output and master volume settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surferdeac

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to play out yet with my new stiletto amp and therefore haven't had a chance to "really" open the thing up . This amp actually is user friendly with regards to getting good tones at lower volumes. Much more so than my carvin amp. That being said i was just curious to hear peoples opinions on setting output and master channel volume levels especially when you are using fx loop (G major processor) in the signal chain while the amp is being used at stage volume. Right now i think I have my rig set up good where i have adjusted my send level knob on back of ace to work with my various created effects of my g major with regards to achieving good unity gain peak levels for cleans and distortions. Is there an ideal setting for the stiletto's "output" volume knob to be set at when used in conjunction with a rackmount processor to get the best saturated tone possible from the amp.

Currently I have my g major set up with its input knob cranked and its output knob at Noon (Although I think that maybe the output knob of the ace actually bypasses my rackmount's output volume knob now).

I have her set up for studio application at my house, but was wondering if there seemed to be optimal settings for the output, masters, and fx loop send level output at stage volume

The way my processor interacts with this loop compared to the way it interacted with my carvins loop has sent me for a loop :lol:

surferdeac said:
(Although I think that maybe the output knob of the ace actually bypasses my rackmount's output volume knob now).
:
---------- No It doesn't actually my bad -------------

Yeah yeah I did my homework, "read the manual"

set my masters and gains first with loop bypassed to acquire the most headroom possible from the clean channel with the lease amount of breakup i could while matching up the distorted channel in terms of overall volume while trying to stay in their suggested settings for these two knobs

both diode settings
fat clean : master 2:00 gain 10:00
tight Gain : master 9:30 gain 1:30

with Amp's loop in send level at normal noonish and matchched Ace's output as suggested.

Before going ahead and engaging my effects loop I set all of my effect preset "DB levels" back to Zero.

With the LOOP in, I have the g major's input cranked and the output of G major set either pretty much all the way off (for home/studio use) and turn it up about almost to noon for a volume more suitable to playing closer to stage levels.

Everything sounds good. even with the input of G major cranked i am still staying within the safe/suggested ranges of my rackmounts imput peak meter. The clean channel is in the normal peak meter ranges of g major -3 -12 db range while the distorted channel stays in the -24 -16 db range.

One other observation. With my settings like this if i turn up my g major output knob past around noon my clean channel on my amp will start to make a weird "squealing" noise. :) ------ something/ tube being pushed to hard maybe??

Just felt like sharing some settings :)

By the way I love This amp, :twisted: :mrgreen:

----------No woman no cry just turn you amp up and let the Notes fly ahhahahaa-------------

good thread, im having issues with my set up which is the same as yours.im gonna try your settings to see if that helps. where is your output set ? thanx mike

my Stiletto's output is Set at 12:00 (NOON)
MY Gmajors output is set anywhere between 7:00 to Noon (set to 9:00 i achieved what i thought was a similar volume output to that of my amp settings before engaging the loop)
my g majors input knob is cranked

On my Ace head in the back it says to set the Amps send fx level in the back to match the Ace's output level in the front. so straight up noon straight up noon. by doing this with the the amp's output settings discussed above, i achieved what i believe was a volume and tone that was similar to that of my amp before engaging the loop.
of course you don't have to put it at noon. if you look closely at it you will see a norm min and max range to set the send level. Just try to match the "Send level" up with your Amps Output level.
the object here with the Ace's send level and output level is to bring the levels up to where you start to see your stiletto's clean channel setting reach a max on your g major's peak range to attain a good signal to your rackmount. if you read the g major manual it discusses where your peak meters should be at.
Good Luck man. These Stiletto's can take time to dial in, but they are extremely versatile. They just take time to learn about. I am still learning about this thing if you have any breakthroughghs please post results.
I love these amps. when dialed in they can really roar. like a tonefull LION! :mrgreen:

Hey fbomb
Just wondering, How do you like your bb preamp. I was considering acquiring a tube driver pedal to utilize in my clean channel (fat clean). the one thing i have been thinking about lately however is how the pedal would be affected tone wise that is if i were to have the loop engaged while at the same time using the pedal in front of the amp as well. BB's are real good pedals. Just wondering if you have had a chance yet to use the bb in you fat clean channel yet with the loop hard bypassed, or better yet have you tried it in your fat clean channel yet with your g major in the loop and noticed a difference in the overall tone produced compared to trying it with your loop to your g major hard bypassed??? :idea:

hey Surfer sorry it took so long to get back to you but as far as the BB PREAMP PEDAL ,i originally bought it to go along with dirty channel of the Stiletto and found i dont really need it at all, so i tried it with the clean channel and im on the fence with this . i guess you should try it for your self. sorry if i was no help to you. i just havent had the time to screw around with it latley

I've just started gigging with mine. While playing around with it in the studio, I definitely like the tones better with the effects loop turned off. However, I really want to use that Solo feature and run modulation effects in the loop, so it's not really an option. I get good tones with the loop on, but they are just better without it.

-Brad

Bradmeister said:
I definitely like the tones better with the effects loop turned off

This is a real important that i felt compelled to share with people out in mesa land about using your amps effect loop. MY biggest problem that I recently solved with regards to my effects loop was this

MY dirty channel always seemed to sound more brittle sounding than my clean channel (WITH THE LOOP ENGAGED).
when initially using my effects loop with my g major i did what Mesa recommended you do set you levels hard bypassed without effects engaged so that it would be easier to
unity gain levels between the two channels.

i said before to do as mesa suggests --- set the Amps send fx level in the back to match the Ace's output level in the front. so straight up noon straight up noon. by doing this with the the amp's output settings discussed above,

This is fine to do, but mesa suggests that you set your levels hard bypassed. What i assumed was wrong. and that was this ____
I assumed that i should set the levels of my amp between the clean and the dirty channel so that my clean channel and dirty channel were similar in Loudness so to speak.
what happened when I did this is that I ended up fidgeting the clean master knob around 2/3 oclockish while keeping gain on same channel around noonish. I was trying to get as much headroom out of the amp as possible while at the same time adjusting my dirty channel to similar levels in terms of how loud it was. my dirty channel's master was at a mere 9 oclockish or so. ya know it sounded good hard bypassed, but when I engaged my effects loop and adjusted my g major's input to get my led's up where they were suppose to be your dirty channels leds are way to cold/low. (your clean channel all things being equal will clip before your dirty channel)

IF YOUR LEDS ARE NOT UP TO WHERE THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO BE WITH YOUR EFFECTS LOOP ENGAGED YOUR '''''''TONE"""" WILL SUFFER BIG TIME ESPECIALLY IN YOUR DIRTY CHANNEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

when so many people complain about the aces being harsh and brittle i believe this has a lot to do with it.

So what i did was bring up my master on my dirty channel to about 2 oclockish (mind you my g majors input is now set at 50%).
When your amp is bypassed from your effects loop the difference in sound is extreme between the two channels, but if have your effects loop engaged and you go into the "levels all" feature (which mind you doesn't detract from how hot the signal is)on the g major and drop the preset output level of the given dirty channel 5-10 decibles you can get a hot signal to your g major at a lower volume that of which is closer to that of the clean channel. :)

it will also make your amp's effects loop with the dirty channel usable at stage Volumes without it sounding ear peircing 8)

Latest posts

Back