Why I didn't like Marshalls...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch71

Reaction score
...and now own one? Simply put. Speaker/cab selection.

Yesterday I found a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab used for a good price and brought it home. I thought it would pair nice with my DSL 50 head. It's loaded with G1275 Celestions and to me sounds very harsh.

Then I got to thinking about all the times I plugged in a TSL or JCM 800 and didn't like the tone. Not knowing or researching anything about Marshall cabs and the speakers they use I guess I thought everything should sound like a V30. Marshall 1960 a and b cabs are loaded with the 12G75. I must have always been plugging into these.

The first Marshall head I found liked, a JCM 900, was paired with a 1960AV (I remember thinking what's, the V for?) and the DSL I brought home was paired with a 1960BV (again, what's the V for?) both are equipped with V30's. I know a lot of guys like the 12G75 and some even like them with Recto's.Again tone is subjective.

I do still want a SR/ROV head, but right now I'm in no hurry to get one as I'm truly enjoying the Marshall. I didn't want to say that on this board as this is my favorite online community.

The V stands for Vintage - I.E. Vintage 30 speakers.

I had G12T75 speakers in my original 1960B and they sounded dull and lifeless. I dumped them for a pair of V-30s and a pair of Greenbacks, now the cab sounds awesome!

I just put a pair of G12T-75s in my recto cab with the V30s (like the Ubercab). It sounds a fair amount better. I wouldn't want a whole cab of 75s as on their own they would sound a bit sterile, but with the V30 oomph they add an extra bit of detail and low-end tightness. It's a good decision Bogner made in doing this - if you're playing tuned down with added bass on the EQ into a large cab with all V30s (which in my opinion have pretty wooly bass), the sound is a bit messy. The 75s make all the difference.

I've been playing my Marshall JCM800 1x12 combo with the stock G12m70 speaker for over 12 years.

I just bought a Classic Lead 80 from EBAY for this amp. Can't wait to try it out.

I really like CL80s, I just dumped a V30 in one of my 1x12s in favour of one of the Warehouse Speakers' CL80-equivalents and have a Celestion CL80 in the other. CL80s are a great all-rounder.

OK, I put a Classic Lead 80 in my JCM800 1x12 Combo.
WOW, What a difference.
Smoother, more bottom and a lot louder.

Great Speaker!

Back