Pic: Hetfield's current rig

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elpelotero said:
ouch...I didn't know Kirk was on the same level as a guitar center 10 yr old...I hope you're not being serious.

Dude....don't get me wrong because my sentence is an euphemism...he's surely not on the same level as a 10 years old but, be honest...his actual technique and his ideas are not so good as before! Moreover he was Satriani's student.... 8)

kiff said:
up to and including MOP's, I think Kirk's soloing was some good stuff. If nothing else he was fast, clean and pretty creative. I even like his lead tone's on that stuff. These days it seems to me that he's just playing for the sake of playing. I really don't think he really puts much love, sweat or tears into his work anymore... he always seems to fall back on the pentatonic blues riffs that don't really even fit the songs too well. I'm not really sure what motivates metallica these days as a band, but they definitely don't have their old hunger driven intesity, to say the least...

Exactly! You have my same ideas about him and his soloing....thanks! :wink:

right now, at least to me, Metallica sounds like some band covering Metallica...
A couple of fast, heavier syncopated rhythms dont equate to the intensity they once had.

And the whole, "hey lets spend millions of dollars to have the album sound like a garage band demo" thing is not working for them. Does Hetfield even care about his vocals (mix, sound, key) anymore?

To each his own I guess. I'm not here to argue Metallica tones. People can do that on their fanboy forum with the 10yr olds.

I did not call you, nor imply, that you are 10 yr's old. You're right about everything you said. I was not looking at your previous posts, so I apologize for overlooking your earlier statements about opinions. What I meant to say was we have agreed to disagree. I think they have good tone and still play well, and others have expressed in the thread they do not. However, on their fanboy forums full of kids, they cannot accept this criticism. You obviously are not a fanboy.

No problem Elpelotero , if we had the same opinions, forums couldn't exist . Different opinions give us the opportunity to compare our
points of view. :)

guitarmaster said:
+1. Right..............Gli Italiani hanno buone orecchie.........The Italians have good ears!!!!!!!! :D

Grazie mille....but...it happens sometimes, believe in me! :wink:
Thanks for your opinion, I appreciate!

settecorde76 said:
guitarmaster said:
+1. Right..............Gli Italiani hanno buone orecchie.........The Italians have good ears!!!!!!!! :D

Grazie mille....but...it happens sometimes, believe in me! :wink:
Thanks for your opinion, I appreciate!
well... I think there is a too little passion for good music in Italy. Everyone's got different tastes in music, but objectively many Italians kept listening to some real **** in these last years :? :( :?

guitarmaster said:
this child is 11 years old and plays better than some " professional guitarists" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8EJ-4RHjs0&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI5WoidJD64&fmt=18

Yes, I know this kid...I have an old video that shows him playing the first track of Racer X's "Street lethal". He's surely a great Gilbert fan and he plays guitar very fast; but, in my opinion, a guitarist's goal is to achieve a serious vibrato and feel, then playing fast...but, you know...he's only a 11 years old, so he can improve his feel over the years... :)

ytse_jam said:
well... I think there is a too little passion for good music in Italy. Everyone's got different tastes in music, but objectively many Italians kept listening to some real sh!t in these last years :? :( :?

I agree...now in Italy we prefer to make business with stupid songs then investing in good music and good musicians...if you're commercial then you have a chance to emerge and this is a sad thing... :|

audiofreud said:
Who wants to bet he doesn't know how to operate his own rig?

They don't even tune their own guitars, so I can guarantee you he doesn't know the first thing about operating that rig properly.

MesaGod666 said:
audiofreud said:
Who wants to bet he doesn't know how to operate his own rig?

They don't even tune their own guitars, so I can guarantee you he doesn't know the first thing about operating that rig properly.

If I had someone to do it for me, I would never tune my guitar again. However, I would still know how to run everything about my rig. I don't think he's as dumb as what you give him credit for.

Hangar18 said:
If I had someone to do it for me, I would never tune my guitar again. However, I would still know how to run everything about my rig. I don't think he's as dumb as what you give him credit for.

I never said he was dumb...I just think he might be screwed without his guitar tech.

MesaGod666 said:
I never said he was dumb...I just think he might be screwed without his guitar tech.

On a tour maybe... in the stupid not a chance in hell. Those guys are gear junkies. They may not know how to wire up their refrigerator sized touring rigs (which is why you hire someone so its done right), but they know their stuff.

Also guitarmaster, who's to say a pro can't use a behringer or line 6 gear? The whole boutique, high end, analog pedal is better than anything digital or mass produced out of china arguement is so stupid and juvenile. Take a player like Dave Navarro... the guy has awesome tone and achieves it with stock Boss pedals into a JCM900 set clean. No special boutique amp, no special boutique analog pedals, just a guy who knows how to use his gear to get a good tone.

As for Metallica, those guys have been tearing it up for 25+ years now and have crafted some of the best heavy guitar tones in their tenure (Master of Puppets, Black Album, the Load sessions)... they must be doing something right tonewise to garner that type of respect out of the musician/guitarist communities.

settecorde76 said:
In these days I'm listening to Killswitch Engage's "As Daylight Dies"....their sound is very hard and perfect (in my opinion) and I like it very much....I think it's the real modern metal sound! :D
And they use Framus, not Mesa...so, you can get a great sound with different amp and rigs because your sound lies deep in your mind! :wink:

Agree on the Killswitch tones but those Framus amps were really only featured on some of The End of Heartache and some of the touring for that album. Most KSE guitar tones came from a Triple Recto and a Stiletto on The End of Heartache and a Roadster/triple Recto/Stiletto on Daylight Dies. On Alive or Just Breathing it was a Triple Recto and a 5150II. Of course there will be different amps thrown here and there for certain parts (like the Framus) but for the most part the staple of their sound is the Recto (at least the last 3 albums).

On a tour maybe... in the stupid not a chance in hell. Those guys are gear junkies. They may not know how to wire up their refrigerator sized touring rigs (which is why you hire someone so its done right), but they know their stuff.

Also guitarmaster, who's to say a pro can't use a behringer or line 6 gear? The whole boutique, high end, analog pedal is better than anything digital or mass produced out of china arguement is so stupid and juvenile. Take a player like Dave Navarro... the guy has awesome tone and achieves it with stock Boss pedals into a JCM900 set clean. No special boutique amp, no special boutique analog pedals, just a guy who knows how to use his gear to get a good tone.

As for Metallica, those guys have been tearing it up for 25+ years now and have crafted some of the best heavy guitar tones in their tenure (Master of Puppets, Black Album, the Load sessions)... they must be doing something right tonewise to garner that type of respect out of the musician/guitarist communities.
+1 These guys sit and fiddle for weeks in the studio with the kind of equipment you and I dream of playing through and personally sculpt their sound. Plus they also know the recording and mixing gear like the back of their hand too. If you read some of the interviews these guys do in magazines and stuff, you get a feel as to how brilliant they actually are at setting their tone. Always remember, tone is in the ear of the beholder.

Back