The Mark IV thread....!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow i was about to ask that question. Excellent. So basically no worries as far as A vs B just whether or not it has 2FX loops reverb tube and foot switchable reverb? And a little as far as sound but not much. so basically if it comes down to buying a 1991 mark IV or a 2007 one there is more or less no major differences?

Wow i was about to ask that question. Excellent. So basically no worries as far as A vs B just whether or not it has 2FX loops reverb tube and foot switchable reverb? And a little as far as sound but not much. so basically if it comes down to buying a 1991 mark IV or a 2007 one there is more or less no major differences?

When choosing between any older amp such as a 1991 model or a newer 2007 model you have to consider the possibility that the cap's in the older amp might need replacing. As they get older they can dry out, so you should factor that into your price comparison or, at least be aware of the chance of the added expense.

Just a little something to help simplify your decision! :lol:

Xqzdust said:

When choosing between any older amp such as a 1991 model or a newer 2007 model you have to consider the possibility that the cap's in the older amp might need replacing. As they get older they can dry out, so you should factor that into your price comparison or, at least be aware of the chance of the added expense.

Just a little something to help simplify your decision! :lol:

How would you know if they caps needed replacing? would it be a sacrifice of tone, or would the amp just stop working?

Use the search engine here and enter "when to replace filter caps?". The original question was posted by Rabies in april of 07. You should be able to answer your questions here. If not, just search for "Caps or capacitors". I'm sure you will find that you are not the first to wonder about this! :D

Bullen said:
Other things to look for: the A version uses a 12AT7 preamp tube for reverb. The B uses 12AX7.

I have an A and I noticed the 12AT7 preamp tube. Is it okay if I replace it with a 12AX7, or does this one always needs to be a 12AT7?

So I just won the auction of Mark IV and will soon be an official Boogie owner.

I think it is a series A but the "Mark IV" in the front is very close to the standby switch. It is a 1992 but looks to be in very good condition, do you think the caps will need replacement or anything?

Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300250758970&_trksid=p2759.l1259

think it is a series A but the "Mark IV" in the front is very close to the standby switch. It is a 1992 but looks to be in very good condition, do you think the caps will need replacement or anything?

The back panel looks like a "B". Scroll up a few and look at Bullen's post especially the pictures and compare.

think it is a series A but the "Mark IV" in the front is very close to the standby switch. It is a 1992 but looks to be in very good condition, do you think the caps will need replacement or anything?

The back panel looks like a "B". Scroll up a few and look at Bullen's post especially the pictures and compare.

The amp in the pics is definitely a B (no tolex, the FX loop, the placing of the logo), however he describes it as an A from 1992 with a serial number that might match that period (mine is from 1993 with serial number 13xx).
I don't mean to worry you, but something is not right on that auction. Ask him for a picture of the actual serial number, it's the only way to know for sure. The serial number is located on the bottom of the chassis, so it's easy to access.

A-5best said:
So I just won the auction of Mark IV and will soon be an official Boogie owner.

I think it is a series A but the "Mark IV" in the front is very close to the standby switch. It is a 1992 but looks to be in very good condition, do you think the caps will need replacement or anything?

Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300250758970&_trksid=p2759.l1259

you son of a *****! you outbid me!

lucky. I am sad... Good luck with your amp. :)

Hi guys

I think I'm going to buy mesa Mark IV or III.
I've heard that MK III (I can't afford MKIIc+) tone is better than Mark IV.

1. Is it really a big difference? Some ppl say Mark III is more aggresive. Is there anything else like more dimensional sound or something?

2. How does it (Mark IV) work on the scene? Does it cut through?

I know that Mesa IV was used on many recordings (studio), but I haven't seen any famous guitarist using it on live performances. Why? I'm very, very curious.
:idea:
I don't think its tweaking problem(the biggest disadvantage of mark iv?), many guitarist use one channel amps without problems.

I've heard that Mark IV can sound flat, 2-dimensional in live situations(?).

3. I've got Marshall 6100, it's very nice amp with good opinion, but it can't get me into metal territory without external pedal/eq. It excels at rock, hard rock, 3D open tones etc, but not heavy metal or Whitesnake, Dio tones.
I've tried some guitars and I think I need other amplifier or nice pedal.

I've sold my Single Rectifier too. If it comes to distortion, I liked only Vintage mode, but it was too "flubby/muddy". Anyway, I don't use much gain but I like nice saturated(but still dynamic) tone.
Modern has too much bite, bass sounded a bit unnatural imho, highs were too fizzy for me.
It was easy to play(rectifier), but I'm seeking something more demanding (responsive to my articulation, like some VHT amps).

And I like versatility :)
I think I'm just seeking something between marshall&recto.

Hello,

I'm new to this board, so, while reading previous post:

I've got a Mesa MarkIVa combo, Serialnumber 1995. It has 2 EL34 Svetlana Winged C tubes, 2 Groove Tubes 6L6GC and EV speaker in it.

For the rehearsels, I'm using a Sovtek Mig100 with a 4x12 inch original vintage Celestions 12H30 greenbacks speaker, an ADA mp1 and Roland GP8 in front of it, but this one is too big for transportation for live performance.

So, I'm using the Boogie Mark IV for live performance. Last weekend we had to perform on scene. Setup, live on stage: Boogie Mark IV Combo, with Nobels MS8 MIDI switcher and GP8 in front. Settings: Tweed Power, Master volume on 2 1/2. With these settings, I'm cutting through everything !!!! :)
Not one single problem, after 15 minutes playing, our keyboard player asked me to lower my volume ..... We are playing rock, hardrock + Santana style of music.
At the end of the show, just for testing, I've put the Mark IV on Full Power Rhtythm 2, and General Power Amp Master on 7 ( channel masters on 3 ), and I just had hit 1 chord on my guitar ( Gibson Les Paul ).
Place filled up with about 200 people, no PA, just right into the tent. They all started to applaus ....... :)

So, don't worry about the Mark IV !!

I saw the Mark IV live on stage with 2 groups in the Netherlands, one of them was "Rob De Nijs" early 90's. His guitarplayer had the same Mark IV combo as I have now. I'm sure a lot of famous bands are using them, but they are hidden backstage, or maybe they don't want the world to know how they get there incredible good tone ?

Best regards.

I apologize if this has already been asked in this thread/forum but I couldn't find the answer so here goes...

Can anyone tell me which Mark IV (A or B) John Petrucci uses? Just something I've been wondering for a while. Do more pro's prefer one versus the other, or is it just another apples/oranges type deal?

Hail to the board by a noob,

I'm sorry for this probably yet asked question, but anybody knows what's the power consumption of a Mark IV, or otherwise, maybe someone got an amperometric clamp to check it?

Thanks.

Back