• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Quad Preamp in great condition

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought it three years ago from a craigslist ad in Hollywood, CA. I lived in Georgia at the time, but I had a good friend of mine who happened to live just a few miles away from the seller. (which was a bizarre coincidence!) My friend picked it up for me and then he shipped it DIRECTLY to the main Mesa Boogie service department headquarters in Petaluma, CA. (of course, I compensated him for his time, the seller's fee, & shipping). The Mesa guys checked it out and said, "looks/sounds good"... "no repairs even needed!", then shipped it to me. (I think they cleaned the pots and stuff like that)

NOTE: I sent it FIRST to Petaluma (before I even saw it) ONLY as a precaution because I knew that I may not even recognize a problem if there was one, since I had so little experience with Mesa Boogies at that time. Fortunately, it was in great condition.

After using it for two years without problems, the overdrive side of channel 1 went out. I was very busy so I switched to using the channel 2 overdrive for a while. Finally, I took it to Andrews Amp Lab near Atlanta, and for a reasonable cost, they found and fixed the problem and channel 2's overdrive was back operational. (some tiny component was replaced--a very minor and inexpensive fix) yeah!

Next, I used it for about another year... but then I started having this problem where one of the 2 outputs would intermittently fade down to a weak am radio-ish sounding low volume.

So, a few weeks ago, I sent it to another authorized repair shop and they said, "we've tested it thoroughly... even testing after leaving it on for hours... and we can't find any problems. We did a thorough cleaning of it and other routine maintenance, and we're wondering if that fixed whatever problem you had? Or maybe it was something ELSE in your chain that was causing that, like your power amp or effects processor, or something?"

My next step is to hook it back up and do some more testing just to be sure that part is now working (I'll try to isolate the preamp better in my testing the next time I check that out--maybe it wasn't even the Quad to begin with?). At least it is good that I got another Authorized Repair center to do an extensive check just before trying to sell it!

Next, I'll take pictures and post a video of it in action. But I'm very busy with work right now. So it might be a week or two before I get around to all of that.

In the meantime, I haven't yet set a price, so I'd love some suggestions about what is a fair price for this?

Also, it doesn't come with the FU-2A footswitch - but it does have the jack for that. But I have a NOBELS MS-4 midi switcher w/patch cables. It simulates the footswitch functionality except it is controlled via midi!) I'm including that in this offering. (NOBELS MS-4 and similar types of units tend to sell for about $100 used)

Again, I haven't set a price yet. If you want to make an offer, let me know (it can be contingent upon being satisfied with the pics, video, etc). I'll try to have the photos and video up in a couple of weeks, then I'll start replying to offers, first contacting those who posted an offer (or interest to buy) here.

PS - I think I'm only willing/able to ship this within the 48 Contiguous US States.

Rob

UPDATE: I just noticed that the posting requirements for this strongly encourage the seller to name a price. Therefore, I'm thinking $1,200 plus shipping, OBO.
--Rob

For what it's worth, I have experienced the same issue with my Studio Preamp basically the entire time I've owned it, which has been about ten years now. My solution is simply to use the effects send instead of the main output. Works great.

Latest posts

Back