50+ problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby Marshall

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy just picked up a 50+ and found out it is not operating properly.

After 30 min or so the volume just completely cuts out. It comes back if he puts on standby for a second and back on or just turns off and on it comes back.

Anyone know what causes this?

Thanks,

Bobby

Sounds a bit like the problem I had with my Stiletto....
A filter Capacitor in the power supply was the cause. But that may cause just a partial drop in volume.
Also a preamp tube can do this. The power tubes aren't likely the cause; both (or all 4 if el84's) cutting out at the same exact time is very, very unlikely. Also the PI (driver to the power tubes, usually farthest from the input jack) would have to have both sides fail at the same time.
This assumes it cuts out completely as opposed to a drop in volume, if I understand your description accurately.
Start with v1 and swap tubes 1 at a time. Wait long enough after each swap, to be sure the problem shows up

If it's intermittent, it can be a pain, but try to eliminate a tube problem before taking to a tech. This will save you (or your friend in this case) time and money in the long run.

Good luck :D

well, ive had the same problem on my cal50+. In service theyve done everything and it was for nothing. On the 3rd service control we've found, that the opto-isolator, which serves to switching channels, was damaged, so in the end, the problem was just one diod, but before it they've totaly changed every connection,so ive handwired Cal50+ :D

Try replacing the fuse and see if that helps, they're in exoensive and easy to change. I had a similar problem with one of my amps and that corrected it.

Did you ever solve your 50 Cal+ cutting out problem? My friend is going through the same thing now. ANy tips woul dbe appreciated.

Don't know if you've tried this yet, but put a good patch cable in your FX Loop.

Doesn't matter if you've been using it or not, try it.

Just plug it in between the Send and Return. Might not fix the problem, but if it does, at least you know what to replace.

Sometimes the jacks just crap out.

Back