• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

no longer for sale

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would think, but although it does not look it, it was regularly gigged and played. Mike B tested it all out last year and said it didnt need it, everything is still in great shape.

LockStock said:
You would think, but although it does not look it, it was regularly gigged and played. Mike B tested it all out last year and said it didnt need it, everything is still in great shape.

Ok just that if I bought it I would be shipping it overseas to a friend afterwards and then to in a year find it needed a recap ..... which basically all old amps need it would be expensive to ship it back to Mesa... better to get it done now and know it's done. Maybe he just thought it sounded good as is but any of the original caps could deteriorate drastically at any time. We could get it recapped in Australia but for and amp at a collectors price it would be better to be able to say Mesa did the recap themselves.

How would you be shipping it? She does look minty so if you don't have one maybe we should source a flight case for her if you don't have one.

I'm local to Mesa, and I've had a few of these. Had one that needed to be recapped. If they are played a lot - and this one was gigged regularly by a jazz musician for most of its life - my understanding is the caps can be good, just like with some old Fender and Marshall amps. In particular, I've had quite a few more Fender amps that are 20 years older that this,with original caps that work fine mainly because they have been played so regularly for 50 years. Others need the cap job badly. In my experience, changing caps does affect the tone. The stated values are clear, but the actual values on the caps just won't exactly match what the amp had, given the tolerances of the old caps.

This one was to be my keeper, and I wanted Mike at Mesa to do whatever needed to be done to make sure it was good to go. It would come with the original cord and the one replaced cap.

Anyway, it might be sold locally (waiting on that), or I might keep it. Shipping to Australia without a case would necessitate removing the chassis and shipping separately. I appreciate the interest, but I agree, this amp going to Australia at its age and value and weight might not be a good idea. I wouldn't want it crisscrossing oceans too much.

Latest posts

Back