa cabs
Marshall JCM800

okgb
Mark II

Post by okgb » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:46 am

i with you there , not happy with my no stripe
haven't bought another boogie product since
[ well some crappy chinese 6l6's , no better ]

bartchamdoh
Mark III

Post by bartchamdoh » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:44 am

I have a greenie(fully loaded) simul-class and two purples(basic sixty watt models with no thrills)and the green gets my vote.Whilst it,s true you can tweak all the mark 3 stripes to sound very similar to me it,s more a playability thang! How well do the channels balance together for channel switching?Does the amp have the rhytmn 2 mod(does it need it!),does it have enough power for your needs(60, 60/100,simul-class or colliseum).If your looking like me for an amp that can cut it as a stand alone amp or do that little bit extra when required with the right pedal or two these are to me the real issues,and may i add imo the later mark 3,s blues and greens are the ones that cut the mustard in this department.
Mark 3 drg greenstripe short head
Mark 3 purple stripe super sixty short head
Mark 3 purple stripe super sixty rack mount
Mark 2b srgx short head
.50 Caliber long head
Dc 5b widebody combo
Mesa/Engl cabs
Fender guitars

igfraso
Mark IV

Post by igfraso » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:49 pm

CoG wrote: Some guy: (link to the kind of crappy mac.com boogie page)
I disagree. In my opinion, it is not a crappy page.

Ian spent a lot of his personal time in order to create that site and share with us first-hand information received from Mesa Boogie and from the guys that developed those different stripes.
Best regards
Daniel

CoG
Donating Member

Post by CoG » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:10 pm

igfraso wrote:
CoG wrote: Some guy: (link to the kind of crappy mac.com boogie page)
I disagree. In my opinion, it is not a crappy page.

Ian spent a lot of his personal time in order to create that site and share with us first-hand information received from Mesa Boogie and from the guys that developed those different stripes.
Best regards
Yeah, sorry, I'm being unfair there. The thing is that it makes it sound like the differences between the Mark III stripes are a lot more significant than they actually are, and people who are new to Mark IIIs get misled into thinking that, like, black stripes have significantly less gain than blue or green stripes, or that a red stripe sounds like a C+, etc. etc.
MkIII Green Stripe DRG
Lots of Mesa cabs
Marshall JCM800

Paw
Mark II

Post by Paw » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:14 am

Seems like green is the sh!t 8) Good to know that boogie develops their products for the better (in most cases), although I can see how it's a bit irritating for ppl that got the first edition when the product was released. I've heard that boogie does free updates on the first editions of the Electradyne, very nice.