Dual Rectifier HISTORY...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually own a Dual Rec. Black/Chrome Serial # 0003x. I can attest to the fact that it does have a bit more of a "sweet spot" than any other Recto I have played thru. I originally bought an all chrome head from Manny's in NY sometime in '92. That head's serial # was somewhere in the 180's. After only a few weeks time the head started giving me problems and I brought it to my tech for repair. Problem was is that the amp was so new there was no techs that had the schematics for it. Long story short,I had gotten in touch with the Boogie rep in Rockaway NY and they authorized a swap out cause I wasnt waiting to have this amp fixed.
Drove up there and had my pick of 7 Dual Rectos all with #'s under 375.
5 hrs. later and this is the one I still have today.On another trip there I actually picked up, which was at the time, one of the prototype diamond plate cabs.I got the top and bottom cab but I cant remember which one was the proto. My amp tech did fix the head the day before I went to go and pickup the swap but I told him I didnt have any faith in it.Till this day that head is still running fine... :D

noodles said:
All sounded great, but we're honestly geeking here, the guitarist equivelent of wine tasters discussing different vintages of a fine wine. :wink:
ha ha... thats the point! how much higher of a price do these usually go for over a later two channel model? i'd rather spend $1600 on a used first 500 than on a new 3 channel DR.

There are the have's and the have not's. We prefer the term " Cork Sniffing" as well.

It is all relative to supply and demand. The have nots just hate it. The have's can give an honest assesment over years of practical use.

Boogiebabies said:
There are the have's and the have not's. We prefer the term " Cork Sniffing" as well.

It is all relative to supply and demand. The have nots just hate it. The have's can give an honest assesment over years of practical use.

I thought you were a pretty good source of info, but my opinion of you just dropped ten fold....

screamingdaisy said:
Boogiebabies said:

I thought you were a pretty good source of info, but my opinion of you just dropped ten fold....

Good. The less time I have to spend here. Although, it was a joke, you can take it the way you want. I still have a 90% approval rating from you. :wink:

Boogiebabies said:
Good. The less time I have to spend here. Although, it was a joke, you can take it the way you want. I still have a 90% approval rating from you. :wink:

If it was a joke I'll leave it at that and chalk up my reaction to me being sick and tired with a killer headache. :)

If you are French Canadian, I will take it as a complement as my wife is
French Canadian and I am use to it.

Je suis un pamplemousse.

That's all the french I know. My friends and I use that line on French strippers to get them laughing as they try to correct our pronunciation.

Boogiebabies said:
As of 4/92 there were 3 revisions to the circuit. They are RF-1A,1B and 1C. By 5/93 Mesa was up to revision RF-1F. In typical Mesa fashion, they prototyped the product on the consumer. The first 500 had used different OT's and PT's. For someone to say there is no difference, I disagree unless you own one of those 500.

Yes, I've owned quite a few of the VERY early ones along with a pile of other Rectos. There are differences between all of the different versions, but all of those amps are still Mesa Dual Rectifiers and to my ears the differences between them aren't huge enough to the point to where I would compare those different versions like I would two completely different amplifiers from two different manufacturers.

I know how to dial in those amps, my ears are perfectly fine and I'm not insane.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Dale

Dale B. said:
Boogiebabies said:
As of 4/92 there were 3 revisions to the circuit. They are RF-1A,1B and 1C. By 5/93 Mesa was up to revision RF-1F. In typical Mesa fashion, they prototyped the product on the consumer. The first 500 had used different OT's and PT's. For someone to say there is no difference, I disagree unless you own one of those 500.

Yes, I've owned quite a few of the VERY early ones along with a pile of other Rectos. There are differences between all of the different versions, but all of those amps are still Mesa Dual Rectifiers and to my ears the differences between them aren't huge enough to the point to where I would compare those different versions like I would two completely different amplifiers from two different manufacturers.

I know how to dial in those amps, my ears are perfectly fine and I'm not insane.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Dale

It is like trying to compare the Bogner Ecstacy 101B to the Ecstacy Classic. The gain structure and compression are totally different, yet the circuit is 98% the same. I have spoken to Mike B. and George Mueller at lenght about this. The first DR's had less gain and less compression. They have a much more agressive attack and clarity. Whe you run the gain at 2:30 to 3:00 it has he sweetest compression. In actuality, this may have more to do with the circuit design that the transformers. Or is it the transformers? Who knows. Then again, the componentry issue is valid, but I have never been able to duplicate this amp with 10 two channels, 1 Triple channel or the RK 4. The RK 4 can get close. With all ego aside, it may be te exeption to the norm.

Have you ever played the Ecstasy 100B and then compared to the Classic or the 101B? :roll:

I wish i could try an early Recto... :oops:

The difference between the early 2ch dual rectifiers (I own number 312) and the later 2 channels is very slim. I owned a 97 Recto and it sounded IMO better than my old one, simply because it wasn't as dark sounding and noisy as my 92. I later owned a 2000 3ch model, which was different, but only a fool would nitpick. They are all Dual rectifiers and are in the same ballpark.

Look at this # RO188 !!!! http://cgi.ebay.com/MESA-BOOGIE-DUAL-RECTIFIER-SOLO-Head-Mint-New-NR_W0QQitemZ7364576633QQcategoryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

****..................!!!!! If i only had the money... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Kung-Fool said:
If the early 2 channels were so much better than why don't they continue making them like that?

Boogiebabies said:
Backdoored for a heafty price I bet.

Mesa is too progressive to leave thing alone.

+1.

Mesa is like Boss and almost never re-issues a product, or reverts back once progress has been made.

Besides, those early 2 channels were originally voiced during the hight of Grunge....their tone has been tweeked and updated to progress with the music.

i saw that a few days ago and it just kinda slapped me in the face. talk about a serious case of gas. F@$% it.... ill just wait for some tremoverb to pop up later.

Latest posts

Back