Help verifying which version Mark-IV head I have

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phrygiandom

Reaction score
Hello,

Today I won a 1990 Mark-IV head off Ebay. After winning, I got more pictures from the seller and went about trying to determine which version it was. I noticed a couple of things that didn't make sense.

First, here are two pics:

Front

Back

1. On the front, there is a blue LED on the far right and the two rockers near the 5-band EQ. Is this correct?

2. On the back, there is a ground lift toggle on towards the left side. Is this correct?

I wanted to make sure that there weren't any mods done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

I did some more intensive searching on the net; I think it's an "A" based on some pics I found.

You can click the "front" and "back" to link to the pics. I never know how big they're gonna explode if I insert them, so I just linked to them.

Dave

Dave

Ooop's my bad! Didn't notice the link's.

And yes you are correct its a "A"

And looks in fantastic shape!! Good luck with it and welcome to the board.

John

absolutely an A, as you can see on the two mono FX loops in square form, rather than the stereo loop with triangle shape on a B

They seem to be more and more difficult to find for sale these days, I had to finally jump on one.

I understand that it's an 18 year old amp and that it won't be absolutely pristine on the inside, but should I be concerned about corrosion/rust? Here's what I'm talking about:

Power tubes

Seller told me that the amp/footswitch work 100% and that it'd been recently serviced so there aren't any worries there; I'm just talking about future "preservation". Any thoughts?

Dave

Definitely an "A" just from the date. I'm surprised no one mentioned the meaning of the two rocker switches on the front panel but, you have a wide body head. Hope you didn't have plans for a rack mount. Other than that it means you can get to those two switches easier. I have an early nineties "A" combo that I bought on Ebay and have had no problems with it other than FedEx inflicted injuries! LOL. If you have the time/patience I would advise getting a road case sent to the seller and have him ship it in that.

good luck and enjoy it!

phrygiandom said:
They seem to be more and more difficult to find for sale these days, I had to finally jump on one.

I understand that it's an 18 year old amp and that it won't be absolutely pristine on the inside, but should I be concerned about corrosion/rust? Here's what I'm talking about:

Power tubes

Seller told me that the amp/footswitch work 100% and that it'd been recently serviced so there aren't any worries there; I'm just talking about future "preservation". Any thoughts?

Dave

Those power tubes are in the wrong positions !! :shock: Even if they are the same colour codes, you should really have the STR430's and STR440's operating as pairs. The two centre tubes operate as a pair and the two outer tubes operate as a pair. Swap them over asap !!!!

ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
Those power tubes are in the wrong positions !! :shock: Even if they are the same colour codes, you should really have the STR430's and STR440's operating as pairs. The two centre tubes operate as a pair and the two outer tubes operate as a pair. Swap them over asap !!!!
Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light. :lol:

Those pics were taken just prior to him packing it up for shipment. He had it checked by someone and they installed new 440's...probably not knowing the pairing pattern.

I noticed the incorrect pairing too, and swapped them out as soon as the amp arrived.

This amp sounds GREAT!!

Dave

This amp sounds GREAT!!

That's my short-n-sweet test for whether it's a decent example :) none of this techno-stuff! As far as rust goes - obviously it's not desirable, but I've seen 10+ year old IVs and plenty of I - III Mark-series which aren't exactly in perfect physical condition go out to battle every night with no problems.

Actually, it looked quite clean when it arrived. Gonna try to get "GTS" to give it the 'once-over'...new tolex and cane grill.

I can't imagine myself EVER getting rid of it.

Back