So who here plays a PRS (bring pics)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i never thought i could, then i realized i was spending $700 on guitars that i didnt really like as much as a prs, so i sold em and bought a used prs lol, you can but a used CE for $1000 on ebay

2002 CE-24 flame maple binding, rare Cabernet finish color. I think some rosewood pickup rings would set it off nicely...those cream ones stand out too much.

e479_1.jpg
[/img]

I don't get PRS guitars at all. They are eye candy for sure, but I have never been impressed. I have played some very expensive PRS's at guitar stores, and I never understood the hype.

dmt said:
I don't get PRS guitars at all. They are eye candy for sure, but I have never been impressed. I have played some very expensive PRS's at guitar stores, and I never understood the hype.

so I take it you don't play one...

DSC000221.jpg

kids-3.jpg

Plus a lovely Singlecut trem in blue. Love PRS, having owned many! Had a Tom Anderson but couldn't get on with the flat neck. Horses for courses, as we say!

tremayne007 said:
o.k., a bit of a continuance in thread diversion here, but...

.....I would love to hear other pickup replacement suggestions for a PRS. I have a custom 24 from 94, came stock with the HFS and VB.

Hey Tremayne,

I was justing reading back through this thread and saw your question. It hit a nerve with me cause I did the exact same mod - had a Cu24 that came with the HFS and VB. I pulled them out pretty quickly when I got the guitar and put in a Duncan Custom/Custom and a Custom 5. Makes a very significant difference. I found it to be a very balanced even tone - nothing to pronounced. Cleans are warm and bright, cutting through nicely. Distorted tones are very crisp and fluid, and Hi Gain is again crisp and responsive.

That being said, I am probably going to change them out. I just bought a set of pickups from WCR (I put in a Fillmore in the neck and Crossroads in the bridge) and they make my Les Paul sound absurdly good. I'm gonna throw a set in my PRS. They are a bit pricey, but if you are paying for a PRS you are a fool if you scrimp on pickups.

Did you leave the 5 way in? I hated that switch. I took mine out and put a standard toggle in, and then a push/pullon the bridge pup for a single coil option. Really adds a great tone option and gets rid of the awkward 5 way. Save the 5 way for later retro though. Some people really like them.

Thanks for the reply, its been a while since I checked this thread. Hope to do a bit of experimenting soon.

I will let you know how it goes...

I just bought a 10 top Custom 22. Planning on flipping it not keeping it but it is a decent piece.

PRStop-1.jpg

prstop4.jpg

prstop2.jpg

thats a pretty sweet top, it looks like a boat wake.

so recently i sold the green prs and now only have the purple one and i hve been planning some experiments... i put the tremonti treble in the bridge. it sounds good, but its very thick sounding, and sounds somewhat similar to the neck (thickness wise). so i lost the versitility i had with the thinner HFS pickup. so i think that in order to get the best results from that pickup combo, i would have to go with the 3 way push pull.

while im at it i am going to but in a stacked volume pot so i can have seperate volume controls, im going to put in a push/push pot for tone, so i have my humbucker sound for distortion, and my single sound for cleans at the push of a button. plus with the 2 volumes i can turn 1 all the way down, and one up and flip the toggle to have a kill switch effect.

but first im going to try a mccarty so make sure i like the basic switching and sounds

I know this is for prs`s but I built one inspired by prs. But its a neck through with a ziricote fingerboard, fully scalloped. Figured Mahogany body and flamed maple top. Emgs with string thru body with a tune o matic bridge. any body care if I post some pics? :lol:

Back