DC-5 Metal Settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't played Metal in about 10 years.
Some friends and I just started a Metal band a few weeks ago.
I bought a Rectoverb thinking that I could make that work, but I hated the clean channel.

Anyway, I'm back to my trusty DC-5. :D
I've never really tried to get a good Metal tone out of it.
I'm sure I could figure it out if I tried hard enough, but just don't seem to find the time.

Here's what I'm using. Any suggestions?
DC-5 combo
Rectoverb combo cab w/EV12L on the bass players side
G-System
Carvin DC747 w/stock pups (for now)
McCarty w/Duncan Alnico II pups

Yeah, that's what I figured.
I don't actually like the lows and highs pushed up to the top though. Seems to be shrill and muddy at the same time.

Here are the settings that I've been using for years:
Gain: 7-9
Treble: 5-7
Mids: 5-7
Bass: 8
Pres: 2-5
Reverb: 0
Master: 3
Output: 3-5

No EQ, I've mainly used it for a solo boost up until now. I just bought a G-System that has a Solo Boost though, so I'll most likely start using it again.

First thing I would do if you start using the GEQ is turn the bass way down. If you crank the 80hz slider you can keep the bass really tight by using the bass knob in the 1-3 range. Everything else looks about like what I use on my DC-3. I don't crank the high end of the 'V' either - it does tend to get a little shrill if you aren't careful. An OD in front may be a good idea for Metal tones too.

I have used my DC-5 in metal bands for 6 years. GEQ in a V adjust to tase. settings are
Gain 8.5
Treb 9
Mid 10
Bass 1.5
Pres 4-5
master 3
output 2.5

these settings rock for me through my 4x12 recto cab and my DC-5 seems very bass heavy compared to some other DC-5 i have seen/played but this is a good starting point.

Go to www.myspace.com/mortalaggressionmusic to here my tone from 2004 using my DC-5. These are live recordings, you can hear what it sounded like live but my singer was messed up bad on drugs and sounds terrible, overall it wasnt a good show but you get the point, my setting at that time are a bit different than now but i can post since i keep a setting log for my old settings.

This is so funny - I just sold a G-System a while ago. Just so you know the boost function doesn't really boost. It releases attenuation. Do you hear any tone-sucking with that piece? That may be why. Don't use the boost and set the level to zero.

Here's 2 tricks I used with My DC-5 to get a "metal sound" metal... metal... metal... Are you ready for this?????

The first trick - I used the clean channel. What??!! You may ask - I set the gain around 6, pulled the fat switch and used a pedal. The ZVex Box of Metal. Very nice but not as organic as my second method - so I sold it.

The second, and more conventional, method - use the V in the graphic eq, set the gain around 8, Mids about 4-5, Treble about 8, Bass about 6-7, presence around 6 maybe. I use a Banzai New Rising Sun triple boost pedal to push the front end. The cleans really come alive and the lead channel, IMO, takes on a much more defined character.

Aren't you glad I'm keeping the amp Andy!! Enjoy the 7 string! Thanks for turning me on to this forum. :mrgreen:

Thanks for turning me on to this forum.

The guys here are some of the coolest I've met! No politics, just guitars & amps! Now if there were naked chicks....... :lol:

I'll try the boost in the Clean channel, but I love my cleans since I modded it!
I did find a very good Metal setting using the G-System's EQ, which I assigned to one of the Loop switches.
I didn't like the Amp's tone with onboard EQ in a 'V.' I even removed the G-System and tried it.
There is some tone sucking going on, so I'll bypass the Boost and use that button for one of the Loops, which will have an OD or my Maxon Compressor in it instead.

I think that the G-System has tons of possibilities. I guess it helps to have a degree in Computer Engineering though! If I can program a Smart Home, the G won't put up much of a fight! :lol:

Ive been wanting to get some sort of boost pedal to get a bit more gain from my amp. I would rather not spend a whole lot on it but I'm open to suggestions.

I really liked the Fulltone Fat Boost.
But, my Maxon CP-101 seems to do the trick a bit better.

I've tried all of the TS pedals, Crunch Box, Full Drive, etc. and didn't like any of them as much as the CP-101 because they all changed my tone somewhat.

Let me put my pedalboard back together and I'll show you what I use. My camera broke and I need to get a new one - or borrow my friend's. I have a Maxon comp too - which IMO is much better than the comp in the G System, etc., etc., etc. The Banzai is transparent and has a buffer and 2 boosts (hence the name). Now off to meet the wife and kids...

Naked chicks? That would give the title of this forum a whole new meaning now, wouldn't i! :mrgreen:

Andy,

Do you have a BB preamp? I really like how it sounds with both the clean and OD channels on the DC-10 you sold me. Give one a shot and see what you think. +1 on the VEQ suggestions that Adam and the other guys have given. CRank it loud and +100 for the naked girls :wink: .

Matt

mdortona said:
Andy,

Do you have a BB preamp? I really like how it sounds with both the clean and OD channels on the DC-10 you sold me. Give one a shot and see what you think. +1 on the VEQ suggestions that Adam and the other guys have given. CRank it loud and +100 for the naked girls :wink: .

Matt

I was just thinking today about how a BB preamp might sound with a DC... hmmm... make us some clips, Matt? :D

I'll see if I can get some clips up tomorrow evening. I'm on Daddy duty with my two demon seeds until tomorrow evening when my wife gets back from her conference. :lol:

Matt

Back