So who here plays a PRS (bring pics)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commander Coo1

Reaction score
i know a lot of people here play em, so lets see em!
here are mine:
this one is a 1999 CE24 with a wide thin neck, and maply pickup rings
DSCF0532.jpg

this one is a 1996 CE24 signed on the backplate by paul reed smith himself, and it also has birds which is pretty hard to find on a CE, it also has a regular neck carve and rosewood pickup rings.
IMGP0377.jpg

here is another shot with some photoshop editing fun (not that it really needs it):
edit1.jpg

I have a nice one but it has been a dust collector for a few years now. I moved to Tom Andersons and the PRS doesnt cut it for me anymore.

prstop.jpg

prsamp.jpg

neck1.jpg

head.jpg

P7300002.jpg

hey nqd, how do you like the dragon/tremonti combo, i have been thinking of trying it for a while. does it sound good split like the hfs and vintage bass if you have heard them to compare.

Not a very good pic, but it's the latest.

Gear3.JPG

'07 SC250 Emerald Green
'96 CE22 Scarlet Red
'02 Tremonti SE Platinum
'01 McCarty Royal Blue
'04 Singlecut Trem Dark Cherryburst

Commander Coo1 said:
this one is a 1996 CE24 signed on the backplate by paul reed smith himself, and it also has birds which is pretty hard to find on a CE, it also has a regular neck carve and rosewood pickup rings.
IMGP0377.jpg

here is another shot with some photoshop editing fun (not that it really needs it):
edit1.jpg

Have I already asked when this was made? I know of a few people whose birded '96 CE's were made within a few weeks of mine.

BTW, that has a really intense figuring for a CE! Nice guitar!!

Commander Coo1 said:
hey nqd, how do you like the dragon/tremonti combo, i have been thinking of trying it for a while. does it sound good split like the hfs and vintage bass if you have heard them to compare.

To my ears, the dragon bass is extremely sweet, almost like tasting candy. I think it's the quintessential pick to define the PRS sound. It's described by PRS as having a "sweet angelic high end." It's not dark, muddy, or shrill. It's very punchy and creamy. The VB is warmer and less punchy. It's a little "sloppier" if you want to call it that. Different strokes for different folks.

The Tremonti treble is very very hot and a little scooped to give him that metal tone.

man i dont have the guitar with me right now so i dont remmember the date or serial on it, but ill try to get it to you tomorrow. and i believe you did ask before but i dont remmember what happened after that, at least someone did i think on the prs forum.

yea i have been thinking that the dragon 1 bass might be more for me than the vintage bass. but im worried about altering this ce cause its such a great guitar, maybe if i can pick up a used dragon 1

The Dragon bass is one of the best pups that i ever heard. I totally agree with Elpelotero, its punchy and creamy. In clean tone is rich, smooth, and sweet... lovely. I pup the two pups on distorsion way... the power and the bass of the Dragon and the Hot and the define of the Tremonti. Really balls to the wall sound. Palm mutes from hell. lol

PS I love the Dragon pup and i thinking to buy the treble too...so you know, for me thats the prs sound

I really like the Dragon bass myself but I cannot *stand* the sound of the bridge one.. it's honestly one of the worst sounding pickups to my ears that I've ever played. I replaced my bridge with the Tremonti and I am much happier.

I really don't care for the HFS pickups either.. PRS make some great guitars but their pickups in my opinion are definitely the weak link in their guitars.

Yeah that is a pretty common consensus with PRS. Really cool guitars....mediocre pickups.

Platypus said:
I really like the Dragon bass myself but I cannot *stand* the sound of the bridge one.. it's honestly one of the worst sounding pickups to my ears that I've ever played. I replaced my bridge with the Tremonti and I am much happier

mmm the same pups than I... is the dragon treble so bad?? I dont listen it but it will be my second option if the tremonti dont fill my cup... but now....

nqd said:
Platypus said:
I really like the Dragon bass myself but I cannot *stand* the sound of the bridge one.. it's honestly one of the worst sounding pickups to my ears that I've ever played. I replaced my bridge with the Tremonti and I am much happier

mmm the same pups than I... is the dragon treble so bad?? I dont listen it but it will be my second option if the tremonti dont fill my cup... but now....

It sounds pretty awful to my ears.. very harsh and brittle, no high end clarity and lots of loose mud. The tremonti is a lot better in that regard.

Thanks for your opinion Platypus... I will try before buy the Dragon treble but at this moment Im so happy with my Tremonti

Back