The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:01 am 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:50 am
Posts: 51
I just recently purchased a used LSS. I've read through the online manual and scoped out this board, but can't seem to figure this out. It did not come with a foot switch so I used a standard 1 button latched type foot switch from another amp. I connected it to the rear channel plug and I can get that to work. When I connect it to the solo plug and enable the loop there doesn't seem to be any change in volume. In this mode I can adjust the level on the front panel output (last control stage after the master) but the solo pot doesn't seem to do anything. I'm playing a moderately low volume so does this make a difference? Does there suppose to be a significant volume change? I'm pretty much a newbie to MESAs and tube amps in general, so any help would be appreciated. I've ohmed out the cable and the switch (plus it works in the channel function so I know its good) What should I check? Could this V3 tube I've read about be dead or something?

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:48 am 
Offline
Bottle Rocket

Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:24 pm
Posts: 19
Hi Rockin_Ron,
I'll try and help. From my understanding, the 1/4" jack on the back/bottom of the LSS is for switching on and off the reverb. The front foot pedal jack is a TRS (tip-ring-sleeve [or stereo]) jack. The Lonestar foot pedal has a channel switcher and a solo activator button on it. I'm not sure if the solo button is wired to the tip or the ring. You might be switching just the channel if you plug a tip-sleeve [mono] 1/4" plug into the foot switch jack. If you see the green channel light going on and off when you trip your foot switch, your switch is not going to turn on and off the solo.

Sounds like you will need a two button foot pedal with a TRS output AND a stereo cable to go to your amp. Or... if you are good with soldiering, you could create your own custom cable with two foot switches.

Hope this helps a bit...

_________________
Lonestar Special Head
Mesa 1x12 wide open back cab
Bad Cat Cub II head
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 10 top


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:50 pm 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:25 am
Posts: 91
Location: Leicester, England.
prspastor, the LSS has indeed a TRS footswitch plug on the front for a dual footswitch. It does however have sepeate footswitch jacks for the solo and channel change options.

Ron, have you activated the 'loop in' switch on the rear panel. I do believe you have to do this, and turn the loop level control up in order for the solo switch to work, yes even if you have nothing connected to the send return loop. The solo function is great, very noticeable, espescially at low levels.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:26 pm 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:50 am
Posts: 51
Thanks for your responses guys. I did have the loop in activated with the pot at 12 o'clock per the manual. Under these conditions I'm not hearing any volume boost. I was trying it from the rear jack because the manual said it should also work from there with a standard mono plug. Just trying to "poor boy" with the single switches for now. So according to the manual that should work. Wonder if I have other problems? Is it possible to screw something up inside if one put a mono plug in the stereo required input on the front panel? Anybody know how this tip-to sleeve to ring is wired to make both the channel and solo work? I've got a CRATE footswitch that has three separate latched switches (two tied to a stereo jack) and (one tied to a mono jack) that should work .... but doesn't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:08 pm 
Offline
Bottle Rocket

Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:24 pm
Posts: 19
thom wrote:
prspastor, the LSS has indeed a TRS footswitch plug on the front for a dual footswitch. It does however have sepeate footswitch jacks for the solo and channel change options.

Ron, have you activated the 'loop in' switch on the rear panel. I do believe you have to do this, and turn the loop level control up in order for the solo switch to work, yes even if you have nothing connected to the send return loop. The solo function is great, very noticeable, espescially at low levels.



My bad, I forgot about those jacks in the back.

To my understanding, I wouldn't think that putting a mono plug in a stereo jack would hurt anything at all. You would just ground out the ring. Now, I wouldn't have anything plugged into the front at the same time as you having something plugged in the back. Plugging into one might disable the other...

Sounds like something else is going on... :(

_________________
Lonestar Special Head
Mesa 1x12 wide open back cab
Bad Cat Cub II head
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 10 top


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:03 pm 
Offline
Mark III

Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:50 pm
Posts: 252
Location: Gulf Coast FLORIDA
You need to order a footswitch from Mesa and it would most likely solve the problem instead of all the time your spending trying to rig something, they are not that expensive especially after spending the money on a high dollar amp. Sometimes you just can't be cheap!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:03 pm 
Offline
Single Recto
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:20 pm
Posts: 1096
Location: CA, Mojave desert
Although I have a LSC, this is what the manuel says about those jacks.

These two 1/4” jacks provide an interface for remote control of the Channel Select
function as well as activation of the SOLO control. These jacks may be connected to an external control unit that stores a grounding
logic switch function under a midi program number, thereby removing the need to use the included LONE STAR Footswitch in larger stage rigs.
The EXTERNAL SWITCH jacks respond to any tip-to-ground latching type logic for their triggering. This type of switching logic can be found on most midi master control switching units on the market.


What the hell does that mean? :shock:

_________________
Recto-Verb 25 head
Lonestar Classic (LSC) 2x12
.
Plan-x
https://myspace.com/wichmanbrewster/music/songs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:38 pm 
Offline
Mark IV
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:45 pm
Posts: 600
plan-x wrote:
Although I have a LSC, this is what the manuel says about those jacks.

These two 1/4” jacks provide an interface for remote control of the Channel Select
function as well as activation of the SOLO control. These jacks may be connected to an external control unit that stores a grounding
logic switch function under a midi program number, thereby removing the need to use the included LONE STAR Footswitch in larger stage rigs.
The EXTERNAL SWITCH jacks respond to any tip-to-ground latching type logic for their triggering. This type of switching logic can be found on most midi master control switching units on the market.


What the hell does that mean? :shock:


It means that you can use a midi controlled switching unit, such as the Voodoo Lab GCX or the Axess Electronics CFX4, and use them in conjunction with these jacks. It's very simple; one cable from the unit switches one function. This is done by "closing" or "opening" the jack itself, in the sense that the device shorts the tip to the sleeve of the jack (closed), or going the other way; open. This corresponds to On/Off switching of functions like solo, or 1/2 switching of channels. Think of them as separate on/off cables for separate functions. It's basically just an analog switching solution for amps that don't incorporate any digital switching such as MIDI, and is brilliant for larger rigs where everything can be programmed and controlled with a single MIDI controller. Thus, one would be able to switch multiple channels, functions on and off on multiple amps, and even further combine that with effect processors and so forth, with only a single press on a button.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:14 pm 
Offline
Donating Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 3:39 am
Posts: 2505
Location: Birmingham, AL
"latching type logic" = when the switch is closed, false (off), when the switch is open, true (on)

As opposed to a digital system where a momentary signal is used and a relay is turned on to close the circuit, I suppose.

_________________
“A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." Lao Tzu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:57 am 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:50 am
Posts: 51
I still don't understand this footswitch connection and can't get it to work. When I review the schematics for the footswitch at schematic heaven it shows MESA drawings which show a standard 1/4 stereo plug wiring with the long part of the plug being ground. Yet in the Lonestar manual they keep calling it "tip to ground" Does that mean literally the tip should be ground. If so than their own schematics are wrong. Could someone take a picture of the inside of their footswitch showing the wiring? That would be most appreciated. Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:36 pm 
Offline
Mark IV
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:45 pm
Posts: 600
Rockin_Ron wrote:
I still don't understand this footswitch connection and can't get it to work. When I review the schematics for the footswitch at schematic heaven it shows MESA drawings which show a standard 1/4 stereo plug wiring with the long part of the plug being ground. Yet in the Lonestar manual they keep calling it "tip to ground" Does that mean literally the tip should be ground. If so than their own schematics are wrong. Could someone take a picture of the inside of their footswitch showing the wiring? That would be most appreciated. Thanks!


Regarding the "tip-to-ground"-logic, read my post above, and it should explain that, hopefully.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:21 pm 
Offline
Single Recto
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:20 pm
Posts: 1096
Location: CA, Mojave desert
Here's a gut shot. (LSC footswitch)

Image

_________________
Recto-Verb 25 head
Lonestar Classic (LSC) 2x12
.
Plan-x
https://myspace.com/wichmanbrewster/music/songs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:32 pm 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:50 am
Posts: 51
plan-x wrote:
Here's a gut shot. (LSC footswitch)


Thanks for the help plan-x. Appears like its what I expected. Tip & sleeve are (+) or "functions" while the long barrel of the plug is (-) or ground. I assume the topside of the board is just the switches, jack, and LEDs soldered to the board. I measured the voltages by inserting a stereo cord into the F/S jack in the front. I got 12 V off the sleeve and 11.37 V off the tip. I'm wondering now if something is hosed on the inside?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:00 pm 
Offline
Single Recto
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:20 pm
Posts: 1096
Location: CA, Mojave desert
Rockin_Ron wrote:
I measured the voltages by inserting a stereo cord into the F/S jack in the front. I got 12 V off the sleeve and 11.37 V off the tip.

Getting the same on mine. How about the rear.

_________________
Recto-Verb 25 head
Lonestar Classic (LSC) 2x12
.
Plan-x
https://myspace.com/wichmanbrewster/music/songs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:15 pm 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:50 am
Posts: 51
plan-x wrote:
Rockin_Ron wrote:
I measured the voltages by inserting a stereo cord into the F/S jack in the front. I got 12 V off the sleeve and 11.37 V off the tip.

Getting the same on mine. How about the rear.


Hey thanks plan-x appreciate you confirming measurements. I just took these. I took the stereo plug out of the front and then plugged a mono plug into the rear jacks.

Chan = 1.42 - 1.43 V
Solo = 12.04 V

Could that be the problem? I thought the rear jacks are separate from the front F/S input. If you're getting the same at the front then I'm really baffled :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group