Peavey JSX Mini Colossal review
(2) mp3's for you to consider….
(good for 7 days from jul 14 07)
the Mini C and Yamaha DG stomp
the clean and dirty guitar.... clean sunburst, dirty cream
1st, i have to say, i'm goofy, and i play goofy... especially on this recording!
i basically threw the gear together, got levels, panned the direct hard to the left, and the miced track hard to the right, tweaked the amp a bit, and just slapped it down. The volume off the Cab, was truely bedroom volume... if you listen carefully, you can hear me stomping my feet, and hear the pick noise on the strings- coming thru the cab mic.
i couldn't figure out a better way to quickly do it, except to just hard pan em.... if you can, you can solo left and right seperately, to hear them apart from each other...
or you can pan your balance hard left or right, depending on what you're listening through...
point is, i didn't care about comparing the direct to the miced sound... i just wanted to hear how the amp sounded recorded.
when i get down to it, to record for real, i'll spend time tweaking everything anyway, so this is just the amp sound flat, no eq'ing on mixdown. all effects are the Yamaha DG stomp in the FX loop.
guitar signal: (Barber Tone Press, Barber Direct Drive SS, and boss NS-1 used off and on- see mp3 notes)
direct: out XLR>>A Designs Audio MP-1 mic pre>>DBX MC6>>ART DPS convertor (only)>>Maudio 2496>>Sonar.
miced cab: roland 1x12 with celestion greenback, miced with ADK Hamburg>>ART DPS preamp>>convertor out>>soundcard>>sonar.
--uses the williams custom electric (the sunburst one) for all clean tracks. Bill lawrence L-280 pickups.
1. No pedals, straight amp, no. 2 position-- then switches to neck pickup 0:00-0:46
2. same as above, but add tremelo on amp, subtle setting. 0:46-1:10
3. add tone press, yamaha DG stomp in loop, a bit more drive (vol) 1:11-1:37
4. a little more drive, same as above different pickup config 1:38-end.
--uses the cream strat, starts out with humbucker (lawrence L500L)
1. straight into the MiniC, with gain about noon, and 'sponge' set at about 1/3 full. 0:00-0:58
2. straight into the MiniC, but with dimed vol, sponge at about 1/4 full, 0:59-1:41
3. Gain at about noon, but ADD the barber direct drive pedal and NS-1; add FX loop 1:42-2:22
4. gain at noon, Add tone press (no drive pedal), neck pickup. 2:23-3:11
5. pos. #4 on guitar, settings same as above 3:12-3:40
6. straight into the MiniC, humbucker bridge, w/FX loop, with gain about 11, and 'sponge' set at about 1/3 full. 3:41-end