• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1979 Mesa Boogie Mark IIA

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'59fatburst

Reaction score
For sale on Reverb, pictures in the listing. $999 shipped and PP.

https://reverb.com/item/33990752-mesa-boogie-mark-iia-1979-black-black-mk-2

This is a vintage 1979 Mesa Boogie Mark IIA amplifier. This Boogie was built on 8/10/1979 and was ordered as an "SSG" combo which means "Super Sixty Graphic". It's 60 watts powered by a pair of 6L6 tubes and includes the graphic EQ which is essential when using the overdrive channel. This amp is equipped with the original Eminence built Mesa speaker which also dates to 1979. Total weight of the amp is 51.0 lbs. A modern speaker would get this amp into the 45-46 lb. range. That's pretty light for the power output!

This Mark II is in very clean condition and has not been abused. There's a small snag in the grill cloth and some minor scuffs, chips and dings in the tolex covering. Nothing major or very noticeable. One of the EQ fader knobs is missing. The main input gain pot is a little scratchy. It seems that the boost feature has been modified to be active only when on the overdrive channel. I believe this was a common thing to do with these back in the day and my other Mark IIA has a similar modification.

The amp works great! It sounds wonderful with a full, warm clean tone and a nice, smooth and clean sustain. You can add sparkle and chime via the very sensitive presence control on the rear. I've always felt that the older Boogie Mark series clean tones were criminally underrated and the Mark IIA is considered one of the best clean sounds of the early Boogie era. They are very malleable and do not have the hard, cold harshness of a Blackface Fender. The also work great is a pedal platform. The overdrive, of course, is the star of the show! It's super fat, rich and very vocal. Endless sustain is available at your fingertips.

This amp will include a generic, vintage one button footswitch for channel selection. Clean examples of these are getting harder to find and the prices are starting to rise. This is a portable, giggable and very flexible amp for the money.

Please see my other listings for speakers. If you'd prefer, we can work something out if you want to substitute the OEM speaker for something else.

Nice. I have a plain no EQ 60W, great amp. Mine came with the same speaker (got the amp used around 1981) but I bought an MS 12 not long afterwards. Is the speaker Eminence per the code? I was never sure as early catalogs were not clear. Lots of people were upgrading to Altec and JBL, Gauss was sometimes mentioned.

The amp is plenty loud! If I had the $ and a place to play out, would do a stereo rig.

Eminence per information on the Weber site. Made in 1979

https://www.tedweber.com/speaker-codes-application/

Yes, that's an Eminence speaker. A lot of people look to change them but, it's actually a nice sounding speaker. Full, warm, smooth. It's still a bit heavy, though.

'59fatburst said:
Yes, that's an Eminence speaker. A lot of people look to change them but, it's actually a nice sounding speaker. Full, warm, smooth. It's still a bit heavy, though.

Well, most anything original Boogie is heavy! You can count on them to only install great sounding parts. Good luck with the sale

[/quote]Well, most anything original Boogie is heavy! You can count on them to only install great sounding parts. Good luck with the sale
[/quote]
Amen to that!

Latest posts

Back