mark 3 serial numbers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My black dot simul/rev/GEQ has the X101 transformer (serial number 158xx).
I sent it to Mike Bendinelli to modify it into a red stripe and to add a volume R2 pot.

My purple stripe rev/GEQ has the X62 transformer (serial number 186xx).
Mike B. changed the class AB pentode power section into a class A triode and biased it for 2 x EL 34. Now it is a 25 watter amp and speaker jacks are now 16 ohm; 8 ohm; 8 ohm. A volume R2 pot was also added.
I call it my "orange stripe". :lol:

Regards
Daniel

I have a Mark III, which I recently acquired that has a serial # of 15202, and has no stripe and the initials "RCS" under the plug wire. I posted pics of it today in the Vintage Amps before 1991 thread.

Thanxs a lot i was checking out your pictures earlier, its very interesting to see that your mark 3 seems to have a modified 2c face plate ie gain boost instead of pull deep like the 2c+/mark 3,s that we normally see but still has the pull rhythmn 2 of the mark 3,s.How does that baby sound? and what output transformer does it have?

I have to confess ignorance as far as the transformer, tell me where to look and I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know. I have a Mark IV Rev A that I have owned for about 4 1/2 years now, so compared to it, I would say this Mark III lead has more balls/hairier than my Mark IV, and actually is a tad louder. I love my Mark IV, this Mark III I am just getting to know, but my initial reaction is that it is a knarly, monster amp. The R2 for crunch on the Mark III is freakin awesome once it is dialed in also. Running it through a Mesa 4x12 along with the combo speaker (not that you need it) turned up will crack the walls and vibrate the entire 1st floor of my home. unreal.

On my neck humbucker she does sing like a violin, similar singing tones to the Mark IV lead channel, but not identical. On my bridge pickup, the Mark III seems a little less smooth/compressed. Raw is one word I could use to describe the Mark III kind of like it spits and snarls awesome tones, whereas the Mark IV kind of oozes great tone. I still need to get new tubes in the Mark III and then do a more in depth analysis. I can tell you this, I like it!

Hi there,s a handy little site called''The Boogie archives'' if you check the 2c+ section it,ll give you all the info about transformers that you need to know.You,ve got an early black/no stripe so it should have one of the 2c+ transformers.What power output is your amp ie 60, 60/100 or simul class it sounds like you,ll be wanting to convert that combo into a head if your playing it through a 4x12 lol.I,ve done that with 2 of my boogies it,s easier for transport, storage and looks better on a cab.Anyways that,s a cool amp you,ve scored i always like the quirky transitional models that have some detail that makes them a bit different to the standard poduction runs ie the older 2c converted face plate ....congrats.

I think I might have one of the last blue stripes made. Its a '94 (dated February). Serial #27971, initialed MB. It is a pure beast. I dont know if they were having a funny day at Mesa, the initials and date are in purple marker, but I swear the stripe is blue. lol

I just purchased a loaded no-stripe (MB) Mk III head #15464 (20 numbers later than boogiemon [hello brother!]), and my tech told me it was the "higher voltage" transformer. Where is that stamped transformer ID located? Is it somewhere it can be seen without disassembling anything? It'd be cool to know.

-melne

Hey Bro!

mine's actually 15434, but we're still pretty close. i've got a bare-bones model: 60 watts, no eq. the transformer seems to be a smaller 60-watt model. Let me know what you find out about your transformer. i think the identifying numbers are on the underside of the xformer on the left. (as you face the back of the amp) i'll try to take a photo of mine & post it for comments.

How's that thing sound?

melne said:
I just purchased a loaded no-stripe (MB) Mk III head #15464 (20 numbers later than boogiemon [hello brother!]), and my tech told me it was the "higher voltage" transformer. Where is that stamped transformer ID located? Is it somewhere it can be seen without disassembling anything? It'd be cool to know.

-melne

Mark III Long Chassis SN/24428

I have know idea what stripe or dot because I have yet to see it. I'm buying it from an out of state guitar center. The only thing I know is the guy told me it has a Red (R) on the back? He thinks its initials but hes not sure. I don't even know if this thing is a Simul-Class.

I spoke with Mike Bendinelli He told me it might be a green stripe with a number that high. That really sucks for me because I want the IIC+ tone and response just like all the rest that buy a Mark amp looking for the Master Of Puppets, And Justice For All, Black album tone. I have looked for that tone going on 10 years now. This will be my first Boogie;)

Pearce117 said:

I have know idea what stripe or dot because I have yet to see it. I'm buying it from an out of state guitar center. The only thing I know is the guy told me it has a Red (R) on the back? He thinks its initials but hes not sure. I don't even know if this thing is a Simul-Class.

I spoke with Mike Bendinelli He told me it might be a green stripe with a number that high. That really sucks for me because I want the IIC+ tone and response just like all the rest that buy a Mark amp looking for the Master Of Puppets, And Justice For All, Black album tone. I have looked for that tone going on 10 years now. This will be my first Boogie;)
With a number that high, it's likely a green if simul-class and a blue if 60/100. 8)

the red r means its got the reverb fix/mod.

Pearce117 said:

My Mark III Blue Stripe is #22590 built on 03/07/88

DSC00062.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00070.jpg

I have a Mark III blue stripe serial 251xx but i cant see the date.. will it be 90's?

BETRAYAL said:
I have a Mark III blue stripe serial 251xx but i cant see the date.. will it be 90's?

Yep, that would be a rather late Blue, overlapping with the Greens and possibly with the early Mark IV.
Is it a Simul-Class? 60/100?

MrMarkIII said:
BETRAYAL said:

Yep, that would be a rather late Blue, overlapping with the Greens and possibly with the early Mark IV.
Is it a Simul-Class? 60/100?

Yeah sure is and it has an EQ. I'm going have to take it apart and see if i can find the date anywhere :)

There should be a date written in Magic Marker on the bottom of the chassis. No need to remove the chassis from the cabinet.

My Red stripe MKIII is serial#21XXX and dated 10/87, DRG. When I became it's proud owner in 2000 it was in it's original EV loaded Black tolex 1X12 combo cab. Around 2003 I scored a Imbuya/wicker 1X12 cab for it. I recently contacted GTS about converting it to a head and he crafted me an awesome head shell covered in Red snake skin tolex. I'll post up some pictures when I figure out how to on this site.
Larry

Back