Lonestar Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeebo

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the board so this is my first post! I think I'm gonna ditch my old Laney VH100R soon for a Lonestar. I just can't get over how great the clean and lead tones are on this amp! Laney was great but a bit too much treble even when turned down. I've got a couple of questions about the amp before I plunge into a purchase, here they go:

I'm currently playing through an Orange 4x12 Straight cab loaded with V30s, will the Lonestar respond well to this setup?

My other question is more of a tonal question. I'm going to mainly be playing Country, Jazz, and Blues with this amp. I've got my other heads for rock and metal tone but I was curious if this amp is capable of pulling off a good 70s Heavy Metal/Stoner Rock (similar to King Hobo, Spiritual Beggars, Kamchatka, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple) with the drive channel or a distortion/OD pedal or is this amp not well suited for this type of music?

Any insight would be much appreciated, cheers!

The Lonestar classic(LSC) 100w 6L6 should sound great thru a 4x12 w/ V-30's. I use a 2x12 ext cab with my combo with V-30's with good results. As for the classic heavy metal, I have been using pedals, with great success. The LSC is known around here for being pedal friendly. The 2nd ch has it's own unique flavor and definitely can handle crunch and then some. But doesn't go to "11", say like for 80's, and especially the 90's and beyond. Ya know, the hair bands. It will enter in, but doesn't go into heavy saturation stuff. Overall, with a couple of good pedals, you can cover anything with this amp. Especially with a 4x12.

Thanks for the help plan-x! I'm definitely not trying for high gain stuff, I've got other amps for that department. The old 70s dirty heavy metal sound is derived mostly from amps similar to an old 1972 Marshall JPM. If the amp handles pedals well I'm sure I'd be able to dial something in. Hope to be picking up a lonestar head soon!

The LSC can take EL-34's which can get a closer version of a marshall classic tone. Not a marshall of course, but does get a more of a midrangy purr and grind than the 6L6's. Also there are threads on this forum of guys that have tried 6V6's, EL-84's w/ yellowjackets, and even some KT-77's. I have stuck with the 6L6's cuz I can always get a marshall/Vox (or whatever) in a box (pedal).

I am a big Ritchie Blackmore fan. I have an LSS. I am getting some really nice sounds at very low volumes, (not currently in a band :( ), using a Hartman germanium treble booster and a modified Boss OD-3. I use the distortion channel on the amp and the OD-3 gain is usually only on about a quarter. I have an eventide Time factor in the effects loop, which I only got yesterday. Got some great sounds jamming along to Deep Purples Made in Europe album.

Regards

tom

Like already mentioned, it doesn't do very high gain stuff, but, as also mentioned, it handles pedals really well. I've had great success with the Xotic BB Preamp and RC Booster.

I got my Stiletto Deuce II about 1.5 years ago and I'm seriously thinking of selling it and getting a Lone Star Classic. I had the Combo when they first came out but... I would get the head and use it with a closed back cab. Also I'd use my BB Preamp to attempt to capture the Marshall vide the Stiletto does. I'm thinking the Clean Lone Star plus the BB Preamp will be more versatile and Boutique than the Stiletto and BB.

The one thing I would hate to give up is the "on fire" tone the EL34 Stiletto Deuce gets. It's that recto fire with a British twist. That's what I'm afraid of giving up. But that deep/3 D Lone Star Classic sound is pretty luring.

You can do every thing with this amp. I needed a more modern sound so I sold it and got a Recto, and in some respects wish I still had it. I used a Radial Plexitube on the clean channel and was in high gain heaven.
I didn't dig the dirty channel as much because it had to be "Big stage" loud to get the goods. One of the Mesa sales reps I talked to said it was more like a Mark 1 with a Tube Screamer, going for more of a vintage vibe and players that use gain to enhance their tone than dominate. Andy Timmons gives a great demo of the amp @ Mesa Boogie Video Gallery.

Back