So who here plays a PRS (bring pics)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2705005320098451828hIUBJP_th.jpg
[/url]
here it is. the one I made. Please be gentle . ok it has a Flamed maple top the was dyed blue black sanded through to show grain then tinted with a black blue tint coat natural binding that runs into the natural figured mahogany back, its a natural neck through with ziricote, cherry, flamed maple, and ebony laminates, Ziricote fingerboard is fully scalloped with abalone dot inlany, o the grain runs up the stock and continues through the headstock laminate that has a partial carve to it exposing the ebony and mahogany laminates underneath. Emg pickups corian nut gotoh bridge and tuners. Its no PRS. But let me know what you think anyways

Impressive :!: :p

Did you make the neck too? I know SoulMate similar style necks, laminated with different hardwoods.

Excellent!

Lespaul123

That is incredible work! Wow. I do some woodworking so I have an idea, but that is off the charts gorgeous. Do you make these for a living?

I always wanted to build my own, but not having any resources to get trained or bounce things off of I have always balked at it. Many people think that because you built it yourself it must have cost $50 bucks or so in wood and glue. The reality is that you can often buy a finished instrument for less than what the select block of tonewood costs, never mind all the parts and tools and time. You have to be a builder and have access to piles of wood before it gets anywhere near economical.

Sorry for the rant. Just wanted to say that your work is fantastic and I am sure it sounds and plays as good as it looks.

Joe

Hey guys thanks for your comments. It means a bunch to me. But no i dont do this for a living I just couldnt find a guitar that was exactly what I wanted. And I wasnt willing to pay the 2 to 3 thousand for one. So I started practicing carving tops. Then made a few diffrent necks. Then drew up some plans then thought about it for a few months to work out all the potential problems. I live by berea hardwood so I got some of my wood there. Then ordered the rest, including some specialty tools. I can assure you building a guitar is no cheap venture. And I have access to a complete cabinet shop. I really dont think that it is as difficult as most would think. As long as you can work wood to certain extent, and understand the workings of a guitar you can do it. With the right tools of course. This one took me 3 straight weeks to do all of the wood work. Which is about a third of the time my first one took me. It took about a month er so to finish it. There is a lot of dry time involved. And cost about 600 in woods and parts. I reused my old pick ups. So I saved that cost. I think you could do it for less tho. Thanks again

lespaul123:

You should join the ReRanch Guitar Refinishing Forum.

I know two other members here that's a member there too. Great bulletin board where everyone shares techniques and answers questions. We have everything from first timers to professionals.

Majority of the members are diy guitar builders any where from kits to scratch builds (from the raw materials like what you did).

Unlike TGP, everyone is sympathetic and has open minds helping each other out.

Lespaul123. man your work is awesome :shock: congrats!! :D

humm, wondering one of those with a brazilian rosewood neck and board 8)

well now for the thread . . . maybe some pics of her in action will be better: :p

DSC00062.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

Sweet 245, Bob!

BTW, are you in the bay area of NorCal by chance? I knew a guy named Bob who played guitar for a band called Landshark years ago. Just wondering if you're the same guy.

Back