Best laptop for easy recording

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackmesa

Reaction score
what would you guys suggest for a budget of under 1400? i really want to get into recording and other things like that. so yea, what do you guys think?

Eddie

I'm waiting for Apple to release Leopard and I'll be looking to get an updated Mac Mini for home/studio and a laptop (with hopefully an outdoor display) to run Ableton Live with a MOTU 8pre interface.

For a touring rig, I'd consider two fail-over capable Mac Minis or laptops.

sorry but I'm barely seeing the keyboars so I won't read your stuff.
I'm here just to laugh.
But I don't like alesis monitors,I prefer yamaha ones.
About interface I go with DIGI 002
My eyes are closing ....... :shock:

:lol:

18&Life said:
4 am here.
And I didn't went to bed last night. :shock:

TREVA ZOMBIE :shock:

Hehe, nice. Anyways to answer your question about the laptop! you'll want a huge harddrive, standard 200gb with 2.6 dual core and 2 gb of ram. and XP alot of interfaces dont' run on vista yet.

Here is the other key part of the equation. Make sure you FireWire chipset is made by TI (Texas Instruments). The TI chipset seems to perform significantly better than other Firewire chipsets.

I work for HP and some of our laptops feature the TI chipset. I'm in the process of trying to determine which models these are featured.

I'd suggest a MacBook with 2GB of RAM. It's been a solid performer here for the past year. Using it with OSX and XP partitions, but mostly recording to the Mac side with Pro Tools. It's nice to be able to use any app regardless of the platform.
Stock it comes with Garageband and optical stereo digital i/o, so add an Apogee Mini-Me or other quality pre/converter combo and you have a nice little overdubbing rig. HTH

ned said:
Here is the other key part of the equation. Make sure you FireWire chipset is made by TI (Texas Instruments). The TI chipset seems to perform significantly better than other Firewire chipsets.

I work for HP and some of our laptops feature the TI chipset. I'm in the process of trying to determine which models these are featured.

Hey can you recommend me a firewire port ? i'm in the process of building a new computer.

i work for dell and we have plenty of laptops that would work well for you. i'd suggest a latitude d620 or d820 with 2gb of ram, 2.3 or higher core2 duo cpu, and a large hard drive. check out the refurbished site, you can get extended warranties on everything, including accidental damage insurance, also on site next business day hardware replacement.

for a d620 on the refurb site you'll find most are actually right around $1k.
and dont be scared of buying refurbished, us in tech support treat all of them the same, as long as there is warranty we take care of it.

heres a link to the site.
http://www.delloutlet.com

but i must say, i'm typing this on a HP laptop and it is pretty **** good too, just go with the better price with the warranty that works for you.

and DEFINATELY stay away from vista for atleat another 6months, its a nightmare for many peripherals.

i'd go with a macbook or a macbook pro with 2G ram. If you go apple you wont have to worry about what chipset the firewire is, ect. Plus you get garage band and it's not to bad for beginners, and simple tracking. I use a presonus firepod very transparent. Macbook start at $1000

Internal HD space is really irrelevant unless your dumb enough to keep all your projects on internal laptop drives that often fail. I see at least 3 art students a yr on the verge of crying because they do that. I myself use a firewire HD to record to. You can get more throughput with an external which translates to more tracks and less latency. If i was buying new i'd go eSATA on the external. If you don't have the funds for the drive i'd make sure to back up and not try and store everything on your drive at once. Stay away from usb 2 slow as hell especially on non intel macs.

nomad100hd said:
i'd go with a macbook or a macbook pro with 2G ram. If you go apple you wont have to worry about what chipset the firewire is, ect. Plus you get garage band and it's not to bad for beginners, and simple tracking. I use a presonus firepod very transparent. Macbook start at $1000

Internal HD space is really irrelevant unless your dumb enough to keep all your projects on internal laptop drives that often fail. I see at least 3 art students a yr on the verge of crying because they do that. I myself use a firewire HD to record to. You can get more throughput with an external which translates to more tracks and less latency. If i was buying new i'd go eSATA on the external. If you don't have the funds for the drive i'd make sure to back up and not try and store everything on your drive at once. Stay away from usb 2 slow as hell especially on non intel macs.

this is all you need to know. my macbook works wonders. pro tools FTW. just be sure to get a decent sized external HD. 250 GB+. good luck.

Back