LSS Solo function doesn't work?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you were right Plan-x. I did the paperclip test and I can hear both relays with the channel one being louder. The switch I'm trying to use is like this one:http://cgi.ebay.com/UNUSED-CRATE-3-BUTTON-FOOT-SWITCH-FOR-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ330304964051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Amp_Accessories?hash=item330304964051&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

It is a three button switch with one going to button "3" via a mono plug and buttons "1" & "2" going to the white stereo plug. I've ohmed this out and its basically opening and closing the connection via the switches. The grounds are tied to the long portion of the plug and buttons "1" & "2" to the tip and sleeve. This seems to follow the PCB artwork in your picture. I know switch "3" works because it switches the channels from previous test.

But when I try to use it with the front panel F/S jack it doesn't work. Bear in mind I tested the stereo cable with the paper clip (it trips relays). I've plugged the same stereo cable into this switch and verified continuity with making and breaking the circuit by hitting the switch. So in theory this should work. It's actually a nice alternative because it has the built in third switch to control the reverb. I'm totally baffled now since I was expecting the relays not to sound. Any suggestions before I loose my mind?

Yeah, I agree, in therory it should work and that would be a sweet set up. Not all pedals work from amp to amp. Manufacturers see to that. Do you have continuity/non, on that crate for tip=1st switch and ring=2nd switch? That is the way the mesa is set up. Maybe you should crack it open and take a look, just for the hell of it.

Now the mono should of worked in the rear solo like mine did. But it didn't. I'm thinking, that the relay works, so were back to a possible bad v3. Just because it glows, doesn't mean it functions properly. Basically they use both their A/B side for their function. You can flick it with your finger (amp on) and watch/hear for any unusual activity. The definitive test is the swap with a known good tube. If you have a working reverb, then that is a known working tube. Wiggle them out,(amp off) swap em, and see if you reverb still works properly and do the solo test again.

plan-x said:
Yeah, I agree, in therory it should work and that would be a sweet set up. Not all pedals work from amp to amp. Manufacturers see to that. Do you have continuity/non, on that crate for tip=1st switch and ring=2nd switch? That is the way the mesa is set up. Maybe you should crack it open and take a look, just for the hell of it.

Now the mono should of worked in the rear solo like mine did. But it didn't. I'm thinking, that the relay works, so were back to a possible bad v3. Just because it glows, doesn't mean it functions properly. Basically they use both their A/B side for their function. You can flick it with your finger (amp on) and watch/hear for any unusual activity. The definitive test is the swap with a known good tube. If you have a working reverb, then that is a known working tube. Wiggle them out,(amp off) swap em, and see if you reverb still works properly and do the solo test again.

Did just that and I checked the continuity right at the switch bodies and at the end of the stereo plug with the stereo cable plugged into the switch jack, Both ways make and break continuity. One switch is tied to tip and the other to sleeve into a stereo jack receptacle. The third switch in mono and it works at the switch jack in the rear. What's throwing me for a loop is the paper clip test. The same stereo cable plugged into the front panel F/S jack will trip both relays by making and breaking contact. Yet when I plug the stereo cable into the front panel with the Crate footswitch box it doesn't work. When I do this it turns the green light off. It makes no sense! This is done with the toggle in the center.

Haven't tempted screwing with tubes yet. I'd just like to get the switch to work.

Latest posts

Back