MARK III SERIAL NUMBERS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JimmyB said:
solinator said:
My serial number on my Mark III is 263xx.

I have seen the blue stripes where there is absolutely no question the color is blue. Yet, on mine, the color is more like a weird aqua (doesn't help to stare at it and ask yourself, is this blue or green?!) In reality, it looks both green and blue ahah.

Well, I might post some pictures. In the end, like other Mark III owners here, I love my "blue" stripe (as it was sold to me) and I don't really care. But since reading these forums, I am now curious. :)

You've got a green stripe there! As you noted, the blue stripes are clearly blue, while the green is really teal or aqua... but "teal stripe" just doesn't sound heavy enough, right? :wink:

Thanks JimmyB -- hahah, yeah, "teal stripe" doesn't sound heavy enough... while GREEN stripe sounds rough... :)

mesaboogie6L6 said:
Blue stripe dated 10/90 #27049

Hi there - Do you have a picture? My mesa which is serial 26xxx has been accused of being a green stripe, but this theory wouldn't work, since, as you mentioned, there is a later serial and it's blue.

Is it more like.... teal than blue? lol

Thanks!

solinator said:
mesaboogie6L6 said:
Blue stripe dated 10/90 #27049

Hi there - Do you have a picture? My mesa which is serial 26xxx has been accused of being a green stripe, but this theory wouldn't work, since, as you mentioned, there is a later serial and it's blue.

Is it more like.... teal than blue? lol

Thanks!

His is a Coliseum model, which defies all rules and theory. FWIW, the serial #'s were stamped as the chassis was installed into the cabinet. So, if someone placed an order, then backed out after the chassis was built but before it was installed in a cabinet, you will possibly have a freak. The best case is the (page 4) pictured K510 Black Dot MkIII Coliseum with a 1985 chassis build date. :shock:

Yes, I ordered it from the factory Oct. 90' with the $150 deposit and sent like $100 a week until it was payed off, It was the Coliseum and a 4x12 halfback with EV's, total was like $2300, they kept calling me at work asking if i still wanted it, I told them YES and they worked with me, I finally payed it off in Feb. of 91', took 6 months, oops! Might be why they stopped the whole deposit thing :eek:

mesaboogie6L6 said:
Yes, I ordered it from the factory Oct. 90' with the $150 deposit and sent like $100 a week until it was payed off, It was the Coliseum and a 4x12 halfback with EV's, total was like $2300, they kept calling me at work asking if i still wanted it, I told them YES and they worked with me, I finally payed it off in Feb. of 91', took 6 months, oops! Might be why they stopped the whole deposit thing :eek:

Thanks JOEY B and mesaboogie6L6. Great info. By the way... that's a seriously BLUE stripe lol. Mine looks different. I'll post pics soon...

Okay, here are some pictures of my "teal" stripe ahah:

blue-or-green-stripe1.jpg

Blurry, but closer to the stripe. Sorry it was done just a few minutes ago and it was a dark in my living room :p
blue-or-green-stripe2.jpg

Another perspective to the "teal" color. And if you compare this stripe with mesaboogie6L6's Mark, there is an absolute difference:

blue-or-green-stripe3.jpg

Here is a picture of the front of my Mark III:
mark_iii_1.jpg

Here is a picture of the rest of my gear with my Mark III: I have a small slant Mesa/Boogie cab with 25W Greenbacks, and also a Mesa Boogie .50 Caliber - a very cool sounding head:

mesa-boogie-hore2.jpg

Note that recently, I did a transplant of all the EQ plastic slider covers from my .50 Caliber and put them in my Mark III.

Okay sorry for all the pictures. These ones will give you a better idea of the TEAL stripe lol:

mark_iii_back1.jpg

Another:
mark_iii_back2.jpg

And another!
mark_iii_back3.jpg

By now the stripe should look green, but wait, it's blue, but wait... :(

That's a sweet Mark. III there. How do you find the Greenbacks handle high volume? I really want a closed back greenback loaded quad for my purple stripe.

1988 Mark III Simul Reverb GEQ Blue Stripe Combo EV Loaded Baby.

No other Guitar Amp has ever been or ever will be as Excellent as the Mesa Boogie Mark III !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1988BoogieMarkIIIBlueStripe_1419.jpg

1988BoogieMarkIIIBlueBack.jpg

robredo_mattila said:
That's a sweet Mark. III there. How do you find the Greenbacks handle high volume? I really want a closed back greenback loaded quad for my purple stripe.

Thanks!

As for the greenbacks, they handle the Mark III in simulclass mode extremely well. You will be VERY loud, in fact, I've played some JMC Marshall cabs with a Dual Rectifier and I don't recall those being as loud as my Mark III with my greenbacks. Note that my cab is the old style "compact" Mesa cab with the top two speakers being open back and the bottom being closed backs. The volume is very loud and you can play virtually any venue you want. Only reason to get a second cab would not be for volume, but for effects, in my opinion, and I've played some pretty good sized venues, like the old Reseda Country Club in the LA/Valley area. You will be happy with the greenbacks. Last thing is: These are the 25 watt versions. Cheers!

Nomad said:

No other Guitar Amp has ever been or ever will be as Excellent as the Mesa Boogie Mark III !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a great-looking amp. See how your blue stripe is unquestionably blue? Mine is the "teal" blue ahaha. Some here are saying it's not teal, it's green stripe. :)

What's your opinion?

solinator said:
Nomad said:

That's a great-looking amp. See how your blue stripe is unquestionably blue? Mine is the "teal" blue ahaha. Some here are saying it's not teal, it's green stripe. :)

What's your opinion?

You got a Green Stripe. 8)

gts said:
solinator said:

What's your opinion?
Solinator:
Go look at the pics posted by Koprofag on Page 2 of this thread and the responses.
Also see last last posts on Page 3 of this thread - same pics with further clarification.

Take your chasis out and compare it to the pics.
Since you have a Simul-Class amp you'll be able to tell (blue or green) by the tube socket wiring shown in the pics on that page of this thread.

I've always guessed a blue mark/ stripe made with a blue marker could fade to teal just as easily as green mark/ stripe could fade to teal.

Now go pull your chasis! :) ;-)

No problem! hehe

I will--just had a few days of rehearsals and Thxgivin and was too tired to pull it out. I'll take some pics and share with you all. Note that even though I am proficient at playing guitar, my weakness has always been electronics! So, I decided to try the folks that know their stuff on these forums. :)

Well, I'll post soon! :)

Okay, here are the pictures of the inside of my Mark III chassis:

tube-wiring1.jpg

Here is another one:
tube-wiring2.jpg

tube-wiring3.jpg

Here are some additional ones:
chassis1.jpg

more:
chassis2.jpg

one more:
chassis3.jpg