LSS Chassis Bolt

Dual/Triple Rectos, Maverick, Blue Angel, Nomad, Road King, F-Series, Lone Star & Stiletto

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

CGM
Mark II

Post by CGM » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:48 pm

....Also, sanity?....Self esteem!?....Iplay guitar ....I don't have that kind of room.....
'71 ES-335,
'82 American Tele
'05G&L ASAT Classic ( very cool )
'97G&LASAT Classic
Rivera Venus 6, Rivera Clubster 25
LSS," Reeder Mod" ( I'm lovin it !)

Lou
Donating Member

Post by Lou » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:34 am

Clearly this thread is screwed.
Studio 22
LoneStar Special, "Reeder" edition.

Strat w/ hand wound 54's by Manlius

dougbilski
Bottle Rocket

I'm an idiot - learn from me!

Post by dougbilski » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:15 pm

So... regarding that screw... And, since we're questioning sanity - you all should get a kick out of my stupidity...

I saw the screw in question in the back of my brand new LSS, and thought (like a complete idiot) that anything sticking out like that should really be screwed in ALL the way. Don't cringe...

So... I got out my electric drive and drove that sucker until it was all the way in! oops... The good news is that it didn't come sticking out the top of my amp. The bad news is that I called MB and found out that it really is just supposed to put tension on the chassis. They sent me a new screw since I stripped it in the process (I TOLD you I was an idiot).

Now, my question is whether or not to remove it, and make the repair to the top underside of the cabinet. I didn't realize there was foil there... I was thinking of taking it apart, using wood filler on the cabinet and reinstalling the new tension screw that they sent me. Or, I could just leave well enough alone. What do you think?

By the way, I do have an amp repair savvy friend who will help me with the repair. Clearly I can't be trusted with this kind of thing! :)

OK, "rib" me for all it's worth...

Doug

Lou
Donating Member

Post by Lou » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:01 pm

Studio 22
LoneStar Special, "Reeder" edition.

Strat w/ hand wound 54's by Manlius

dougbilski
Bottle Rocket

Wow!

Post by dougbilski » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:15 pm

...man that looks great! I bet I'll have time to eat it after I'm done f%&# up my awesome new amp!!! :)

Dr. Tweedbucket
Mark II

Post by Dr. Tweedbucket » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:12 pm

YOu guys are all NuTZ :lol: :lol:
Tone is in the AMP ! !1 !!

1028paul
Mark II

Post by 1028paul » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:47 am

The screw in question.. just to clarrify... :)

on second pic, you can see the top of the screw has a grounding plate to make good contact with the shielding above.

Gibson LP R0 & SG C/S Reissue/Fender Strats & Teles/Jackson Fusion SSH/Taylor 814 ce.. Im not going to do this list thing.. what a terrible addiction tone becomes !. is there a clinic ??

dougbilski
Bottle Rocket

How Hard?

Post by dougbilski » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:42 am

How hard was it to remove the chassis? I'm thinking of trying to repair my "screw" up (pun intended) by replacing the screw and putting some wood putty into the underside of the cabinet where I undoubtedly chewed the heck out of it overtightening that screw!

What does that screw push against? Right into the wood of the cabinet or is there some kind of plate or something there?

1028paul
Mark II

Post by 1028paul » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:15 am

dougbilski,

I just found that pic on the web when researching what the screw does, not had my chassis out. so Im not qualified to help, other than presume the top of the screw tightens against a foil sheet on underside of the cab top.

Paul.
Gibson LP R0 & SG C/S Reissue/Fender Strats & Teles/Jackson Fusion SSH/Taylor 814 ce.. Im not going to do this list thing.. what a terrible addiction tone becomes !. is there a clinic ??

stonevibe
Mark I

Post by stonevibe » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:43 pm

I've pulled my chassis out before to check when I thought my reverb was fubar.

It is not to hard just take your time and mind where you take your screws from....

:D

ellem52
Mark II

Oh screw it....

Post by ellem52 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:31 pm

My Lonestar does have a "rattle" especially when I play clean. Is this a screw I should look into tightening to reduce the rattle?

(OK, look when I play on the Drive channel everything in the house shakes so much I have no idea what the amp is doing.)
87 Ibanez RG550DY
90 Gibson Les Paul Standard
05 Ibanez RGT220A
07 Breedlove AC250/12
12 Gibson Les Paul Swamp Ash Studio
14 Republic Clarksdale Special
14 Martin J-40
15 Fender American Special Strat

Rusty
Bottle Rocket

Re: LSS Chassis Bolt

Post by Rusty » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:35 pm

Thanks for clearing up the mystery on this screw for me.

Here's a shot of one sticking out of my Rocket 44:

Ken j
Mark III

Re:

Post by Ken j » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:06 am

1028paul wrote:... the top of the screw tightens against a foil sheet on underside of the cab top.

Paul.
That is correct. The screw should just be snug. Do not over tighten. Note you need to loosen this screw before removing the chassis, from the cab.
The best things in life aren't things.

SgtThump
Mark II

Post by SgtThump » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:28 am

Well I'll be damned... I just got an Electra Dyne combo and when I had the amp apart checking stuff out, I saw that long screw sticking out there. It looks really out of place. I couldn't figure out what the heck that's for and was thinking about calling Mesa just to ask. Then I saw this thread. LOL! Thanks for the info!

Addictedtokaos
Mark III

Post by Addictedtokaos » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:05 pm

Does anyone have any info on this screw? My amp is missing it. I left a mesa with Mesa Tech support with no reply.

It looks like a #8 or #6 (32) coarse 3" screw. Can anyone confirm this.

Also, how much damage to the foil shielding would have to be done to warrant replacing it? there looks like there may be a few small tears (1/8") where someone over tightened the screw.

Ive read some people use screen, aluminum ducting sheets, or plain BBQ foil. Anyone have any experience with any of these materials?
ESP Eclipse II w/EMG JH Set
Squier Bullet w/SD SH-2n/SH-6
Mini Rectifier
2x12 Horizontal Cab
Line UX6 w/ Overloud 2