MARK III SERIAL NUMBERS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gts said:
solinator said:
That's a great-looking amp. See how your blue stripe is unquestionably blue? Mine is the "teal" blue ahaha. Some here are saying it's not teal, it's green stripe. :)

What's your opinion?
Solinator:
Go look at the pics posted by Koprofag on Page 2 of this thread and the responses.
Also see last last posts on Page 3 of this thread - same pics with further clarification.

Take your chasis out and compare it to the pics.
Since you have a Simul-Class amp you'll be able to tell (blue or green) by the tube socket wiring shown in the pics on that page of this thread.

I've always guessed a blue mark/ stripe made with a blue marker could fade to teal just as easily as green mark/ stripe could fade to teal.

Now go pull your chasis! :) ;-)

Based on the pictures showing pentode/triode wiring, serial number and reference pictures showing the green hues from other amps, I am convinced I have a green stripe.

But it's weird because the gentleman that sold me this amp sold it to me as a blue stripe. I think ALL stripes are unique and it doesn't matter what color the stripe is as long as the sound the owner is looking for is there. We all are different and will interpret the "perfect" sound differently. It's amazing that these amps can deliver all those "perfect" tones.

My opinion is that they all sound awesome and there is a place for each one of those iterations. I am actually watching some eBay sales right now to see if I can get a second Mark III. Money is a bit low because of Christmas, but in the near future I want to get a Mark IV for a rock band project I have in mind. :)

i just got mine. Black dot serial no. 153** it has the 105 tranny and passed the c+ effects loop test,If it means anything. But it sounds so **** good!!

i see you've got a ev classic re-issue in there. Any comments you care to make?

thnx,
j

Nomad said:
1988 Mark III Simul Reverb GEQ Blue Stripe Combo EV Loaded Baby.

No other Guitar Amp has ever been or ever will be as Excellent as the Mesa Boogie Mark III !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1988BoogieMarkIIIBlueStripe_1419.jpg

1988BoogieMarkIIIBlueBack.jpg

boogiemon said:
i see you've got a ev classic re-issue in there. Any comments you care to make?

thnx,
j

Nomad said:
1988 Mark III Simul Reverb GEQ Blue Stripe Combo EV Loaded Baby.

No other Guitar Amp has ever been or ever will be as Excellent as the Mesa Boogie Mark III !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1988BoogieMarkIIIBlueStripe_1419.jpg

1988BoogieMarkIIIBlueBack.jpg

i believe i have the same model as you, the seriel # is 24256. but mine has the wicker grille and the imbuya cab color. only mine has the black shadow speaker, how do the 2 speakers compare? the black shadowand yours?

My "blue" stripe MkIII dates 7/89 and s/n is 253XX, puts is squarely in the blue production time period and pre green, right? My stripe is NOT clearly blue, but light blue/blue-greenish. I'll pull the chassis to confirm triode mode tomorrow. If this is confirmed a blue stripe, this lend credence to the teal stripe being just a bad blue pen. Someone must have left the cap off!

One other thought, I've played outdoors quite a bit in the past. Could the stripe be simply faded due to solar or thermal impact?

This is the info I have been collecting from Ian's website, eBay auctions and this forum.
There are some overlaps and some freaky numbers (heads are sometimes out of their own stripe range).

I may have copied and typed some wrong numbers as well. So whoever has any better information, please pitch in so we can edit and update this list (Colis are not included).

- black stripe (3/85 to 1/86): 15001 to 16715
- purple stripe (1/86 to 12/86): 16657 to 19059
- red stripe (12/86 to 1/88): 18949 to 21863
- blue stripe (1/88 to 5/89): 21825 to 24933
- green stripe (5/89 to 9/98): 24898 to 28386

Blue Stripes in 60W and 100/60W power amps extend into green stripe territory. All Green Stripes were Simul-Class and fully loaded.

Thanks

Ok - I may have the last Blue stripe ever made. I have a 60W combo (2 Mesa STR420 Green tubes only) with the Celestion Black Shadow C90 speaker, Reverb, graphic EQ, non-simulclass. It has the serial number decal below the power cord - #28288!!! The guy I got it from was the original owner - he gave me all the literature and even the showroom hangtag. All price lists/manuals were dated 1996, and under the chassis between the tubes is written in blue marker "04/97" with the same initials as on the back. On the back below the power chord are initials"MB"in marker, with a star written below them.
Could this have been a custom build for someone?
Please chime in - I love this amp, but everything I read confuses me, as there are conflicting opinions on all the boards.
Thanks!!!

sluggo said:
Ok - I may have the last Blue stripe ever made. I have a 60W combo (2 Mesa STR420 Green tubes only) with the Celestion Black Shadow C90 speaker, Reverb, graphic EQ, non-simulclass. It has the serial number decal below the power cord - #28288!!! The guy I got it from was the original owner - he gave me all the literature and even the showroom hangtag. All price lists/manuals were dated 1996, and under the chassis between the tubes is written in blue marker "04/97" with the same initials as on the back. On the back below the power chord are initials"MB"in marker, with a star written below them.
Could this have been a custom build for someone?
Please chime in - I love this amp, but everything I read confuses me, as there are conflicting opinions on all the boards.
Thanks!!!

Some of the stripes change color over time, but one sure-fire way to determine if your amp is a blue stripe as opposed to a green stripe, is to look at a gut shot of the power tube sockets. It's easy to tell whether it's wired in pentode (green stripe) or triode (blue stripe).

All green stripes were Simul-Class.
Being Sluggo's amp a 60 watter, I believe it is a blue stripe.

igfraso said:
All green stripes were Simul-Class.
Being Sluggo's amp a 60 watter, I believe it is a blue stripe.

Yep, I agree, all greens are simul-class. Just trying to provide some information on how it's best to tell the "100 watters" apart. Sluggo's is definitely one of the latest numbers I've seen, and I'm surprised they extend the 60watt production that far.

Hello all,

I'm looking at possibly adding a Mark III to my amp collection. I found one advertised as a Green Stripe, but it has a strange serial number. It's "A228xx", which makes me think it should be a Blue. But I'm confused by the letter A. Is that normal? The stripe actually looks kind of teal or aqua. For the record, it's Simulclass, with GEQ, and reverb.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad737 said:
Hello all,

I'm looking at possibly adding a Mark III to my amp collection. I found one advertised as a Green Stripe, but it has a strange serial number. It's "A228xx", which makes me think it should be a Blue. But I'm confused by the letter A. Is that normal? The stripe actually looks kind of teal or aqua. For the record, it's Simulclass, with GEQ, and reverb.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad
The serial number certainly strays into the blue territory. Is it stamped into the chassis or a sticker? There are so many examples of "exceptions" to the S/N rules. Price-wise, there's no difference so if it's a good deal, don't let the stripe influence you. Once you have it, if you just gotta know, open it up and check for triode wiring on the power stage.

The serial number is stamped into the plate on the back of the chassis. How do I check for triode wiring?
Thanks,
Brad

kdorsey said:
The serial number certainly strays into the blue territory. Is it stamped into the chassis or a sticker? There are so many examples of "exceptions" to the S/N rules. Price-wise, there's no difference so if it's a good deal, don't let the stripe influence you. Once you have it, if you just gotta know, open it up and check for triode wiring on the power stage.

Mine is #162XX, head, SimulClass, GEQ, reverb, and has the following:

Purple stripe above the power cord.
Blue '+ .' or 'x .' above the power cord. That is, some cross-like mark and a dot, in blue marker, over or under the purple stripe.
Green dot next to the courtesy outlet.
Green 'R' below the courtesy outlet.
'MB' in black marker below the power cord.

I'm assuming this is a purple stripe, but I don't know what the plus and dots mean.

So I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Mk III long chassis with what looks like a red stripe but the serial is 1852#. Any opinion on whether or not it's actually a red stripe? It has the MB initial, SC over the power cord, and an R below the cord. Any help would be much appreciated!

Back