Is a Mark V worth AUD$10,000?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
enuenu said:
Can this be correct? AUD$10,000 is a lot of coin.

According to yahoo's currency converter that's 7686.3951 USD.

Thats F'ing highway robbery for ANY production amp. I don't care if it's
hand assembled by a team of perfect 10 Virgins and blessed by
the Almighty himself.

Unless you were buying some sort of vintage amp that was used by a
famous artist as a collectible (like fine art), you'd be out of your mind to pay that
kind of scratch.

if that conversion is right... no amp is worth that dime. i do know in Oz salaries are on average higher than in the US so maybe that plays into it but what wouldnt it be cheaper for someone here to buy it, and ship it to Oz even with whatever customs fees there are?

JohnDNJ said:
enuenu said:
Can this be correct? AUD$10,000 is a lot of coin.

According to yahoo's currency converter that's 7686.3951 USD.

Thats F'ing highway robbery for ANY production amp. I don't care if it's
hand assembled by a team of perfect 10 Virgins and blessed by
the Almighty himself.

Unless you were buying some sort of vintage amp that was used by a
famous artist as a collectible (like fine art), you'd be out of your mind to pay that
kind of scratch.

I think that's approx. what a Road King head costs here in Norway/Scandinavia. :D

Wow....

And you guys cant just import them on your own? I bought my JPM 90th from OZ land,
the guitar was 2600 and between shipping\customs it only ran me another 250 bucks.

**** for that money you could have someone buy it for you then fly them over on your dime and you'd still be making out lol.

If you access that page, scroll down a little, just after the price conversions and before the overview. It reads:

"ACTUAL PRICE TO BE RELEASED IN JUNE/ JULY 2009."

It doesn't make sense that it would be $10,000.

chris.

i heard that the head and a stiletto cab was about $7300~
and the first shipments expected to be late june/early july for Australians :(

I am getting the MarkV head with stiletto 4x12 cab and DiMarzio pickups installed in my axe for $7000AUS from Billy Hyde music in Adelaide, South Australia.

On my receipt the MKV head is $5000AUS and the Cab is $1999AUS

These guys are dreaming.

considering the Mark V is around $2800.00 AUD if purchased in the U.S. before shipping, tax, and duty charges, If I were down in Oz I would just buy from a U.S. dealer or have someone ship it for me and use a step down if needed. Even at $6000.00 AUD, the difference is totally ridiculous, and should never be that much cash. I would think the standard of living isn't *that much* higher than here.

caf said:
NO! i saw this two weeks ago and emailed pro audio to ask what the rrp was going to be and they told me approximately au$6000.
Pro Audio are reliable I believe (that's where my amp came from originally) so $10,000 is a dream it seems. All Mesa gear is pricey here. The Billy Hyde deal in South Oz sounds good for Oz.

A little (non electronic engineer) voice tells me (and I have read) that step down transformers can introduce technical issues. I looked seriously into importing from USA and using a step down. I even looked at buying used on eBay in USA and having it shipped to me via Voodoo Amps in New York to have a quality 240V transformer installed. 10% duty is payable when importing to Oz. In the end I stumbled onto a used DR rig with the genuine export Mesa 240V transformer so I went for it and saved a lot of worry.

My DR sounds very good. Does dark power chords extremely well (the best?). However can be a little bit muddy with chords occasionally. Does what it is designed for extremely ace. Maybe complement it with another head one day. Thinking of a Marshall for less "darkness/mud". Maybe a Mark V would fit the bill. Very impressed with Mesa's reputation (and my experience) of reliability and build quality.

Vs are gonna go for 5500 to 6500... I've bought one for 5500, no i dont have it yet. my thing is i dont trust something like this on a plane unless its coming from the factory on their terms... and if you import something like this in, you can kiss any warranty bye bye and hello to customs...

shred_nadin said:
Vs are gonna go for 5500 to 6500... I've bought one for 5500, no i dont have it yet. my thing is i dont trust something like this on a plane unless its coming from the factory on their terms... and if you import something like this in, you can kiss any warranty bye bye and hello to customs...

The dude at Billy Hyde said that Pro Audio are only bringing in 5 in the fist batch. I am getting one of those and if you are, then there are 3 more up for grabs. Who else is getting one in Oz? I'd like to know how much they are paying, especially from a retailer (not Pro Audio)

caf said:
A little (non electronic engineer) voice tells me (and I have read) that step down transformers can introduce technical issues.
What technical issues may they be then? I currently have 2 amps and 1 i sold that have all run on my stepdown and I have never experienced any issues over the last 3 years. You have to get one to supply the correct wattage for the amp. 500w will do the trick and you want a reliable brand from Jaycar or Dick Smith rather than a cheap Chinese knockoff from ebay. Else get the conversion to 240v done for $400.

And to answer the original posters question: F**K NO!!!! :D :D :D

Latest posts

Back