Good interface to use?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elpelotero

Reaction score
Hey all,

I want to get an entry level recording interface. Looking to spend no more than $300 or so.

I like the Digidesign Mbox that brings ProTools LE, but it only gets up to 48khz. Is there anything similarly packaged that can get me to about 96khz? thanks

ART DPS

has dual 'psuedo' tube preamps, and a digital convertor section that is basically a ART D/IO

i bought mine for $219, and used it for the digital convertor to record an entire album with...

it aint a lucid, but you said 300 bucks...

Mackie Onyx Satellite

Uses the Onyx Preamps and has a portable walkaround unit as well as a docking station.. 24bit/96khz firewire.. the thing is an absolute steal, used to be 500 now they're 199 at musicians friend. Sounds fantastic.

I picked up a PreSonus Firebox and it works really well. Pretty straight forward compared to some other interfaces I've used, and it has some great sounding preamps in it.

I use the PreSonus firebox as well. Been using it for just over 2 years now without any problems. It has decent preamps (for the price) and is easy to use and set up. I also use a FMR RNP preamp along with it when I need more gain out of the preamps. But the firebox comes with Cubase le software too, so you're pretty much ready to roll right out of the box.

Ive been thinking of getting a firestudio for some time now, but I prefer to have an actual mixer to play with rather than a mouse. I know there is a control station that allows you to scroll through the tracks, but is there a better way to set up?

I basically want a real mixer with good preamps that I can record 8 tracks to computer. I come from the analog (4 track) world, and I'm used to using Cooledit pro 2.1 for digital.

Any suggestions?

TonePort UX2 is pretty cool, easy to use, works well for me. Might not be good enough for what you guys are doing, but it has a POD built in too and it was perfect for me. If i bought it again I'd get the one with a midi controller.

dmt said:
I basically want a real mixer with good preamps that I can record 8 tracks to computer. I come from the analog (4 track) world, and I'm used to using Cooledit pro 2.1 for digital.

Any suggestions?

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=21185

eltrain858 said:
dmt said:

Any suggestions?

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=21185

Just be aware - I don't think that thing functions as a control surface. It does look sweet though I'm thinking of getting one soon to make live demos of my band.

i've heard more than one pro in industry magazine interviews state that you don't REALLY need 96K. it sucks up more storage space and can be more taxing on your computer, potentially slowing things down. having said that though, if you've got tons of storage space and a powerful computer, then go for it. just remember- put the music first. 96K won't turn an average song into a gem.

thinskin57 said:
i've heard more than one pro in industry magazine interviews state that you don't REALLY need 96K. it sucks up more storage space and can be more taxing on your computer, potentially slowing things down. having said that though, if you've got tons of storage space and a powerful computer, then go for it. just remember- put the music first. 96K won't turn an average song into a gem.
i've heard the same thing.. it all ends up at 44.1k on a cd anyway...

dmt said:
Ive been thinking of getting a firestudio for some time now, but I prefer to have an actual mixer to play with rather than a mouse. I know there is a control station that allows you to scroll through the tracks, but is there a better way to set up?

Any suggestions?
presonus sells a USB fader console, of course its not the same thing as a mixer but it might be a worthwhile compromise

http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=2

The Alesis MultiMix 16 USB 2.0 looks aight. I'm gonna see if GC has it so I can check it out. How good are the mic pres in it?

Latest posts

Back