Dream Theater rules

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EirikBrandal said:
They've lost themselves completely if you compare them to earlier albums. They play more power metal and badly structured ballads now, and I certainly know a lot of better bands to top the hierarchy.

Something you have to realize about DT is that every album is totally different. Even WDADU, I&W and Awake arent alike at all. The only thing DT has "lost" is James' high end range. Plus, myself and a lot other fans included dont want to hear a recycled version of I&W anyways. Something new is always better than copying a formula

EirikBrandal said:
They've lost themselves completely if you compare them to earlier albums. They play more power metal and badly structured ballads now, and I certainly know a lot of better bands to top the hierarchy.
Anna Lee and Another Day are also very badly structured ballads :lol:
Also Take the Time is a cheesy power metal song...except for the guitar/keys duet :lol:

DudewithFr0 said:
EirikBrandal said:
Also Take the Time is a cheesy power metal song...except for the guitar/keys duet :lol:

Helloween is power metal. Sonata Arctica is power metal. Hell, even DragonForce is a bad excuse for power metal. To call anything by Dream Theater power metal, Take The Time in particular, is insulting to DT and the power metal genre.

Erotomaniac1928 said:
DudewithFr0 said:
EirikBrandal said:

Helloween is power metal. Sonata Arctica is power metal. Hell, even DragonForce is a bad excuse for power metal. To call anything by Dream Theater power metal, Take The Time in particular, is insulting to DT and the power metal genre.

You summed up what i was gonna say, but i wrote a huge post and the page locked up and it got lost.

Basically, i wish they would write more stuff like A Change of Seasons, or Metropolis Pt.2, but i respect the band highly, support them in their new musical endeavors and still like their music.

I love every album and this one is no different, sure they are moving in a different direction but thats what i love about DT, if I wanted to hear the same formula beat to death for 10 albums I would post on the Nickleback thread about how they really turn my crank but I love progressive music and DT for being just that. All opinions are cool because its about what YOU dig and get from an album or music. /cheers brothers of the axe

Erotomaniac1928 said:
DudewithFr0 said:
EirikBrandal said:

Progressive music spans all genres so yes they do have some power metal.
And Helloween, Sonata Artica, and stupid dragonforce have cheesy a-- lyrics...am i right or am i right?

DudewithFr0 said:
Progressive music spans all genres so yes they do have some power metal.
And Helloween, Sonata Artica, and stupid dragonforce have cheesy a-- lyrics...am i right or am i right?

I think Helloween's lyrics on "Mrs. God" aren't cheesy but really funny. If you've been married for a while, you'll understand. Even my wife gets a laugh out of those.

Erotomaniac1928 said:
I listened to the whole album on youtube, too. I kept what integrity I had left by refusing to download the songs. Ill get the special edition and really be prepared to hear it at its sonic amazingness. Youtube quality sucks, haha.

I actually buy all DT CDs and DVDs the old fashioned way, because I want to support what they are doing. 8)

I view Black Clouds as a high point for them and in particular for JP's tone. I am definitely missing Portnoy now....

Back