Recording high gain guitar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tacoshow

Reaction score
Hi all - I wonder if anyone has had experience recording high-gain/rock/metal guitar sounds using just a 1x12 cab? Currently I'm close mic-ing a 4x12 cabinet and getting good stuff. However, my thinking is that close mic-ing a single speaker in a cab shouldn't be all that different if the speaker is paired with 3 others or alone in its own cab. Am I right or off the mark here? I realize there's probably some ambient qualities of a 4x12 that even a close mic is picking up and those won't be there in a 1x12. But, the can I'm thinking about is a ported 1x12 Mesa Theile with a V30 which - as I understand it - sounds quite full with plenty of low, mid, and high frequencies.

Anyway, what say you?

I found it easier to mic a 1x12 cab, because all the signal is coming through a single source. I should say it's (IMO) easier to get the sound you hear in the room from a 1x12 than 4x12. Anytime I mic'd a 4x12 cab though, I took advantage of it and mic'd each speaker in a different way (different mics, different angles and positions) and mixed the best sounding ones together.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing as well (mic-ing each speaker in a 412) but I'd been thinking that if I had a really good sounding 112 it'd be sufficient. Has your experience been with a Theile cab specifically?

Different speakers in a 4x12 sound different.

You can have 4 completely identical speakers and they will all sound slightly different, so having a 4x12 just gives you more sounds to choose from. Some put out more high ends, some put out more low ends. It sounds stupid but I was told this by a friend who has been playing professionally (for Warners Music Australia) for 20+ years. He is also now professionally a producer. It sounded silly to me, but I tried it and its true. The differences are subtle but they are there.

You can't expect a 1x12 whether open or closed back to sound like a 4x12.

A 4x12 usually has a bigger cabinet in which standing waves reinforce certain frequencies, creating a comb filter effect. Also, you get some reinforcement and cancellation in front of the cabinet from the sound waves combining from the four speakers, depending on your position.

That's not to say that the 1x12 will sound better or worse -- just different. In the end let your ears (listening to the recorded sound) be the judge.

what ylo said is on point. a 4x12 sounds way different than a 1x12.

even with just one speaker miked. it doesn't just have to do with that one speaker even if you are using a dynamic right on the grill there are still cabinet, speaker, volume, sound wave, grille cloth, and room considerations that make up the sound.

In my experience, in a strict recording sense, it's not much difference between a 4X12 and a 1X12. The microphone only hears what it's put in front of. Pull it far enough away and you'll get ambient sound or peripheral sound from neighboring speakers if you're using more than 1 speaker in a cab.

I personally close mic my speaker and even though it's in a 2X12 cab, the SM57 has no problem isolating the 1 speakers sound it's in front of. I also drape a couple of heavy blankets over the cab so I can get it cranked. Works really well.

This was done with a 1X12 however, one track with a little chorus and delay added after the recording...probably a bit too much but it's about as high gain as I've ever done.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=264448&songID=4492340

So with the right post recording wizardry, a meager little 1X12 can still be made to sound like a wall of 4X12's.

makes a difference. you can hear the air compression and dynamics of a 1x12 as opposed to a 4x12.

pantera reinventing the steel was a 1x12 ISO cab and it sounds very very dry and punchy in the midrange.

that is a good example of a heavily naturally compressed tone.

I agree there are many ways to set up mics and record good sounding guitar. But aside from the mics and preamps, soundcards, etc. One thing that is often overlooked is the sound treatment in the room. It can mean the difference between an okay recording or a great recording.

Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back