I got it! Mesa Studio Pre

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe web

Reaction score
hey folks,

today i got my "new" used studio preamp.
i´m blown away! this thing sounds awesome. i plugged it from the recording out into my mindprint interface (no amp at home right now) and listen to it via my samson resolv speaker.
really, i had no clue that it´s sound sooo nice and can be that aggressive. this thing is build december 1989 and the tubes still looks like the stock ones, so i´ll put in some new mesa 12AX7 this evening.

just wanted to share my happiness with you guys.
rock on!

edit:
here are two quick samples that i made.
recording thru rec out into TRIO mindprint...guitar was a EBMM JP6
at first clean with bright, 2nd clean with brigth and EQ, 3rd lead with fat and bright, 4th lead with fat, bright and EQ

the second file is the same, but i used an impulse response file to simulate a mesa recto 4x12 with a SM57 mic in front.
(got this demo impulse-files from www.recabi.net)

download the .rar file, extract it and rename the two files from "bk" to "mp3"
i had to do it this way, because due to policy issues there is no MP3 download possible at this time from this site.

http://www.file-upload.net/download-1266019/Mesa-Studio-Pre.rar.html

Congratulations.My studio pre is marked 12/7/89.As its American take that as December too.What power amp are you going to couple it with?I have a 50/50,its natural partner.

not quite shure about the poweramp.
option number one is to integrate it into my actual setup, with the roadster and the dual recto.
so after the effects, the signal runs into both amp´s return. which means 2x100 watt brutal mesa power....but another extra wight in my big case.
the second option is a 2:90, which would be great with its three modes.
the third option is a 50/50 as you have it.
and last but not least, option four: no poweramp, only for recording and practicing at home running it into the mindprint directly.

it depends on, how much the poweramps go for here in europe.

Congrats on the Studio Pre! I picked one up a few weeks back myself. Enjoy!

For what it's worth, I'm running with an old 50/50 and absolutely love it!

thanx man!
does the old 50/50 have enough low-end and punch?
i thought the 2:90 would be a great poweramp with the deep mode and the modern mode.
never heard a 50/50 until now, so i don´t have know how it will sound like at the end.
will i get nearly the same punch and low-end feeling as with my roadster or dual recto?

I have not tried a recto or roadster.But with the lead channel on and switched to fat,it has enough bottom end to knock your teeth out.This is a seriously load amp,although it can be switched to low power for practice.Maybe some of the others forum users can advise you better. heres a pic.
100_0411.jpg

just a few minutes ago, i worked out a deal for an old 50/50 poweramp. :)
after reading in this forum from a few forumites, that they are using this combination, i´ll give it a try as well.

the 50/50 compaired the the 290 has just as much punch!!!! and four less tubes to deal with...i own both but the 50/50 has more bottom to me

wow, thank you for this info about the poweramps.
wouldn´t have expacted this, but good to know.

Back