Would you buy 1/2 a PRS?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lopp

Reaction score
A local pawn shop has a '99 PRS neck on a homebrewed PRS-style body. Two humbuckers, volume, tone, and simple 3 position toggle. All for $399. It plays and is set up very well. If you were to imagine having an option to get this frankenreedsmith, would you jump at the opportunity?

Also, after chatting with the guys, I guess the seller came in with two real PRS's and the frankensmith. The shop didn't realize the third wasn't real until after they bought it. :?

Can't you get one of the lower end PRS models for like $500ish? I may be thinking incorrectly but the ones made overseas? Not sure about the quality though so they may totally suck.

I have a Custom 22 myself and would never part with it, yah they are pricey but it's like a work of art with the birds etc. I get comments from non guitar players asking what kind of guitar it is etc.

I may not buy it but i'd have to say, be curious to try it out! What kind of humbuckers are they? Prs brand?

Yeah, you can get any of the SE models for somewhere in the $400-600 range. They're made overseas, but they're quite good for the money. I have four American models and one SE, with plans on getting another SE.

As far as the "Frankenprs", it's something I'd have to actually see and play to tell. But my guess is that somebody had a broken CE (typically with a rosewood fingerboard) or Swamp Ash Special (typically with a maple fingerboard) and built a new body for it.

Since I'm more of a PRS snob, I personally would probably pass on it. But if it's well built, I might recommend it to somebody else.

Hey Redmax and Undeadpaladin,

Thanks for your input. It's a 24 fret rosewood fingerboard and plays as well as my other PRS's. It may be a formerly broken CE. Those SE's might compare and an audition of those may be necessary. Although the Frankenprs does have the locking tuners, which would need to be added to a SE.

And yeah, I already have a Custom 24 Artist and a CE24. The prob is that the Artist is too nice to gig with at bars. There'd be less worries about the Frankenprs getting involved in an accident or even just getting a little buckle rash on the back.

Any other input you may begin to have an urge to share is welcome.

Why do you think your guitar is too nice to gig with? Call me curious, but do you just use it for home use?

I could see being worried about being stolen or something. Personally when i play out i take my stuff in with me and stay with it, then when i'm done i take it back to the car. May be different if your in a bigger band or venue and have sound guy and truck etc. I'm pretty insane about my guitar and amp, don't really let anyone mess with them. Never understood bands leaving stuff around all night till they play or something myself, just asking for trouble!

Back