New guy, looking for some guidance

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel74

Reaction score
Hello all,
I plan on (hopefully) starting to home-record early in the new year. I have the following gear-

-ESP/LTD 400 EC, Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Rackmount, Peavey 5150, and a Weber MASS 150 (wedding gift).

-Ampeg SVP Pro preamp and MusicMan knock off bass, which I’ll use to record direct.

-I also have a Mackie Onyx 400-F; what are some good ways to use this?

I’ve played in bands (punk, hardcore, etc), and I’ve been recorded before, but I’ve never done it myself. I’m pretty sure I want to get one of the Zoom HD series or Boss BR seriesh recorders; they look fairly flexible and simple (I have a K-I-S-S attitude towards things).
My questions are-
-Silent recording is pretty much my only option right now (kids, neighbors). Considering the guitar sound options on the HD and BR recorders, should I get a cab simulator of some kind, or would it be worth it to experiment between my amps (which I LOVE)- thru the Weber-into the recorder and use one of the preamp settings and see what I can get before I spend more (unfortunately, money IS an object)? As I understand it, the settings include cabs, and can be tweeked? If I need to get a cab sim, would something like the Behringer model, or the HK Red Box work? I’ve also seen some things by Digitech that include cab sims? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back