Mark III simull class head how do i know which version is?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxr2000

Reaction score
just found a mark III simul class 100 watts sounds great but i would like to know Which version is and how to date it? its a small black head s/n 22999

according to this info, mine is blue stripe but i can't find the date of the amp yet

To find the date you will need to open her up and remove the chassis. The date should be written inside like the picture below of my Mark III:

DSC00067.jpg

If you look under the chassis by the first preamp tube (V1) there might be a date, mine is marked 10/90 in red sharpie.

IXIStreakIXI said:
Yes it is. My Simul-class is 60/100.
Sorry, no.
The "Simul-Class/Class A" switches on heads are often mis-labeled "Half/Full Power".
Simul-Class is 75 watts Simul (all four tubes), 15 watts Class A (outside pair). The outside pair (ONLY) may be EL-34s or 6L6s. Green stripes go up to 85/25 as the outside pair is wired pentode.
There is no such animal as a 60/100 Simul-Class. It's either 60/100 -OR- Simul-Class.
Never both. Never. NEV-ER.
You can't run EL-34s in the outside pair of a 60/100. It's got to be all 6L6s.

mine says on the back simull class and the half and full power switch is the front face plate and the reverb control is on the front face plate too

mxr2000 said:
mine says on the back simull class and the half and full power switch is the front face plate and the reverb control is on the front face plate too
You have a "long" head. "Short" heads are 18.5 inches wide and the reverb knob's on the back like the combo. Eight knobs on the front = "long" head.
The "Simul-Class/Class A" switches on heads are often mis-labeled "Half/Full Power". This switch actually means:
Simul-Class is 75 watts Simul (all four tubes, "Full Power"), 15 watts Class A (outside pair of power tubes, "Half-Power"). The outside pair of power tubes (ONLY) may be EL-34s or 6L6s.

mxr2000 said:

Mine is the same. Simul class label on the back, half/full switch and reverb on the front. It's a red stripe head.

mesa1.jpg

mesa2.jpg

mincy said:
mxr2000 said:

Mine is the same. Simul class label on the back, half/full switch and reverb on the front. It's a red stripe head.

mesa1.jpg

mesa2.jpg

Hey thats how mine looks too. but sure with the blue stripe :D

MrMarkIII said:
mxr2000 said:
You have a "long" head. "Short" heads are 18.5 inches wide and the reverb knob's on the back like the combo. Eight knobs on the front = "long" head.
The "Simul-Class/Class A" switches on heads are often mis-labeled "Half/Full Power". This switch actually means:
Simul-Class is 75 watts Simul (all four tubes, "Full Power"), 15 watts Class A (outside pair of power tubes, "Half-Power"). The outside pair of power tubes (ONLY) may be EL-34s or 6L6s.
Man this most be the loudest 15 watts on earth.. :lol:

But 15 watts is already pretty loud. All things being equal, 1.5 watts would be half as loud as 15 watts, and to get twice as loud as 15 watts, you'd need 150 watts.

Back